How Detroit almost killed my business

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
What really killed Detroit and what drove me away was the government deciding it knew how the market should operate better than the market did. The market operates on a simple concept, "An honest day's pay for an honest day's work." If an employee doesn't think he is being paid enough, he can leave. If an employer is unhappy with an employee's performance he can fire him.

Well-meaning government programs such as Unemployment Insurance, Workman's Compensation and Wrongful Discharge (i.e. age discrimination, sex discrimination, racial discrimination etc.), that were meant to help and protect employees turned this market concept on its head. In Detroit, hiring someone became the worst thing an employer could do, and being fired became one of the best days in an employee's life. Allow me to explain.

Read more: Articles: How Detroit Almost Killed My Business
Follow us: [MENTION=20123]American[/MENTION]Thinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

What really killed Detroit and what drove me away was the government deciding it knew how the market should operate better than the market did. The market operates on a simple concept, "An honest day's pay for an honest day's work." If an employee doesn't think he is being paid enough, he can leave. If an employer is unhappy with an employee's performance he can fire him.

Well-meaning government programs such as Unemployment Insurance, Workman's Compensation and Wrongful Discharge (i.e. age discrimination, sex discrimination, racial discrimination etc.), that were meant to help and protect employees turned this market concept on its head. In Detroit, hiring someone became the worst thing an employer could do, and being fired became one of the best days in an employee's life. Allow me to explain.

Follow us: [MENTION=20123]American[/MENTION]Thinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Nice work of fiction.

Nice work of fiction.

thats what I was thinking also I smelled bullshit when I read that one.

Nice work of fiction.

And both of you get negged for trolling. You won't even attempt to argue the OP will you?

Nice work of fiction.

EVERYTHING that comes from the 'smallthinker' needs to be taken with caution.

Last edited:
And both of you get negged for trolling. You won't even attempt to argue the OP will you?

ohhhhh like it scares me partisian hack.... I read the bullshit lie....

LOL. No you did not. You won't even make a counterpoint. I guess such an article could not hold your limited attention spans anyhow.

where in this thread genius did you write that the link was correct. you came here attacking one and I for trolling and your the one thats fucking trolling for a fight.

this is coming from a dude who runs to the mods when his "feelings" are hurt? Lmao....

LOL, you two don't even know who you are talking to anymore. I didn't run to the mods for anything, I slapped you two with negs. Not that it means much but hey. I guess it shows I don't piss around like certain people.

this is coming from a dude who runs to the mods when his "feelings" are hurt? Lmao....

LOL, you two don't even know who you are talking to anymore. I didn't run to the mods for anything, I slapped you two with negs. Not that it means much but hey. I guess it shows I don't piss around like certain people.

slap me 100 more pud you think I care? you never ever on this thread tred to prove the bullshit story of the op was real. because its not.

ohhhhh like it scares me partisian hack.... I read the bullshit lie....

LOL. No you did not. You won't even make a counterpoint. I guess such an article could not hold your limited attention spans anyhow.

where in this thread genius did you write that the link was correct. you came here attacking one and I for trolling and your the one thats fucking trolling for a fight.

First of all Percenter here, just flatly called it fiction, you called it bullshit. So, why it is what you call it? Surely you have a rationale for why? Or were you so unsettled or taken aback by it that you chose to demean the piece instead of offering a point?

It's not the link, you have to click on the link to know what's inside of it. You can't just judge an OP by the opening statement the poster makes.

Secondly, your preconceived biases drove you to dismiss it without putting any effort whatsoever forth in making a point. It's this lack of intellectual honesty that leads me to deduce that you two are trolls. I don't pick fights. I win them.

Finally, if you wish to argue the OP, go for it. If not, stop trolling. Or I will report you both. You wouldn't like someone trolling your threads, you would like the same respect you chose not to give ScreamingEagle. So what's it gonna be? Never mind, don't answer that.

slap me 100 more pud you think I care? you never ever on this thread tred to prove the bullshit story of the op was real. because its not.

Mad? If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be responding to me, troll. It is real, the man who wrote that article had been in business for 30 years up until that point. His name is Don Wilkie.

You really didn't read that article did you?

Last edited:

First of all Percenter here, just flatly called it fiction, you called it bullshit. So, why it is what you call it? Surely you have a rationale for why? Or were you so unsettled or taken aback by it that you chose to demean the piece instead of offering a point?

It's not the link, you have to click on the link to know what's inside of it. You can't just judge an OP by the opening statement the poster makes.

Secondly, your preconceived biases drove you to dismiss it without putting any effort whatsoever forth in making a point. It's this lack of intellectual honesty that leads me to deduce that you two are trolls. I don't pick fights. I win them.

Finally, if you wish to argue the OP, go for it. If not, stop trolling. Or I will report you both. You wouldn't like someone trolling your threads, you would like the same respect you chose not to give ScreamingEagle. So what's it gonna be? Never mind, don't answer that.

So many words to prove you dont know shit about bussiness in the midwest... it wasnt about UE insurance or work comp michigan... it was about high labor costs and Unions... the op was bullshit and a lie... you fought the wrong battle with me. neg me again like I give a fuck

Forum List

Back