How Jesus became god'... from not being one. Bart Ehrman.

Startlingly, a lecture at the Atheist org.. Freedom From Religion Foundation/FFRF.. by one of thee most Renowned professor's of Religious Studies, Bart Ehrman.
One of the world's foremost experts on Christianity/NT.
Can't say he doesn't know his topic.
99% of the time he is invited to speak to religious groups.
But, as it turns out, he's an "Agnostic and an Atheist."
A good bit of the youtube on his 'new' book, 'How Jesus became God' [2014]
I've seen him several times on PBS'/other religious documentaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman

Bart D. Ehrman (1955) is an American New Testament scholar, currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.​
According to the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, he is one of North America's Leading scholars in his field, having written and edited 27 books, including three college textbooks.
He has also achieved acclaim at the popular level, authoring five New York Times bestsellers.​
Ehrman's work focuses on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, and the development of early Christianity.​
[.....]​

`

Interesting why this jewfish 'professor' curses and moke Christianity only, never his Jewish religion.

bart ehrman is jewish? I did not know-----his hebrew seems excellent

Google opens all secrets

Not all

Like Disraeli said, Christianity is completed Judaism. Jews didn't become monotheistic until Deutro-Isaiah, and since universalism is implicit in monotheism, Judaism became explicitly universal via Christianity.
I agree about Jewish monotheism but not the rest.

More trivia from Ehrman: Christianity began as a minor cult of Judaism but it soon diverged into two opposing camps centered on the question of did Christians have to first become Jews. The Christians in Israel believed so, those of the diaspora said no. It was Roman pagans that decided the issue by wiping out the Christian Jews of Jerusalem when the Jews revolted.

It was certainly trivial, since it's false. Few Christian Jews remained in Jerusalem by the time of the Revolt; they wer already scattered faer and wide, having been persecuted already, with most of them killed long before Paul was executed in Rome. The Jerusalem Jews themselves killed most of them, like his brother James and many others. The Second Jewish Revolt, the bar Kokhba revolt, finished the split and drove Christians out of the synagogues, also accompanied by massacres of Christians by Orthodox Jews and Pharisees, who made up most of the new 'Rabbis' running around. Christianity spread quickly and widely, as did most Jews who had converted.
You may be right about some of the timings since what I wrote was not just taken from Ehrman.

I think it is safe to say most Jews did not convert and became targets of Christians. Christianity grew by conversions of pagans. It was still a small minority of the Roman world until Constantine.

Erhman also has problems with timelines; it's one of the reasons he's easy to refute. And a lot of Jews did convert; there were a lot more Jews than the Jews of Jerusalem, and far more of them were alienated by the Temple Jews set up in power by Darius and the Persians; the racist Jews just never bothered to record their histories, since they were 'tainted' and of no worth, their only function to line the pockets of the 'real Jews' as determined by the 'pure' Jews. Certainly gentiels became converts, as I said Judaism became universal vis Christianity, , and they were already spread all over the Roman world before Constantine was even born. The only reason the malcontents and pagans snivel about 'Constantine' all the time is they think if they can peddle the nonsense he rewrote everything then whatever rubbish they fell like revising is valid as well, i.e. they're stupid and loony.

Startlingly, a lecture at the Atheist org.. Freedom From Religion Foundation/FFRF.. by one of thee most Renowned professor's of Religious Studies, Bart Ehrman.
One of the world's foremost experts on Christianity/NT.
Can't say he doesn't know his topic.
99% of the time he is invited to speak to religious groups.
But, as it turns out, he's an "Agnostic and an Atheist."
A good bit of the youtube on his 'new' book, 'How Jesus became God' [2014]
I've seen him several times on PBS'/other religious documentaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman

Bart D. Ehrman (1955) is an American New Testament scholar, currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.​
According to the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, he is one of North America's Leading scholars in his field, having written and edited 27 books, including three college textbooks.
He has also achieved acclaim at the popular level, authoring five New York Times bestsellers.​
Ehrman's work focuses on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, and the development of early Christianity.​
[.....]​

`

Interesting why this jewfish 'professor' curses and moke Christianity only, never his Jewish religion.

