HR 368 - Proof the republicans wanted this shutdown.

GOP changed the House rules, forbidding anyone other than the House Speaker from bringing a bill up for a vote.

They did this right before this crisis began.

They did this to prevent the Democrats and Moderate Republicans from passing a budget against the wishes of the Tea Baggers.

shame on them.

Damn straight, shame on them.

Democracy has been suspended.

why did the House GOP change this rule RIGHT before the crisis began?

Because that is the way the House rules are.
When disagreement comes between the House and Senate, the House Leader has the right to change the rule to negotiate between the House Leader and Senate Leader only.
Dem's have done it themselves many times in the past, but now they are having a hissy fit about it.

When disagreement comes between the House and Senate, the House Leader has the right to change the rule to negotiate between the House Leader and Senate Leader only.
Dem's have done it themselves many times in the past, but now they are having a hissy fit about it.

Please provide a link to prove that allegation.

So, if I understand this correctly, House rules allowed for ANY member of the House to bring up for a vote a resolution for ending the shutdown, but House leadership changed the rule just before the shutdown so that ONLY House leadership could bring up the resolution for a vote.

Exactly.

I am stunned, I mean literally, that they would sink this low.

But yeah. Both parties are the same.

The fuck they are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&sns=tw]The GOP's little rule change they hoped you wouldn't notice - YouTube[/ame]

"The Rules Committee, under the rules of the House, changed the standing rules of the House to take away the right of any member to move to vote to open the government, and gave that right exclusively to the Republican Leader," said Van Hollen. "Is that right?"

"The House adopted that resolution," replied Chaffetz.

"I make my motion, Mr. Speaker," said Van Hollen. "I renew my motion that under the regular standing rules of the House... that the house take up the Senate amendments and open the government now."

"Under section 2 of H.R. 368, that motion may be offered only by the majority leader or his designee," Chaffetz said.

"Mr. Speaker, why were the rules rigged to keep the government shut down?" Van Hollen asked.

"The gentleman will suspend," Chaffetz interjected.

"Democracy has been suspended, Mr. Speaker."

House Republicans Changed The Rules So A Majority Vote Couldn't Stop The Government Shutdown

HR 368 passed the House by 396 - 4 in 2011

So, if I understand this correctly, House rules allowed for ANY member of the House to bring up for a vote a resolution for ending the shutdown, but House leadership changed the rule just before the shutdown so that ONLY House leadership could bring up the resolution for a vote.

Exactly.

The fuck they are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&sns=tw]The GOP's little rule change they hoped you wouldn't notice - YouTube[/ame]

"The Rules Committee, under the rules of the House, changed the standing rules of the House to take away the right of any member to move to vote to open the government, and gave that right exclusively to the Republican Leader," said Van Hollen. "Is that right?"

"The House adopted that resolution," replied Chaffetz.

"I make my motion, Mr. Speaker," said Van Hollen. "I renew my motion that under the regular standing rules of the House... that the house take up the Senate amendments and open the government now."

"Under section 2 of H.R. 368, that motion may be offered only by the majority leader or his designee," Chaffetz said.

"Mr. Speaker, why were the rules rigged to keep the government shut down?" Van Hollen asked.

"The gentleman will suspend," Chaffetz interjected.

"Democracy has been suspended, Mr. Speaker."

House Republicans Changed The Rules So A Majority Vote Couldn't Stop The Government Shutdown

To what end? So they could make sure that the shutdown didn't end? Cantor's timing sucks at the very least.

This is bullshit. "Perfect storm" bullshit. Democrats did it - was it fine with you then? Were we in the same situation we are now?

Exactly.

The fuck they are.

The GOP's little rule change they hoped you wouldn't notice - YouTube

To what end? So they could make sure that the shutdown didn't end? Cantor's timing sucks at the very least.

This is bullshit. "Perfect storm" bullshit. Democrats did it - was it fine with you then? Were we in the same situation we are now?

Sorry I had the wrong HR 368

7 Democrats voted for this.

Yes they did

H.Res. 368: Relating to consideration of the joint resolution (H.J. Res. 59) making continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2014, and ... -- GovTrack.us

They have the right to do this just like the Dems do when they have the majority of the House.
Whoever has the Majority in the House can change the House Rules.
Dems have changed theirs many times when they had the majority.

Text of H.Res. 368: Relating to consideration of the joint resolution (H.J. Res. 59) making continuing appropriations for ... (Passed the House (Engrossed) version) - GovTrack.us

Please provide a link to prove that allegation.

House Rule 22 sec 4
When the sage of disagreement has been reached on a bill or resolution with the House and Senate on amendments a motion to dispose of any amendment shall be privileged.

They had the right to change that rule and the House voted on it with 7 Dem's voting for it.

Every single one of them just voted on that Resolution on Oct. 1st and the Dems are acting like they have never heard of it before.

Last edited:
7 Democrats voted for this.

Yes they did

H.Res. 368: Relating to consideration of the joint resolution (H.J. Res. 59) making continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2014, and ... -- GovTrack.us

They have the right to do this just like the Dems do when they have the majority of the House.
Whoever has the Majority in the House can change the House Rules.
Dems have changed theirs many times when they had the majority.

Text of H.Res. 368: Relating to consideration of the joint resolution (H.J. Res. 59) making continuing appropriations for ... (Passed the House (Engrossed) version) - GovTrack.us

thanks for supplying a good link.

1383152_657569277598274_439566755_n.jpg

Forum List

Back