Houston Is Drowning In Its Freedom From Regulations

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-5.30.54-AM-800x430.png

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations

I'm trying to feel sad that the Starbucks in the photo got flooded.

Nope. Just can't quite get there.

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Did you have a "no flooding regulation" in mind that would have prevented this?

Actually, there is one.

From the link:

In less-free cities, the jackbooted thugs in the zoning department impose limits on the amount of impervious cover in a development. Some of the limits can be finessed by lining parking lots with bricks turned sideways, so grass can be planted in the holes.

You want to make this political then tell me what the Democratic Mayor has done to help prevent this natural disaster out of their control?

Oh, I bet you did not know the Mayor of Houston is Democrat and has been for years, so let me guess it is another person fault, so who will you blame?

Maybe Governor Abbott?

Maybe Trump?

How do you stop a record breaking Hurricane?

Do you tell it to stop and wait until you can blame the GOP?

I have been riding this storm out and yes many of us have been talking but you and most of you Yankees have the answers. So teach us where us Texans fail and please forgive us for not being armchair Qb's.

I know you have all the answers!

FYI:

Nine Trillion Gallons of rain fell, so tell me how do you stop that?

Actually, there is one.

From the link:

In less-free cities, the jackbooted thugs in the zoning department impose limits on the amount of impervious cover in a development. Some of the limits can be finessed by lining parking lots with bricks turned sideways, so grass can be planted in the holes.

After that grass absorbs the first inch of rain, where's the "absorb the other 48 fucking inches of rain" regulation?

Houston Is Drowning In Its Freedom From Regulations

TRANSLATION: Houston should give up necessary freedoms to obtain a little temporary safely against floods.

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?
If not you have nothing to worry about.
Lower income people love the houses near the jobs they'll be doing.

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

Remember the movie Full Metal Jacket?

A quote from one of the Marines being interviewed after battle in Que City.

"Poor dumb bastards, I guess they would rather be alive than free".

Part of the problem is not "impervious" cover...it's in the geology of the area - impervious clay soil.

So what zoning regulations would have prevented flooding after 54 inches of rain?

You're another snowflake who is dumber than a cockroach.

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

You let me know when you find a state thats done more to control hurricanes than Texas.

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?

No city has "adequate drainage" for 54 inches of rain, dumbass. Furthermore, Houston is in a flat marshy area, and it's below sea level. What regulations do you propose do prevent flooding during a hurricane, move the whole city another 250 miles inland? That would make their industry of being a port city rather difficult, don't you think?

The answer is that no you didn't think. You're a left-wing dumbass.

Forum List

Back