bart ehrman is jewish? I did not know-----his hebrew seems excellent

Google opens all secrets

Not all

Baron seems to have THE LINK---- I cannot find it

You think Stalin prayed? lol he was a sociopath, just smarter than his enemy sociopaths is all. You probably would think of him ans a hero. And I'm not surprised you missed my point.
Stalin was indeed a sociopath but he got nearly everything he wanted while many devoutly religious people were murdered by him.
And this means what? Most Christians know that sooner or later they will be persecuted, it's part of the deal.
Some just don't like to admit that they may be wrong when they say God obviously ignores total assholes and never gives them what they want.

Some know it's blatantly obvious he would do exactly that. The OT alone proves it without a doubt.

Like Disraeli said, Christianity is completed Judaism. Jews didn't become monotheistic until Deutro-Isaiah, and since universalism is implicit in monotheism, Judaism became explicitly universal via Christianity.

More trivia from Ehrman: Christianity began as a minor cult of Judaism but it soon diverged into two opposing camps centered on the question of did Christians have to first become Jews. The Christians in Israel believed so, those of the diaspora said no. It was Roman pagans that decided the issue by wiping out the Christian Jews of Jerusalem when the Jews revolted.

It was certainly trivial, since it's false. Few Christian Jews remained in Jerusalem by the time of the Revolt; they wer already scattered faer and wide, having been persecuted already, with most of them killed long before Paul was executed in Rome. The Jerusalem Jews themselves killed most of them, like his brother James and many others. The Second Jewish Revolt, the bar Kokhba revolt, finished the split and drove Christians out of the synagogues, also accompanied by massacres of Christians by Orthodox Jews and Pharisees, who made up most of the new 'Rabbis' running around. Christianity spread quickly and widely, as did most Jews who had converted.
You may be right about some of the timings since what I wrote was not just taken from Ehrman.

I think it is safe to say most Jews did not convert and became targets of Christians. Christianity grew by conversions of pagans. It was still a small minority of the Roman world until Constantine.

Erhman also has problems with timelines; it's one of the reasons he's easy to refute. And a lot of Jews did convert; there were a lot more Jews than the Jews of Jerusalem, and far more of them were alienated by the Temple Jews set up in power by Darius and the Persians; the racist Jews just never bothered to record their histories, since they were 'tainted' and of no worth, their only function to line the pockets of the 'real Jews' as determined by the 'pure' Jews. Certainly gentiels became converts, as I said Judaism became universal vis Christianity, , and they were already spread all over the Roman world before Constantine was even born. The only reason the malcontents and pagans snivel about 'Constantine' all the time is they think if they can peddle the nonsense he rewrote everything then whatever rubbish they fell like revising is valid as well, i.e. they're stupid and loony.

PIc, you are delerious. Check your temperature. The only point you got right is "jews were spread
thruout most of the known world before Constantine was born" of course you said "roman world"----but actually---it was the known world and beyond the "roman world" Rome did lots of invasion but not THAT MUCH

Erhman has been refuted so many times it's a wonder anybody would run around claiming he's some great 'scholar'. Darrell Bock alone has shut him down literally every time Bock bothered to critique his books, as well as Elaine Pagels and the rest of the fake 'scholars' from the Gnostic revivalist scam. The Peanut Gallery can start with Bock's The Missing Gospels, a work explaining to lay people from a secular point of view why the various popular modern claims of the original orthodoxy being 'falsified' is rubbish and nonsense by merely using textual analysis and historical records. From there it gets very easy to prove the Erhman claims are total rubbish.
- from a secular point of view why the various popular modern claims of the original orthodoxy being 'falsified' is rubbish and nonsense by merely using textual analysis and historical records.

there is no original orthodoxy from the 1st century the falsification is the orthodoxy made up in the 4th century.

the same example applies, sicko -

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
forgeries and fallacies brought to your attention previously. the same pattern for all three desert religions - the ten commandments etched by the Almighty never existed.

I don't know why so many people in the USA misunderstand this sentences. Only god - and no one else - speaks the final judgement. Jesus - the son of god - said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." So not you, not I nor anyone else - only Jesus, true god from true god, is the one who is able to say: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.".

