Houston Is Drowning In Its Freedom From Regulations

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?
If not you have nothing to worry about.
Lower income people love the houses near the jobs they'll be doing.

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

Remember the movie Full Metal Jacket?

A quote from one of the Marines being interviewed after battle in Que City.

"Poor dumb bastards, I guess they would rather be alive than free".
No city has "adequate drainage" for 54 inches of rain, dumbass. Furthermore, Houston is in a flat marshy area, and it's below sea level. What regulations do you propose do prevent flooding during a hurricane, move the whole city another 250 miles inland? That would make their industry of being a port city rather difficult, don't you think?

The answer is that no you didn't think. You're a left-wing dumbass.

No, he is right about one thing - paving huge areas has contributed to increased flooding in places that are normally flood plains. It certainly doesn't HELP the problem.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-5.30.54-AM-800x430.png

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations

You want to make this political then tell me what the Democratic Mayor has done to help prevent this natural disaster out of their control?

Oh, I bet you did not know the Mayor of Houston is Democrat and has been for years, so let me guess it is another person fault, so who will you blame?

Maybe Governor Abbott?

Maybe Trump?

How do you stop a record breaking Hurricane?

Do you tell it to stop and wait until you can blame the GOP?

I have been riding this storm out and yes many of us have been talking but you and most of you Yankees have the answers. So teach us where us Texans fail and please forgive us for not being armchair Qb's.

I know you have all the answers!

FYI:

Nine Trillion Gallons of rain fell, so tell me how do you stop that?
You can tax it like O'Malley did here in Maryland.

We've had minimal flooding since.

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

No city has "adequate drainage" for 54 inches of rain, dumbass. Furthermore, Houston is in a flat marshy area, and it's below sea level. What regulations do you propose do prevent flooding during a hurricane, move the whole city another 250 miles inland? That would make their industry of being a port city rather difficult, don't you think?

No, he is right about one thing - paving huge areas has contributed to increased flooding in places that are normally flood plains. It certainly doesn't HELP the problem.

So what city hasn't paved huge areas? Big government New York? Chicago? New Orleans? The last one has been run by Democrats for 200 years. They sure did a good job of preventing flooding, didn't they?

Houston Is Drowning In Its Freedom From Regulations

TRANSLATION: If anything goes wrong, bring in more big government restrictions.
Nah....just take pictures of fat ass conservatives floating face down in flood waters because they couldn't tread water and didn't believe in global climate change.

Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?

So what city hasn't paved huge areas? Big government New York? Chicago? New Orleans? The last one has been run be Democrats for 200 years. They sure did a good job of preventing flooding, didn't they?

It has nothing to do with political parties.

Are you saying paving over natural drainage and flood plains has no effect on floods?

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

So what zoning regulations would have prevented flooding after 54 inches of rain?

You're another snowflake who is dumber than a cockroach.

Probably none. However, there were good regulations proposed to make sure rebuilding would be better able to withstand flooding. Those are the regulations Trump rescinded recently.

Name a city that could handle nine trillion gallons of water???

Come on and tell me because it is amazing you are ignoring the historical event that just happen to Houston!?!

Let me ask you this:

Which one dumped more water?

A. Katrina

B. Harvey

Then please explain what engineering degree you have and seeing you have all the answers to how to prevent flooding when nine trillion gallons of water is being dumped then get down here and fix it and if not then why not!?!

Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?

So what city hasn't paved huge areas? Big government New York? Chicago? New Orleans? The last one has been run by Democrats for 200 years. They sure did a good job of preventing flooding, didn't they?
Capitalism and tax breaks by the GOP has gone a long way in helping with natural disasters.

Come on and tell me because it is amazing you are ignoring the historical event that just happen to Houston!?!

Let me ask you this:

A. Katrina

B. Harvey

Then please explain what engineering degree you have and seeing you have all the answers to how to prevent flooding when nine trillion gallons of water is being dumped then get down here and fix it and if not then why not!?!

You really can't plan for thousand year floods...it's like planning for an asteroid strike.

So what zoning regulations would have prevented flooding after 54 inches of rain?

Probably none. However, there were good regulations proposed to make sure rebuilding would be better able to withstand flooding. Those are the regulations Trump rescinded recently.

No zoning regulation is going to prevent 54 inches of rain from causing a flood.

No zoning regulation is going to prevent 54 inches of rain from causing a flood.

Maybe not. But it might make the flood less damaging.

Are you dirt poor?

So what city hasn't paved huge areas? Big government New York? Chicago? New Orleans? The last one has been run be Democrats for 200 years. They sure did a good job of preventing flooding, didn't they?

Are you saying paving over natural drainage and flood plains has no effect on floods?

Sure it does. The corrupt Democrat city government of New Orleans took money intended to improve the levies and gave it to parasites.

Sure it does. The corrupt Democrat city government of New Orleans took money intended to improve the levies and gave it to parasites.

Ah, I see. It only has something to do with political parties when it's Dems :lol:

Ah, I see. It only has something to do with political parties when it's Dems :lol:
That's almost always the case when human error is the cause of a disaster.

Let me ask you this:

A. Katrina

B. Harvey

You really can't plan for thousand year floods...it's like planning for an asteroid strike.

You can just hope to get something correct.

Do not get me wrong because I can see the difference where I live and what happen in Houston.

I am in Fort Bend region and we were flooded but now my yard is dry.

So the lack of build up in the region did help. Better drainage and learning some regions you do not build housing on need to be consider.

With that written you are correct what just happen has never been recorded before and we are shattering records.

We learn from it and build to make sure we can withstand double the next time if we were smart, but we are not!

The blame game is not going to help and please know I am not accusing you but others are putting blame on some that did their best!

Forum List

Back