How Dogs Help Protect Threatened Species

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
More ways in which dogs give back.

In 2005, the Little Penguin population of Australia's Middle Island dropped to fewer than 10 birds. When volunteers began keeping records in the 1990s, more than 700 penguins lived there.

Faced with the possibility of losing the colony entirely, the Warrnambool City Council knew something had to be done, but they faced numerous challenges.

At low tide, the small rocky island, which is situated just a few hundred feet from the mainland, is easily accessibly by trampling tourists and hungry predators - namely, the European red fox, an introduced species. A boardwalk was built to keep people off the rookery and efforts were made to shoot and poison the foxes, but the penguins continued to die.

Then David Williams, an environmental science student who worked part-time at a free-range egg farm approached the city council with a proposal. He suggested placing Maremma sheepdogs - the same dogs his employer used to protect chickens - on Middle Island.

How Dogs Help Protect Threatened Species | Pets - Yahoo! Shine

i love the first difficulties.....the first pups just leaving and going home at low tide...or worse the birds that laid just one egg a year and the pups liked snacking on them....i will have to remember the egg filled with pepper that is a good idea..but overall they are proving to be a success...

nice article but i never doubted...have you seen that gawdalwful doc on uk kennel club?

Forum List

Back