Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

• 21-100

• 100+

• Total voters
"Race, the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences. Genetic studies in the late 20th century refuted the existence of biogenetically distinct races, and scholars now argue that “races” are cultural interventions reflecting specific attitudes and beliefs that were imposed on different populations in the wake of western European conquests beginning in the 15th century..."
race | human

The question begs for the modern reader and commentators, just how many races truly are there? Isn't race just an arbitrary social construct to divide us, or are there true separations, and is it of any value? For those who opine two or more, kindly explain the characteristics that construct each race. Discuss.

Anthropologist have universally identified four distinct 'races' based on skin color and other various hard wired physical characteristics - hair texture, facial structure, etc. Generally those four races are divided into roughly 30 sub groups. And medical science has discovered that different races have different medical issues - diabetes, intolerance for certain medications, etc.

And as for various attributes attributed to 'race', it is uncertain if breeding or culture or even religion is not more a factor than is race, i.e. more black people will have superior athletic ability than the other races, more Asians will excel in math and sciences than the other races, more 'European caucasian' dominated societies will be economically successful for most citizens than is found with the other races, Native Americans are more in tune with the spiritual elements in nature, etc.

But there isn't all that much difference in the genetics so the U.N. eventually dropped the race labels and instead refer to ethnic groups and I think there are roughly 5,000 or so of those recognized.

Last edited:
There are three races: caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid.

upload_2017-8-7_23-26-53.jpeg

Actually there's five:

Three major:

Caucasoid
Negroid
Mongoloid

Two minor:

Australoid
Amerind

But for the purposes of this poll I'm going with there's only one race.

*****SMILE*****

:)

"Race, the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences. Genetic studies in the late 20th century refuted the existence of biogenetically distinct races, and scholars now argue that “races” are cultural interventions reflecting specific attitudes and beliefs that were imposed on different populations in the wake of western European conquests beginning in the 15th century..."
race | human

The question begs for the modern reader and commentators, just how many races truly are there? Isn't race just an arbitrary social construct to divide us, or are there true separations, and is it of any value? For those who opine two or more, kindly explain the characteristics that construct each race. Discuss.

There are no different human "races." Just as in nature, there are no "races" of any other kind of creature. What there in fact ARE is different "species" of human. I would tell you more. But that would just get me banned. Enjoy that ignorance present gift wrapped by USMB.

Forum List

Back