how does a air craft carrier run into or visa versa a ship almost its size?

7 sailors missing from US Navy warship involved in collision, US admiral says
1497660037088.jpg

As a navy vet, this type of shit is unprecedented.......unbelievable....as big as the sea, and they didn't see each other? Somebody got some splaining to do and poor Obama will be blamed somehow....anybody want to place a bet?
Maybe it was dark?

Dear, I was in the Navy for 10 years and I'm very familiar with this carrier....trust me, you have watch, a look out to avoid collisions like this and I'm 1000 percent sure, both ships had look outs...this is something that should never ever ever ever happen. As a matter of fact, there are countless warning systems aboard both ships to detect anything within a certain rage of your space....somebody wasn't paying attention.

What a moron.
It wasnt a carrier which is pretty obvious from the pics and the article.
And those warning systems as you call them are called radar.

And would be obvious when viewing in port. Once again it is obvious, tigerred is not who they purport to be.
1497660037088.jpg

As a navy vet, this type of shit is unprecedented.......unbelievable....as big as the sea, and they didn't see each other? Somebody got some splaining to do and poor Obama will be blamed somehow....anybody want to place a bet?
Maybe it was dark?

Dear, I was in the Navy for 10 years and I'm very familiar with this carrier....trust me, you have watch, a look out to avoid collisions like this and I'm 1000 percent sure, both ships had look outs...this is something that should never ever ever ever happen. As a matter of fact, there are countless warning systems aboard both ships to detect anything within a certain rage of your space....somebody wasn't paying attention.

What a moron.

Since the damage on the USS Fitzgerald is on the starboard side, at first glance it appears that the captain of the US ship is at fault. Basically the other ship hit it right in the green light.

Last edited:
Looks like there might have been an attempt to intercept or to make some kind of surreptitious impromptu docking arrangement. That would explain the seeming lack of
vigilance as well as account for the dangerous proximity.

And would be obvious when viewing in port. Once again it is obvious, tigerred is not who they purport to be.
1497660037088.jpg

Maybe it was dark?

What a moron.

She figured working the gloryhole at the truck stop right outside the Navy Base gave her the right to say she served.
Which in a way I guess she did.

Looks like there might have been an attempt to intercept or to make some kind of surreptitious impromptu docking arrangement. That would explain the seeming lack of
vigilance as well as account for the dangerous proximity.

1497660037088.jpg

Maybe it was dark?

What a moron.
First off, the story talked about the arsonal that was on the ship, I made a mistake, get over it and trust me, I'm a 60 year old black woman....my memory is shit, however I know my truths and that's all that matters. I went to bootcamp in Orlando Fla. I was stationed on Coranado Island in California and 32nd street in San Diego and spent 4 years on the island of Oahu, Hawaii at a Naval Intelligence base because I was a DP2...I have a dd214 and was honorably discharge Jan. 1984

1497660037088.jpg

Maybe it was dark?

What a moron.

She figured working the gloryhole at the truck stop right outside the Navy Base gave her the right to say she served.
Which in a way I guess she did.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you cowards who never served will never, can never hurt nor harm me....in other words, up yours

1497660037088.jpg

You'd think that someone with your vast Navel knowledge would know how to spell Aircraft Carrier....just sayin.

1497660037088.jpg

Maybe it was dark?

What a moron.
Listen, you guys are not gonna school me one bit.....bottom line, somebody fucked up.

Minister on Cabinet Office probe into Kake docs- News - NHK WORLD - English
Collided ship turns right angle
A record aboard a Philippine container ship involved in a collision with a US destroyer shows that it took a sharp right turn southeast of the Izu Peninsula around 1:30 AM, about an hour before the collision was reported.

The record shows that the merchant ship, the ACX Crystal, then navigated east for about 30 minutes before making a U-turn and doubling back into the waters where the collision took place.

The ship left Nagoya, central Japan, for Tokyo on Friday evening, and passed south of the Izu Peninsula on Friday at midnight.

DCeb9OiW0AAG1HB

The container ship is over 100 ft longer than the destroyer and made a loop around at the time of the collision and came in at an angle.

Very interesting...any link to support that?

USS Fitzgerald crash: Race to find seven missing navy crew - BBC News

_96528145_dddcded5-b01d-49b7-8b2d-29d4ee161034.jpg

Very unusual for a container ship to maneuver like that.

It goes without saying something unprecedented with a huge degree of human error and perhaps nefarious activity happened.
Having said that, we will probably never know what actually happened.

It is actually on the starboard side, but in rules of the sea, navigation, the USS Fitzgerald would be at fault. But the unusual maneuver by the container ship will bring cause for deeper investigation into it.

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia
Since the damage on the US ship is on the portside, at first glance it appears that the captain of the US ship is at fault.
Yes I edited my post to note that I accidentally said portside when I meant starboard.

But the rules are more complicated. Without more details about what happened before the collision it's hard to say who was at fault.

1497660037088.jpg

Maybe it was dark?

What a moron.
First off, the story talked about the arsonal that was on the ship, I made a mistake, get over it and trust me, I'm a 60 year old black woman....my memory is shit, however I know my truths and that's all that matters. I went to bootcamp in Orlando Fla. I was stationed on Coranado Island in California and 32nd street in San Diego and spent 4 years on the island of Oahu, Hawaii at a Naval Intelligence base because I was a DP2...I have a dd214 and was honorably discharge Jan. 1984
understood....you just dont know what a Carrier looks like.....

1497660037088.jpg

Even the Navy sucks under Trump.
Well, be fair. The OP served in naval "intelligence" :) and was discharged in 1984 yet cannot distinguish between a carrier and a destroyer.

I may be confusing to some, but they are very different ships in appearance, size and function.

If that doesn't give you pause, then nothing will.

The OP has stated in the past that she is a Navy veteran, however, her service is not the topic of this thread, so move past it, please, and discuss the article. Thanks

Forum List

Back