Houston Is Drowning In Its Freedom From Regulations

TRANSLATION: If anything goes wrong, bring in more big government restrictions.
No...Houston is just fine. No regulations.
Zoning regulations have little to do with flood control.

Yes they do.

How so?
Lots of paving, no permit: Board of Zoning Adjustment to review more concrete lawns

Yes they do.

How so?
Lots of paving, no permit: Board of Zoning Adjustment to review more concrete lawns

Yes they do.

How so?
They do have to get a building permit. I never saw a "concrete lawn" when I was working there.

They do have to get a building permit. I never saw a "concrete lawn" when I was working there.

I was pointing out how zoning effects flood control....

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-5.30.54-AM-800x430.png

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations
You're a damn fool.

Unfortunately you didn't. Zoning and building codes are two separate things. You still have to get a permit and comply with building codes when you build in Houston. Zoning only controls what kind of structures can be built on a given piece of land.

Zoning is communism.
Zoning is civilization.

Are you dirt poor?
If not you have nothing to worry about.
Lower income people love the houses near the jobs they'll be doing.

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

Remember the movie Full Metal Jacket?

A quote from one of the Marines being interviewed after battle in Que City.

"Poor dumb bastards, I guess they would rather be alive than free".
No city on earth can shed FOUR OR FIVE FUCKING FEET OF WATER.

Christ you people are stupid

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-5.30.54-AM-800x430.png

We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations

Who ever wrote that is totally clueless. Not only are new development required to consider flood controls, most are required to build retention ponds to keep water form going into the larger system immediately. You can't plan for 30-60 inches of rain in 5 days over thousand of square miles.

Are you dirt poor?
If not you have nothing to worry about.
Lower income people love the houses near the jobs they'll be doing.

Thats true everywhere. The difference being cities that have adequate drainage, sewage systems and impervious grounds don't have the problems Houston does.

Remember the movie Full Metal Jacket?

A quote from one of the Marines being interviewed after battle in Que City.

"Poor dumb bastards, I guess they would rather be alive than free".
No city has "adequate drainage" for 54 inches of rain, dumbass. Furthermore, Houston is in a flat marshy area, and it's below sea level. What regulations do you propose do prevent flooding during a hurricane, move the whole city another 250 miles inland? That would make their industry of being a port city rather difficult, don't you think?

The answer is that no you didn't think. You're a left-wing dumbass.

No, he is right about one thing - paving huge areas has contributed to increased flooding in places that are normally flood plains. It certainly doesn't HELP the problem.

So what city hasn't paved huge areas? Big government New York? Chicago? New Orleans? The last one has been run by Democrats for 200 years. They sure did a good job of preventing flooding, didn't they?
Capitalism and tax breaks by the GOP has gone a long way in helping with natural disasters.
Did Rachel tell you that?

Nah....just take pictures of fat ass conservatives floating face down in flood waters because they couldn't tread water and didn't believe in global climate change.
The ones who are floating face down probably believed in your absurd climate religion.

Name a city that could handle nine trillion gallons of water???

Come on and tell me because it is amazing you are ignoring the historical event that just happen to Houston!?!

Let me ask you this:

Which one dumped more water?

A. Katrina

B. Harvey

Then please explain what engineering degree you have and seeing you have all the answers to how to prevent flooding when nine trillion gallons of water is being dumped then get down here and fix it and if not then why not!?!

Oh well Trump must chose between rebuilding Houston or building the wall and giving tax breaks to the 1 percent

Forum List

Back