Houston elects first openly gay mayor

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Houston - Annise Parker, a lesbian who has never made a secret or an issue of her sexual orientation, on Saturday was elected mayor of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city.

With the victory, Parker, 53, will become the first openly gay mayor of such a large American city. The population of the Texas city is about 2.2 million.

Her victory comes two days after Democrats in California's Assembly unanimously tapped John A. Perez of Los Angeles to be their speaker. He will be the first openly gay lawmaker to hold the powerful post.

With almost all of Houston's 738 precincts reporting, Parker had 53% of the vote and Gene Locke 47%, according to the Harris County website.

The fiercely contested election battle leading up to Saturday's balloting was marked by anti-gay rhetoric. Locke, 61, condemned such tactics.

Houston elects first openly gay mayor -- latimes.com

Good for her. It was nice to see her opponent condemned such tactics as well.

Houston - Annise Parker, a lesbian who has never made a secret or an issue of her sexual orientation, on Saturday was elected mayor of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city.

With the victory, Parker, 53, will become the first openly gay mayor of such a large American city. The population of the Texas city is about 2.2 million.

Her victory comes two days after Democrats in California's Assembly unanimously tapped John A. Perez of Los Angeles to be their speaker. He will be the first openly gay lawmaker to hold the powerful post.

With almost all of Houston's 738 precincts reporting, Parker had 53% of the vote and Gene Locke 47%, according to the Harris County website.

The fiercely contested election battle leading up to Saturday's balloting was marked by anti-gay rhetoric. Locke, 61, condemned such tactics.

Houston elects first openly gay mayor -- latimes.com

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my God--You mean that all those "right-wing" religious nut-case Republicans elected a Lesbian mayor?--:lol::lol: In Houston TEXAS?--home of the Republican party--:lol::lol: This lesbian has got to be very conservative to win in Houston Texas--another misnomer theory of liberals. "That all gays are liberals." That one just went out the window--:lol::lol:

I guess this dispells alot of the liberal points of view about Republicans being anti-gay. In fact Criss, I am surprised as HELL that you even posted this thread--:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Wow, she's a dyke... big fucking deal. It's as if we're all back in High School and Carrie White just won prom queen... Good thing she didn't take an office with any responsibility. I'm just glad that the opposition and those now dancing in the streets aren't distracting us from this massive social accomplishment with politics or questions about what to do about the citty budget or anything related to running a city. I mean, it's not like she's a mayor or anything...

Oh my God--You mean that all those "right-wing" religious nut-case Republicans elected a Lesbian mayor?
Since Jerry Falwell died, gays have nothing to fear from Republicans, and vise-versa. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship...

☭proletarian☭;1803464 said:
Wow, she's a dyke... big fucking deal. It's as if we're all back in High School and Carrie White just won prom queen... Good thing she didn't take an office with any responsibility. I'm just glad that the opposition and those now dancing in the streets aren't distracting us from this massive social accomplishment with politics or questions about what to do about the citty budget or anything related to running a city. I mean, it's not like she's a mayor or anything...

So we should expect her to be covered with blood in the near future? :lol:

☭proletarian☭;1803467 said:
Why are people concerned with whether she's a rugmuncher or not?

Religion.

sounds like a pretty stupid reason to distract from her responsibilities as mayor and what she plans to do about any issues the city is facing

☭proletarian☭;1803464 said:

So we should expect her to be covered with blood in the near future? :lol:

I guess that depends on how comfortable she and her partner are with their bodies. Personally, I'd rather not know....

☭proletarian☭;1803475 said:
sounds like a pretty stupid reason to distract from her responsibilities as mayor and what she plans to do about any issues the city is facing

Well, of course it shouldn't matter what her sexual orientation is. However, considering the obstacles that people before her had faced, of course this is big to many.

The real victory for the Gay Rights crowd will be when the Gay Rights crowd doesn't exist because people stop making such a big deal out of it (same for the Race Pride/Power/Empowerment bullshit). Are there not more important things to worry about- like her policies and [plans for the city?

☭proletarian☭;1803490 said:
The real victory for the Gay Rights crowd will be when the Gay Rights crowd doesn't exist because people stop making such a big deal out of it (same for the Race Pride/Power/Empowerment bullshit).
This is precisely why it is such a victory...in the heart of Republicanland, her sexuality didn't matter.

☭proletarian☭;1803490 said:
The real victory for the Gay Rights crowd will be when the Gay Rights crowd doesn't exist because people stop making such a big deal out of it (same for the Race Pride/Power/Empowerment bullshit).
This is precisely why it is such a victory...in the heart of Republicanland, her sexuality didn't matter.

So they celebrate by focusing on it and making it the issue?

I don't follow. Counter the idiocy on the other side and then focus on the policies. Stop making it an issue; else you're really no different than the opposition.

☭proletarian☭;1803496 said:
So they celebrate by focusing on it and making it the issue?
The LATimes wrote this article...it wasn't an issue in the election at all.

☭proletarian☭;1803496 said:
I don't follow. Counter the idiocy on the other side and then focus on the policies. Stop making it an issue; else you're really no different than the opposition.
The LA Times is a liberal rag...not a group of gay activists. They publish what is going to interest their readers, not what is best for the homosexual movement.

Forum List

Back