Huffington Post Praises Rand Paul for Transforming GOP to Libertarian

GeoLaureate8

Nobody
May 22, 2011
Sin City
Judging Rand Paul: Not Just the Distance of the Apple From the Tree

Rand Paul's efforts as both a libertarian Republican and a constitutional conservative -- both phrases he used to describe himself in a recent interview with Sean Hannity -- are more interesting, and likely to be more effective, than many have yet given him credit for.
Hannity -- a conservative host with an overwhelmingly conservative audience, including plenty of dyed-in-the-wool self-identified Republican voters (and that means many recent Romney voters) noted that Rand Paul is one of the "four strong conservative voices" in the Senate that he looks to "to bring sanity back to Washington." He didn't call Rand, "one of the four libertarian voices" in the Senate, and yet the four Senators he mentioned (Paul, Lee, Cruz and Rubio) are without much doubt the most pro-liberty members of that house).
And what "strong conservative" views did Rand Paul proceed to elucidate as Hannity endorsed his conservative credentials? They were as follows.

The need to audit the Pentagon, the need for term limits, the GOP's need to win in New England and on the west coast, the fact that he (Rand) is a libertarian Republican, which approximates to a constitutional conservative, the need for the GOP to appeal to Independents, recognition that America doesn't need to be involved in every war around the world, the fact that people shouldn't be locked up for 20 years for taking drugs, and the need to embrace immigrants.

This is not your grandfather's conservatism. But it is slowly looking more like it might become Hannity's -- and (much more importantly) your grandson's.
Some libertarians are calling out Rand for the subversion of libertarian ideas that they perceive derives from an instinct toward neoconservatism. Time will tell, and I expect it will prove them wrong. But what is already certain is that to take only that perspective is to choose not to see the very part of Rand's approach that is the most likely (by far) to bring about any practical improvement in American liberty: he is slowly redefining conservatism and Republicanism by packing more libertarian ingredients into the jars that bear those labels. (And it's the content of the jars -- and not their labels -- that matter.)

Robin Koerner: Judging Rand Paul: Not Just the Distance of the Apple From the Tree | Huffington Post

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEIrRl21eQ]Rand Paul Weigh In On The Sequester & Gun Control - Hannity - YouTube[/ame]

Rand Paul is a quirky politician. It scares me when Huffington likes him. Talk is cheap and Let's see him put his money where his mouth is

An interesting read, but I think it's clear that, if anything, the GOP has moved Rand closer to them than Rand has moved the GOP closer to him. That's not to say that he won't have some success bringing ideas that libertarians such as myself can get behind, like auditing the Pentagon, to mainstream Republican acceptance, because he could even if it's highly unlikely. The problem is that in the process he's adopting too many mainstream Republican positions that libertarians can't get behind, like sanctions against Iran or declaring that an attack on Israel is an attack on the U.S. So while it'd be great to have an audit of the Pentagon, it wouldn't mean a whole lot if we're going to go to war on behalf of a foreign government.

Koerner states:

"Those in the liberty movement who would not have any part of their philosophy peddled by this man whom they do not see as a true believer should ask whether, when Rand is fighting for just one of the things that they believe in, it would be better if he stopped?"

It's not that we don't want any part of Rand when we agree with him, it's just that we don't feel we can compromise on certain issues, namely foreign policy, to the extent that Rand has just in an attempt to make headway on other issues. Auditing the Pentagon is meaningless if we've given up on having a noninterventionist foreign policy.

Rand Paul is a quirky politician. It scares me when Huffington likes him. Talk is cheap and Let's see him put his money where his mouth is

Some of Paulian Libertarianism aligns with the left's anti-war and green movements. It won't be long until he is swapping spit with Ralph Nader.

Are you kidding me? He the most rogue member of the Senate. He filibustered the Patriot Act for 9 hours straight successfully killing the bill before Reid and Obama used a cheat loophole to reinstate it. He forced the Senate to vote on yes on an NDAA amendment preventing indefinite detention. He proposed a bill to stop using our tax dollars to send F-16s and tanks to Morsi in Egypt.

Rand Paul grilled Clinton and Kerry in the hearings, he grilled the TSA head. He is now threatening to halt the nomination of CIA Director drone murderer, John Brennan.

What other Senator is standing on the frontlines like this and delivering such devastating blows to the establishment?

I would imagine that Libertarian beliefs on social policies are at the heart of this article. They are much more in line with modern opinion than those of the repbublican party. Ask any liberal whether they would prefer Ron Paul or Rick Santorum and see how they answer.

Forum List

Back