House GOP Says It's Too Late To Pass An Unemployment Extension

OnePercenter

Gold Member
Apr 10, 2013
More GOP Screwing of the Middle Class. Boehner, "lawmakers shouldn't bother". Wow!, really? Shouldn't bother?

WASHINGTON -- Republicans in the House of Representatives say it's just too late to pass legislation restoring unemployment benefits to the 2 million workers who've missed out since December.

The Senate advanced a bill reauthorizing the benefits in a procedural vote on Thursday, setting up passage as soon as next week. Then the ball would be in House Speaker John Boehner's (R-Ohio) court.

Boehner has voiced opposition to the bill. Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee, which oversees unemployment insurance, elaborated Thursday on Boehner's recent argument that the Senate measure would be "unworkable" even if Congress approved it -- so lawmakers shouldn't bother.

Interesting. They had plenty of chance to pass an unemployment extension before Christmas. What happened then? They all went home. So stop pretending to give a damn. Please.

If you don't think the extension should be passed, then make your case.
Don't just say - oops, too late. Don't bother.

THAT pisses people off.

Is the GOP just hell-bent on destroying itself?

More GOP Screwing of the Middle Class. Boehner, "lawmakers shouldn't bother". Wow!, really? Shouldn't bother?

WASHINGTON -- Republicans in the House of Representatives say it's just too late to pass legislation restoring unemployment benefits to the 2 million workers who've missed out since December.

The Senate advanced a bill reauthorizing the benefits in a procedural vote on Thursday, setting up passage as soon as next week. Then the ball would be in House Speaker John Boehner's (R-Ohio) court.

Boehner has voiced opposition to the bill. Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee, which oversees unemployment insurance, elaborated Thursday on Boehner's recent argument that the Senate measure would be "unworkable" even if Congress approved it -- so lawmakers shouldn't bother.

Just amazing.

this new class of bums, the long termed unemployed for two frikken years now...Can go stand in line to get on welfare and live off taxpayers that way...

now get going, the majority of us are sick of your whining already

THAT pisses people off.

Let them eat cake.

:eusa_shhh:

Yeah, historically speaking - that hasn't been a very effective platform plank.

I'm open to debate the pros and cons of extending benefits, but to just be flippant and blow it off like, "it just doesn't matter enough to even have the debate" ...

Man - that's just stupid.

Boehner has some important repeal Obamacare bills to pass. I can see where he doesn't have time for this legislation

Of these people who are getting cutting ....
What percentage are folks who have worked and paid taxes their whole life until hitting hard times recently?
Now, how are those folks gonna feel when you tell them, "Sorry, your situation isn't important enough to us to even discuss" ???

Does Boehner realize how this disinterest sounds to THOSE folks? Is he really that stupid?

THAT pisses people off.

He did Boehner Gives Thumbs Down To Unemployment Benefits Deal, Citing Implementation Problems

So what?

Nope

What are you trying to argue here?

I'm not arguing anything. I linked his reasoning, which was linked in the article. So you're being pissed off is your own doing.

It's the right position as far as most conservatives are concerned so this is a winning strategy. Being fiscally irresponsible isn't.

I'm not arguing anything. I linked his reasoning, which was linked in the article. So you're being pissed off is your own doing.

It's the right position as far as most conservatives are concerned so this is a winning strategy. Being fiscally irresponsible isn't.

What makes you think I'm pissed off? I'm not.

I guess we will see if the strategy is a winner. Boehner's "rationale" doesn't really address anything. Sounds like a flippant blow off, but I guess everyone is entitled to interpret his remarks (or lack thereof) as they choose.

But to hang these folks out to dry without even a discussion or a debate ... sounds a whole lot like "Let them eat cake" to me. Or at the very least "I'm not gonna consider YOUR proposal, YOU consider MINE (that don't address this particular issue)"

He hasn't been very successful in the past with this approach ...

Then why say it?
I guess we will see if the strategy is a winner. Boehner's "rationale" doesn't really address anything. Sounds like a flippant blow off, but I guess everyone is entitled to interpret his remarks (or lack thereof) as they choose.

But to hang these folks out to dry without even a discussion or a debate ... sounds a whole lot like "Let them eat cake" to me. Or at the very least "I'm not gonna consider YOUR proposal, YOU consider MINE (that don't address this particular issue)"

Whatever. The link I provided isn't a flippant blow off that you claim pisses people off

Then why say it?

Whatever. The link I provided isn't a flippant blow off that you claim pisses people off

I appreciate your opinion on that. I will agree to disagree ... and I think the people who this affects will agree with me.

Forum List

Back