I am so sick of books...

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
... that we read in school. The school's attempt at wanting me to enjoy reading and want to read make me not want to read at all. If they would just let us read books we would like to read, a lot smarter people would be produced.

Instead we read about racial issues. And that's it. The main character of the books we have read are never white, and rarely Christian. It's fine to integrate all ethnicities, including white Christians. I would like to read my Tom Clancy books, and my Micheal Savage books, and then great works of literature-in that order, not books on a black man's struggle in the 20th century.

I think I know what they are trying to do though. They want us to feel sorry for the minorities, but them forcing us to sympathize plants a seed of detest for the other races, and that's true, if a student has any free-thinking mind at all.

Which brings me to my next point. In my English class, everyone claims to be thinking "outside the box," where in reality, they are not. A student can say, "Yeah, I think racial minorities, African Americans (NEVER blacks), and women should get government hand-outs because they are people too." And the teacher gives them an A. I go the other way and say, "Well isn't that not equality to give blacks and women government hand-outs and not the whites? That goes against all the teachings and preachings of civil-rights movement leaders, and they would be apalled to hear you say that," or something like that. Yeah, I get a lot of wierd looks. They can't deny that I'm right though.

That's not what pisses me off though, what pisses me off is that the students claim they are thinking outside the box, which is what THOUSANDS of others and politicians have been saying for generations.

Hey, if Dan is allowed a quarterly rant, I should be able to too! :dance:

Semper Fi said:
... that we read in school. The school's attempt at wanting me to enjoy reading and want to read make me not want to read at all. If they would just let us read books we would like to read, a lot smarter people would be produced.

Instead we read about racial issues. And that's it. The main character of the books we have read are never white, and rarely Christian. It's fine to integrate all ethnicities, including white Christians. I would like to read my Tom Clancy books, and my Micheal Savage books, and then great works of literature-in that order, not books on a black man's struggle in the 20th century.

I think I know what they are trying to do though. They want us to feel sorry for the minorities, but them forcing us to sympathize plants a seed of detest for the other races, and that's true, if a student has any free-thinking mind at all.

Which brings me to my next point. In my English class, everyone claims to be thinking "outside the box," where in reality, they are not. A student can say, "Yeah, I think racial minorities, African Americans (NEVER blacks), and women should get government hand-outs because they are people too." And the teacher gives them an A. I go the other way and say, "Well isn't that not equality to give blacks and women government hand-outs and not the whites? That goes against all the teachings and preachings of civil-rights movement leaders, and they would be apalled to hear you say that," or something like that. Yeah, I get a lot of wierd looks. They can't deny that I'm right though.

That's not what pisses me off though, what pisses me off is that the students claim they are thinking outside the box, which is what THOUSANDS of others and politicians have been saying for generations.

Hold for college man. Just make sure it's not a liberal juggernaut. University of Alabama is fine choice. Great ROTC program too.

onthefence said:
Hold for college man. Just make sure it's not a liberal juggernaut. University of Alabama is fine choice. Great ROTC program too.

Nah, I cant handle the heat. I'm looking at Norwich and of course the Naval Academy...dont know how realistic the latter is though.

Semper Fi said:

What books are you reading in class? I'm curious as to the titles...

Semper Fi said:
Nah, I cant handle the heat. I'm looking at Norwich and of course the Naval Academy...dont know how realistic the latter is though.
The Naval Academy gets quite hot in the summer, if heat is a concern to you.

Semper Fi said:

This is the guibebook for most liberal teachers. http://www.nelrc.org/changeagent/

Semper Fi said:
... that we read in school. <b>The school's attempt at wanting me to enjoy reading and want to read make me not want to read at all.</b> If they would just let us read books we would like to read, a lot smarter people would be produced.

Instead we read about racial issues. And that's it. The main character of the books we have read are never white, and rarely Christian. It's fine to integrate all ethnicities, including white Christians. <b>I would like to read my Tom Clancy books, and my Micheal Savage books, and then great works of literature-in that order</b>, not books on a black man's struggle in the 20th century.

Welcome to adulthood.. You do what's required of you when you're on someone elses time, and then do what you want on your own time.

Semper Fi said:

If you want the Naval Academy, start now. I got in, but it took a LOT of determination and I wasn't even able to stay very long. My sport was swimming, a low impact exercise. The crap I did at the Naval Academy abused even my strong bones enough that one broke, and I had to drop out.

Also, make sure you can memorize things quickly and then recite them with three large men screaming in your face the whole time.

Uh? Hobbit? I didn't know you were gay. Weird. Here you are encouraging a young man to affiliate himself strictly with TheNavy? You know why The Navy carries Marines around,right? Cuz Sheep would be too obvious.

:)

hooah.

Semper Fi, if you're going to apply to one academy, I strongly, strongly suggest you apply to all three of them. If nothing else, you'll gain a bit of understanding and appreciation for the other branches, but also, if Annapolis doesn't take you for whatever reason, you have two other schools of equal caliber to fall back on.

Besides, West Point is way more prestigious! :D

The ClayTaurus said:
Are you talking about the Volvo Ocean race?

You know about the Volvo Ocean race?

I have been a fan for over 10 years....when it was called the Whitbread.

They had a stop in Ft. Lauderdale when I lived there. Hung out with the crews, etc. Wayyyy cool.

GotZoom said:
You know about the Volvo Ocean race?

I have been a fan for over 10 years....when it was called the Whitbread.

They had a stop in Ft. Lauderdale when I lived there. Hung out with the crews, etc. Wayyyy cool.
I've done some sailing in my days.

The race is finishing up a leg here in Baltimore/Annapolis.

Boats finishing this morning/today, drydocked for a week, then they'll be in the Inner Harbor this weekend and City Dock of Annapolis in 2-3 weeks.

The ClayTaurus said:
I've done some sailing in my days.

The race is finishing up a leg here in Baltimore/Annapolis.

Boats finishing this morning/today, drydocked for a week, then they'll be in the Inner Harbor this weekend and City Dock of Annapolis in 2-3 weeks.

Very jealous.

I know you are going down to the dock to check everything out.

The ClayTaurus said:
There will be pictures taken :thup:
Don't you worry.

You sail much?

Used to growing up. Hobie Cats mostly. Crewed a couple of times on Newport to San Diego and Newport to Ensenada races.

Haven't sailed since the late 70's early 80's though.

Forum List

Back