How did Oil, er plants, get so very very deep?

When oil is blamed, the topic of plants came up today. So did marine organisms. So oil has been found at a depth of 40,000 feet deep. We have no oceans that deep. Most of the oil found was found where we know the oceans were not ever at.
How deep is petroleum found?

Where Does Crude Oil Come From? And 5 Other Things You Should ...

The earliest year where data is available, 1949, shows the average depth of oil wells drilled was 3,500 feet. By 2008 the average rose to 6,000 feet. And the deepest well currently existing is a massive 40,000 feet deep.Nov 17, 2023

Where Does Crude Oil Come From? And 5 Other Things You ...

Suffice to say, even today the earth is still continuing the process of making oil as we speak/write.

I suppose given that most oil is dated between 66 and 250 million years old.... That would allow plenty of time for to travel that deep.
And that doesn't denote the age of the creatures from whose fossils the oil was created. The last thing I remember reading about it was about oil we found that was made from the fossils of creatures that lived 1.4 billion years ago.

I suppose given that most oil is dated between 66 and 250 million years old.... That would allow plenty of time for to travel that deep.

Nobody has drilled for oil at 40,000 feet. They are talking about horizontal drilling NOT depth 🤣

Forum List

Back