How many times have we heard..."Many Americans hold 2 or more jobs"

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
“I’m meeting people who are working two and three jobs. … People in America are working.
They’re working two and three jobs.”

— Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.)
Harris carefully suggests this is anecdotal. That’s because is not borne out in official data.
The number of people who are working two or three jobs is pretty small.
There are more than 162 million people with jobs.
But only 325,000 people had two full-time jobs in May, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
An additional 4.4 million had both a full-time job and a part-time job, while nearly 2 million were juggling part-time jobs.
In all, there are 7.8 million people who hold more than one job — just 5 percent of Americans with jobs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-on-people-working-multiple-jobs/?arc404=true

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 9.13.10 AM.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-on-people-working-multiple-jobs/?arc404=true

Just curious about Harris' statement:“I’m meeting people who are working two and three jobs. … People in America are working.

So if these people that she's meeting are working 2 and more jobs...how do they have time to meet Harris?

I don't think KH was talking about two full-time jobs. I think she was talking about having a part-time job to supplement a meager income.

As with most such "talking points," it sounds profound, but is based on the fact that the speaker - this time Ms. Harris - has probably never had a Real Job in her life, and doesn't understand how it works.

When I was making very little money, I FIRST looked for opportunities to work as much overtime as possible, because that is far more lucrative than working a part-time job. Then, if that didn't work out I worked a part-time job or two.

So what? Why is that a bad thing? Not every job is worthy of a "living wage."

I've only known a few people in my life who worked two full-time jobs. What a life.

I don't think KH was talking about two full-time jobs. I think she was talking about having a part-time job to supplement a meager income.

As with most such "talking points," it sounds profound, but is based on the fact that the speaker - this time Ms. Harris - has probably never had a Real Job in her life, and doesn't understand how it works.

When I was making very little money, I FIRST looked for opportunities to work as much overtime as possible, because that is far more lucrative than working a part-time job. Then, if that didn't work out I worked a part-time job or two.

So what? Why is that a bad thing? Not every job is worthy of a "living wage."

I've only known a few people in my life who worked two full-time jobs. What a life.

Again these aren't MY made up statistics... comes from this source:

But only 325,000 people had two full-time jobs in May, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
An additional 4.4 million had both a full-time job and a part-time job, while nearly 2 million were juggling part-time jobs.

2ormorejobholders.png

Key facts folks. We hear from people like Harris, making statements like" :“I’m meeting people who are working two and three jobs. … People in America are working.

Think about it..
A) what are the chances that out of 247,813,910 adults Harris is meeting "people' that work 2 and 3 jobs?
B) a total of 6 million working full-time and part-time or several part-time jobs.
C) Harris' largest rally had 20,000.... so what are the chances with 0.0081% attending her rally, that those people working 2 and 3 jobs???

Forum List

Back