Example: "The philosopher" of Christians was for long centuries Aristotle, "the interpreter" (of the philosophy of Aristotle) was Averroes. Aristotle was a pagan "atheist" (the early Christians were also called "atheists"), Averroes was a Muslim. So who cared about? Truth is always true - independent from the person, who speaks out the truth. In case of Aristotle and Averroes we speak about the founder of all modern universities today.
only Jesus, true god from true god, is the one who is able to say: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.".
there is no evidence the 1st century religious itinerant ever claimed to be the biological son of the Almighty - the above is a forgery written in the 4th century to elicit their religion of the roman empire as irrefutable as they have accomplished in your regard.
“Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani”

again the words of a dying man prior to his immediate death. the closing scene of the 1st century and of the spoken religion of antiquity - how you think otherwise is your issue - you impose on those that know better.

what is "the religion of antiquity"?

Erhman has been refuted so many times it's a wonder anybody would run around claiming he's some great 'scholar'. Darrell Bock alone has shut him down literally every time Bock bothered to critique his books, as well as Elaine Pagels and the rest of the fake 'scholars' from the Gnostic revivalist scam. The Peanut Gallery can start with Bock's The Missing Gospels, a work explaining to lay people from a secular point of view why the various popular modern claims of the original orthodoxy being 'falsified' is rubbish and nonsense by merely using textual analysis and historical records. From there it gets very easy to prove the Erhman claims are total rubbish.
- from a secular point of view why the various popular modern claims of the original orthodoxy being 'falsified' is rubbish and nonsense by merely using textual analysis and historical records.

there is no original orthodoxy from the 1st century the falsification is the orthodoxy made up in the 4th century.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
forgeries and fallacies brought to your attention previously. the same pattern for all three desert religions - the ten commandments etched by the Almighty never existed.

I don't know why so many people in the USA misunderstand this sentences. Only god - and no one else - speaks the final judgement. Jesus - the son of god - said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." So not you, not I nor anyone else - only Jesus, true god from true god, is the one who is able to say: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.".

Example: "The philosopher" of Christians was for long centuries Aristotle, "the interpreter" (of the philosophy of Aristotle) was Averroes. Aristotle was a pagan "atheist" (the early Christians were also called "atheists"), Averroes was a Muslim. So who cared about? Truth is always true - independent from the person, who speaks out the truth. In case of Aristotle and Averroes we speak about the founder of all modern universities today.
only Jesus, true god from true god, is the one who is able to say: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.".
there is no evidence the 1st century religious itinerant ever claimed to be the biological son of the Almighty

There is no evidence that Chrisitians existed at all in the 1st century. Nevertheless this is plausible.

- the above is a forgery written in the 4th century to elicit their religion of the roman empire as irrefutable as they have accomplished in your regard.

again the words of a dying man prior to his immediate death. the closing scene of the 1st century and of the spoken religion of antiquity - how you think otherwise is your issue - you impose on those that know better.

I don't have any idea what you try to tell me. What say this words to you yourselve? What do you think I should learn from this words?

Pic actually BELIEVEs this ^^^^^ bullshit just as \
his illiterate forebears believed that passover matzohs are baked with "christian blood" As to
"brother james" ----read it again. The NT makes quite an issue of the "fact" that jews of Judea in the time of Roman dominance had lost the right to execute criminals of any kind. <<< that is the basis of "THE PRIESTS" demand "you do it ----we can't" in reference to the ROMAN crucifixion of Jesus for sedition (along with several thousand other jews in the time of pilate----estimated at 10,000) As to "JAMES" there is really no evidence that such a person existed-----and SOMEHOW the ----at that point completely disempowered SANHEDRIN, sentenced him to death. In fact there was no functioning Sanhedrin at the time and record keeping was METICULOUS----so? where are the records of a SANHEDRIN ORDERED "STONING" ?
well there ain't none. In fact the record shows that there were NO DEATH SENTENCES handed down by the SANHEDRIN at all. Pic is into
MAGICAL THINKING

lol rubbish. Rosie was fed a lot of bullshot by her hassidic racist neighbors as a kid, like a lot of New York and Eastern European Jews. The Romans executed a lot of troublesome Messiahs from 40 B.C. on, as well as lots of zealots and other problems the Temple Jews wanted dead, as the interfered with racking in the bucks for the 'Real Jews' who concentrated Jewish religion in the Temple and gave themselves a cut of the loot since The Return. They were having civil wars over the split for hundreds of years up to the invitations of one faction to the Romans to come in and side with them.

