How can an atheist have morals?

Morality is most likely the emergent quality of both the genetics and enculturation of social beings. Morality is simply how one treats others. All social animals display morality. Without morality human societies would've never emerged and, as social beings, morality is imperative for cooperation and therefore survival.
Right. Alpha dog doesn't kill all its competition. Just the beta and gamma. Lol

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?
No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?
Asked and answered: knowledge of right and wrong comes from man.

op question has been answered for centuries

2016 still cant figure it out? usmb!

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?
Why do you think you have to believe in god to have morals?
Well I believe morality has to come from a higher source than the natural world alone.

I'm not aware of many atheists who believe anything exists other than the natural world.
You don’t know anything about what those free from faith believe.

And your belief that morality comes from a ‘higher source’ is completely devoid of fact, evidence, proof, or logic.

You don't believe in an afterlife? Which religion do you belong to?

The bolded text was answered...you just don't like the answer
where are your evidences that "everthing is over" after life?

Burden of proof of an afterlife is on you
don't want to answer the simple question? Unlike you i have never claimed that i know that something is afterlife, but i believe in that. So, if you do not believe, but know something, you have to show evidences. So...
You can't prove a negative

You believe in an afterlife...that is your hypothesis, not mine

Burden of proof is on you. In the absence of proof of your positive, I assume the negative
if you know something, you can prove it. So, i see, that you were lying and believe that there is nothing after life like others believe that there is something. So, let us see now who is right. No so much time to wait though...

I have proof you are born
I have proof you die

Anything beyond that is your claim and the burden of proof falls on you. In the absence of proof, I assume the negative

It sounds like the OP needs to meet more atheists. I can't think of another atheist I have met that could be described as materialistic. The same can't be said for religious people. Regardless, I don't stereotype them as more interested in their possessions and physical comfort than what is right or wrong. Since when are humans not animals? Morality, like many other things, was co-opted by religion.
I'm saying if one believes the material world is all that exists I don't see how someone can derive universal morals while remaining logically consistent.
And what you’re saying is wrong.

Humans are perfectly capable of developing and adhering to morals and values absent a ‘higher source.’

Morals and values are created by man – what’s confusing for so many is that those moral beliefs and values were created behind the façade of religious doctrine and dogma, creating the illusion that morals and values come from a ‘higher source.’

Understanding and acknowledging this fact is perfectly consistent and logical.

So, are you saying that it's only the threat of eternal damnation that prevents you from raping, torturing and murder?
No I believe morality can be found in universal metaphysical laws.

If someone believes the physical world is all that exists though where does their knowledge of right and wrong come from?
And if the physical world is all that exists, cannot a moral and ethical code develop? Why does someone need the carrot of an imagined afterlife to behave well. While the stick of eternal damnation is only effective in the fearful, the ignorant and the suspicious.

Last edited:
Burden of proof is on you
and as i said, if one believes in something, there is no need in proving, cause that is the point of faith.

So if I have faith there is an invisible guy in my room that means I am stating a fact?
nope. You are stating your faith. Is it the fact we may see somewhen.
I saw where you admitted faith is not proof.
of course not. You may believe or may not. Everybody is free.

Why do you think you have to believe in god to have morals?
Well I believe morality has to come from a higher source than the natural world alone.

I'm not aware of many atheists who believe anything exists other than the natural world.
You don’t know anything about what those free from faith believe.

And your belief that morality comes from a ‘higher source’ is completely devoid of fact, evidence, proof, or logic.
If they aren't convinced God is real they're at least convinced it is necessary.

I've even imagine if we lived in a society where there was no God what reason would people have to turn in money they found?

Forum List

Back