How soon to the next big correction/crash?

by when will the market crash

• Dec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • June

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Sept

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Deutsche Bank Hopes "Not All Margin Calls Come At Once In Case Of A Sell-Off" | Zero Hedge

Since the records started in the late 1950s, we observe margin debt tracked by the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) rose to an all-time high in April this year. Most interestingly, margin debt follows the pattern of exponential growth when equity markets surpass previous record historic levels and peaks ahead of the the equity market, i.e. 1/2 month ahead during the “new technologies market” around 1999/2000 and 3 months ahead during the “Great/Global Financial Crisis” (GFC) around 2007/2008. As it is difficult to identify such an absolute peak, we find it useful to look at more sensitive measures, i.e. month-on-month changes. It seems as if a threshold >10% in the m-o-m change delivers meaningful signals when the sequence starts. In this way, it is most alarming to see that the first signal lit up in January this year. Market analysts track margin-debt activity as an indication of investors' appetite for speculative trading. But a potential pitfall for those trading on margin is a sharp decline in stock prices, which can expose investors to margin calls, requiring them to post additional collateral or having their brokers sell their securities. That's why high levels of margin debt can be worrisome – a wave of margin calls triggered by a sharp market correction could exacerbate the selling pressure on stocks, making matters worse. Consequently, high margin debts show the effect of over-leveraging and mispricing of risk in our financial system.

comment

When will the Fed stop thowing money around...................Is the real question..................

Who knows.

Didn't Bernanke say he was going to Taper off the $85 billion QE by $10B a month? That would put the crash at around September, because the only thing keeping the market this high is Federal Reserve cash. When that is gone what would keep the market going?

There could be 6-7 more taper cuts this year. That's what causes the most uncertainty.

Can we define "crash" here? Are you talking about a 10% correction, a 20% bear market, or a 1929/2008 type dealie?

A typical 'correction' is a retrace of about 25 to 45% of the climb, so for something to be a 'crash' it needs to exceed this normal move.

Dow Jones Industrial Average Last 10 Years | MacroTrends

The last correction of this kind of scale was in 2008 and the floor was around 7000. So the DOW has climbed to 16,000+, which means a normal large cycle retrace would bring the DOW as low as 12,000.

So a crash I think would be a panic retrace, where people are willing to sell stocks a lot cheaper than their real value as income producing stocks or their likely return to future values would other wise indicate. So I think a crash would have to hit the 9,000 range before it comes back, but this is likely to occur over a couple of years as the market makers do everything they can to keep as much value in the markets as possible.

Next election. They fleeced big time when Barry just got into office, but won't do anything until Barry is out of office.

Wont do anything?

What do you call helping themselves to a free $85,000,000,000 each month of USD?

Sounds like ongoing fleecing to me.

The laws of gravity come to mind. What goes up, must come down. This rising market is overbought and one day big money is going to want payday. When?

-Geaux

When the Saudis abandon us? When tapering comes to completion?

Who knows?

The markets can stay stupid longer than most of us can afford to wait them out.

LOL. And all you nervous nellies predicted utter collapse if President Obama was re-elected. Didn't happen, won't happen.

Lol, Obama just finished the first year of his second term. It's still a bit early to be saying anyone was wrong, dumb ass.

Also utter collapse has to be defined. as in anything short of extinction is not technically utter collapse.

Didn't Bernanke say he was going to Taper off the $85 billion QE by $10B a month? That would put the crash at around September, because the only thing keeping the market this high is Federal Reserve cash. When that is gone what would keep the market going?
Well we're over two years since QE ended... so much for this theory.

True instead of a stock market collapse we experienced we had a collapse of fulltime employment

No, the market did the retrace I had been talking about, from a high in May 18, 2015 of 18,298 down to 16,285 Aug 26, and repeated down to 5,973 on Feb 12, 2016. That was two 2,000 point drops in less than a year.

Dow Jones - 10 Year Daily Chart

No, the market did the retrace I had been talking about, from a high in May 18, 2015 of 18,298 down to 16,285 Aug 26, and repeated down to 5,973 on Feb 12, 2016. That was two 2,000 point drops in less than a year.

QE ended in 2014, you predicted a "crash" as a result. The market has always gone up and down, it seems a bit of a stretch to attribute dips happening over a year later as a direct result, especially since they recovered (as market dips always have) and you questioned what could fuel the stock market without QE. Clearly the stock market can go up without QE.

QE ended in 2014, you predicted a "crash" as a result. The market has always gone up and down, it seems a bit of a stretch to attribute dips happening over a year later as a direct result, especially since they recovered (as market dips always have) and you questioned what could fuel the stock market without QE. Clearly the stock market can go up without QE.
It could be that the market has been Up for the last 8 or 9 months due to the construction bubble.
The bubble WILL burst eventually but no one ever wants to believe it.

True instead of a stock market collapse we experienced we had a collapse of fulltime employment
We do? What is your definition of the word "collapse"?

Ox40Moa.png

It could be that the market has been Up for the last 8 or 9 months due to the construction bubble.
First off I agree 100%, eventually the market will have a more severe downturn. Not something like an 11% correction that JimBowie is calling a "collapse" 'but a real bear market with over 20% drop.

However it doesn't seem useful to sit in here randomly attributing the current bull market to whatever pops into our heads while claiming that someday it'll go back down. I know construction has an outsized influence on the US economy (compared to market cap of companies directly in construction) but looking at the companies driving the stock market expansion do you really think that can be attributed to construction?

First off I agree 100%, eventually the market will have a more severe downturn. Not something like an 11% correction that JimBowie is calling a "collapse" 'but a real bear market with over 20% drop.

However it doesn't seem useful to sit in here randomly attributing the current bull market to whatever pops into our heads while claiming that someday it'll go back down. I know construction has an outsized influence on the US economy (compared to market cap of companies directly in construction) but looking at the companies driving the stock market expansion do you really think that can be attributed to construction?
No one Credit Officer or Mortgage Broker I know sees anything but good times ahead.
Of course I remind them that that's how they felt before Sep 2008.

The average wage for millions of new coffee pumpers? $9.00/hour.
Would YOU like to serve food?
If you're implying new jobs are only low wage part time jobs, BLS data doesn't agree.

People working part time for economic reasons (the ones who want to work full time but can't find a FT job) has been falling steadily since the great recession.

rawEkZR.png

While real wages have been stagnant for much of the last decade they have been rising lately, if new jobs had significantly lower wages one would expect to see wages falling sharply.

No one Credit Officer or Mortgage Broker I know sees anything but good times ahead.
Of course I remind them that that's how they felt before Sep 2008.
Anecdotes of opinions of mortgage brokers is hardly a good gauge of the economy.

Personally I have no idea what lies ahead for US economy or stock market. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

The average wage for millions of new coffee pumpers? $9.00/hour.
Would YOU like to serve food?
If you're implying new jobs are only low wage part time jobs, BLS data doesn't agree.

People working part time for economic reasons (the ones who want to work full time but can't find a FT job) has been falling steadily since the great recession.

rawEkZR.png

While real wages have been stagnant for much of the last decade they have been rising lately, if new jobs had significantly lower wages one would expect to see wages falling sharply.

As an ex-software developer and non-Indian Business Visa, I couldn't care any less about the what the BLS has to say about anything.
Their phony data is fed to them by the very same small to large size entities that want the cheapest labor possible.
Not to mention that many Health Care professionals, including MDs, are being replaced by Indian Business Visas.

Forum List

Back