there is no evidence the 1st century religious itinerant ever claimed to be the biological son of the Almighty - the above is a forgery written in the 4th century to elicit their religion of the roman empire as irrefutable as they have accomplished in your regard.

Are you stupid, the religion of antiquity is the buffalo lodge from the flintstones

Are you stupid, the religion of antiquity is the buffalo lodge from the flintstones

oh---excuse me-----I was thinking MONTEZUMA

Assuming God exists (do I always have to start off with that?) and He is perfect, I certainly see lots of imperfection in this world. I'd judge He's not living up to his potential. Would creation fall apart if there were no viruses?

Yes, God exists and he is perfect. It is always wrong and a sin to assume God doesn't exist, but here we are because of liberal, atheist, and evolutionary thinking. We even worship the science of atheism today. It is a sinful science of paganism that we put before real science. We were perfect creatures and God lived with us back then, but for Adam's sin against God he brought death into this life, two covenants, and more sin.
Does god hear you when you pray?

What is your point with this line of questioning? I already said as a child I prayed for a bicycle and got a bicycle.

Some just don't like to admit that God obviously ignores total assholes and never gives them what they want.
Life has been very good to me and Stalin died peacefully in his bed. You're either wrong about God or wrong about assholes.

You think Stalin prayed? lol he was a sociopath, just smarter than his enemy sociopaths is all. You probably would think of him ans a hero. And I'm not surprised you missed my point.

stalin was a DIVINITY STUDENT----so outstanding that the priests were convinced that he would become a PRIEST (eastern orthodox church)

So what? Lots of sociopaths who want power will infiltrate religious hierarchies; just look at all the crazy loony Rabbis running around; just read Erutz Sheva for a week, as they really enjoy reporting on them a lot. Look at all the faggots who infiltrated the Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts for an example of what happens when a bureaucracy fails to weed out deviants and sociopaths.

Last edited:
Assuming God exists (do I always have to start off with that?) and He is perfect, I certainly see lots of imperfection in this world. I'd judge He's not living up to his potential. Would creation fall apart if there were no viruses?

Yes, God exists and he is perfect. It is always wrong and a sin to assume God doesn't exist, but here we are because of liberal, atheist, and evolutionary thinking. We even worship the science of atheism today. It is a sinful science of paganism that we put before real science. We were perfect creatures and God lived with us back then, but for Adam's sin against God he brought death into this life, two covenants, and more sin.

What is your point with this line of questioning? I already said as a child I prayed for a bicycle and got a bicycle.

Some just don't like to admit that God obviously ignores total assholes and never gives them what they want.
Life has been very good to me and Stalin died peacefully in his bed. You're either wrong about God or wrong about assholes.

stalin was a DIVINITY STUDENT----so outstanding that the priests were convinced that he would become a PRIEST (eastern orthodox church)

Pic has such a REFINED sense of humor----he laughed when I mentioned Stalin's projected career
as an Eastern Orthodox Priest. It is kinda funny.
Constantine is a SAINT in that sect

So what? Lots of sociopaths who want power will infiltrate religious hierarchies; just look at all the crazy loony Rabbis running around; just read Erutz Sheva for a week, as they really enjoy reporting on them a lot.

true Josef Stalin was a top notch divinity student.
Martin Luther is considered a founder of the protestants sects------well, at least LUTHERANISM.
The murderer Constantine is a "SAINT" and then there is Pope Frank and Josef Goebbels and wife
Magda were ardent catholics. Our dear pic imagines, in his delirium, something about
seven Erutzes

Pic has such a REFINED sense of humor----he laughed when I mentioned Stalin's projected career

Rosie can't admit her racist Orthodox Jews are mass murdering bigots whose 'persecution' problems have all been largely self-inflicted, and mostly made up to boot; Jews have always aligned themselves with the 'states' against the peasants, and for most of history did very well as ass kissing tax collectors and stooges sneering at the lower classes. they prospered under both Muslims and western feudal lords for a couple of thousand years, and still do. The Jewsih version of an 'Enlightment' and 'Reformation' that came about in the 18th and 19th centuries must surely have been a great tragedy for her and her hassidic lunatics.

