Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alan Stallion

Civil Rights Advocate
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, California
"Race, the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences. Genetic studies in the late 20th century refuted the existence of biogenetically distinct races, and scholars now argue that “races” are cultural interventions reflecting specific attitudes and beliefs that were imposed on different populations in the wake of western European conquests beginning in the 15th century..."
race | human

The question begs for the modern reader and commentators, just how many races truly are there? Isn't race just an arbitrary social construct to divide us, or are there true separations, and is it of any value? For those who opine two or more, kindly explain the characteristics that construct each race. Discuss.

Races is just a scientific classification of bored nerds..See the shit they developed before TV supposedly ruined everyone's mind? And I didn't need glasses sitting close to the TV...

"Race, the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences. Genetic studies in the late 20th century refuted the existence of biogenetically distinct races, and scholars now argue that “races” are cultural interventions reflecting specific attitudes and beliefs that were imposed on different populations in the wake of western European conquests beginning in the 15th century..."
race | human

The question begs for the modern reader and commentators, just how many races truly are there? Isn't race just an arbitrary social construct to divide us, or are there true separations, and is it of any value? For those who opine two or more, kindly explain the characteristics that construct each race. Discuss.

100m sprint, 440m relay, marathon, to name just a few.

race is a cultural construct there are 100+ races if you want or only 1/0
We (humans) like to organize by creating classifications. We could call all types of dogs simply dogs instead of beagles, German shepards, poodles, etc.

There are identifiable differences of people with ancestry from various parts of the globe. To pretend those differences don't exist would be disingenuous. That being said, with more and more interracial children, the races could eventually be blended together as gene pools merge.

There are three races: caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid.
-------------------------------------- i think thats correct , thats what i was taught all through school . I voted 4 though , made a mistake i guess .
Those three are old school.
--------------------------------------------------- might be . i'll let others worry about the details BUT , Seems to me that the old classification of 3 worked just fine JMomma .

race is a cultural construct there are 100+ races if you want or only 1/0
We (humans) like to organize by creating classifications. We could call all types of dogs simply dogs instead of beagles, German shepards, poodles, etc.

There are identifiable differences of people with ancestry from various parts of the globe. To pretend those differences don't exist would be disingenuous. That being said, with more and more interracial children, the races could eventually be blended together as gene pools merge.

nature is strange, even if all humans mix, there would likely through evolution appear new biological entities, also isolation can create big differences between populations who share same origins. i read that if one group of humans lived a few thousand years in isolation they could even become a new species. we dont know what will happen on earth, maybe there will be doomsday and some pockets of humans will survive and create new "races"

-------------------------------------- i think thats correct , thats what i was taught all through school . I voted 4 though , made a mistake i guess .

Carleston S. Coon in 1962 made four major race classifications in the world, which include Caucasian, Mongoloid or Asian, Negroid or Black, and Australoid.

---

Johann Friedrich Blumenbach in 1775 proposed five major divisions: Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Ethiopian (Negroid), American Indian, and Malayan.

---

The United States Census divides as the following:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

Me, personally, I never answer the "race" question on the Census, nor any other questions except one (number of people in household), but that's a little off topic.

You were right according to Immanuel Kant.

It was Kant who first established the difference between ‘races’ and the more non-specific ‘varieties’ or ‘types’. ‘Races’, Kant said, are marked by hereditary characteristics which must be passed on to offspring, whereas the characteristics of ‘varieties’ are not necessarily transmitted across generations: “race… is an inevitable hereditary peculiarity which certainly justifies division into classes”.

There are 4 races: Blacks, Whites, Laplanders and Patagonians.

I) The Enlightenment and ‘Race’: Kant and II) Immanuel Kant and Natural Law: How Racism Became Scientific. ~ Δ`~. Κοσμοϊδιογλωσσία

We haven't even figured out how many genders there are yet. This is going to be very difficult...

Forum List

Back