You shall have no other gods before Me. Odd the text doesn't say that there are no other gods, only that the Jews will worship only one god. There was a convent that is called Monolatry

You still miss the point. Monolatry would've still been a sin of paganism. Besides, you didn't say that. You said monotheism.
You do realize that paganism is the opposite of atheism don't you?

Here's a bit of trivia I read in one of Ehrman's books. Pagans used to refer to early Christians as 'atheists' because there were so many gods that Christians didn't believe in.

Haha. Got a link to show paganism is the opposite of atheism? It just shows that you are a simpleton asf.

Same with using Ehrman to back up your claim?

Biblical
"I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols." Isaiah 42:8

Etymyology
paganism (n.)
"religious beliefs and practices of pagans," early 15c., paganisme, from Church Latin paganismus, from paganus (see pagan). Alternative paganity is from 1540s; pagandom is from 1739.

pagan

"The origin of the term Pagan is an interesting word study that has taken a few twists and turns along the way. Today we generally hear the word used to refer to the worship of something other than God, such as polytheism, witchcraft, nature worship, or some other form of idolatry. However, the term once had a much broader meaning."

"Paganism, Atheism, and Agnosticism Contrast with Christianity

These three belief systems, though different and unique, stand in stark contrast to Christianity in that they are devoid of any hope or joy beyond the here and now. Where Christianity urges patience in trials, love for enemies, and faith in God when we cannot see Him working, these three are simply built outside of faith and hope."

Why do I get the feeling you know as much about paganism as you do about evolution?

"These three belief systems, though different and unique, stand in stark contrast to Christianity in that they are devoid of any hope or joy beyond the here and now."

There is no heaven or hell for atheists while agnostics are just on the fence. Just because they believe in many gods, that doesn't mean pagans don't envision an afterlife. Many pagan cultures built burial mounds that included items to be used in the next world. Egyptians built huge pyramids to ensure a comfortable post-death experience.

There is a good case to be made that there is little difference between Christianity and paganism. Pagans have big gods (God), little gods (Satan), demigods (god-mortal offspring, like Jesus), and heros with divine help (Samson).

alang1216 : "There is a good case to be made that there is little difference between Christianity and paganism. Pagans have big gods (God), little gods (Satan), demigods (god-mortal offspring, like Jesus), and heros with divine help (Samson)."

This makes no sense at all. You're just making stuff up in your own head to back up what you said before about, " paganism is the opposite of atheism." I caught you in your lie, so asked for a simple link. You don't have one, so you make up a ridiculous example. Now, that's circular reasoning :auiqs.jpg:.

From your last sentence, you STILL DO NOT KNOW ABOUT PAGANISM even after given Biblical, etymyological, and a Christian blog links for it. You don't have anything from Ehrman because he isn't stupid.

Excellent point: none of Erhman's fans ever quote him for some reason, unless it's sufficiently vague and pointless.

So what? Lots of sociopaths who want power will infiltrate religious hierarchies; just look at all the crazy loony Rabbis running around; just read Erutz Sheva for a week, as they really enjoy reporting on them a lot.

true Josef Stalin was a top notch divinity student.
Martin Luther is considered a founder of the protestants sects------well, at least LUTHERANISM.
The murderer Constantine is a "SAINT" and then there is Pope Frank and Josef Goebbels and wife
Magda were ardent catholics. Our dear pic imagines, in his delirium, something about
seven Erutzes

Are we now supposed to cite crazy Rabbis and Jewish cult crazies for the 17th century now?

Rosie actually thinks Stalin was interested in religion. He also robbed banks. Did he give the loot to the Church, or to a local commie cell?

Forum List

Back