I am so sick of books...

Semper Fi,
Why don't you think you can get in? Academics, SAT. ECs, the physical requirements or something else? I assume you are a junior. If so you still have time to increase your chances of admission. I have a few suggestions, but i'd need to know what your week area is.

Mr.Conley said:
Semper Fi,
Why don't you think you can get in? Academics, SAT. ECs, the physical requirements or something else? I assume you are a junior. If so you still have time to increase your chances of admission. I have a few suggestions, but i'd need to know what your week area is.

Semper.....

If it is spelling and punctuation....go somewhere else.

:D

Mr.Conley said:
Semper Fi,

No, I'm a sophomore. For another month anyway. Right now my GPA is I think 3.4 or so, cumulative. My grades for this semester are 4 A's, 1 B, and 1 C. Though hopefully it'll be 5 A's and 1 C by the end of the year (the C is in chemistry which might as well be called hyroglyphics).

The reason I think I may not be admitted is my grades, I haven't taken the SATs or PSATs or aany college admission test yet, but my brother seems to think I may do good on those.

My brother applied for the Coast Guard Academy and the Air Force Academy, and got rejected for both. He is way more competant academically than I am, complete with AP classes and moderate SAT scores.

If I got to West Point, can I still recieve a commission in the Marines?

collegeboard.com said:
Acceptance & Retention
* Percent applicants admitted: 13%
Admission requirements:
* Interview required
* Essay(s) required
* SAT Reasoning or ACT with writing Required
Very important admission factors:
* Character/Personal Qualities
* Class Rank
* Application Essay
* Extracurricular Activities
* Interview
* Recommendations
* Rigor of secondary school record
* Standardized Test Scores
Important admission factors:
* Geographical Residence
* Talent/Ability
* Level of Applicant's Interest
Considered:
* Alumni Relation
* Racial/Ethnic Status
* Volunteer Work
* Work Experience
* Academic GPA
* First generation college student
This is the College Boards list of factors for Annapolis. As you can see, the 13% acceptance rate is better than some Ivies. High Aims. Here are my recommendations.

1. SAT- now I know that SAT scores are not the most important factor, but having high SAT scores is a lot better than low SATs. Fortunately, they shouldn't be a big concern for you. I got a 1570 and I'm mildly dyslexic. What I recommend is trying to find some sort of SAT program to attend over the summer. If I recall, Cornell has a program. Its expensive, but they should offer financial aid if nessicary and going to a Cornell program will look great on your application. Also see if your school or a local program offers SAT prep. If not, you can do what I did and buy 1-2 of those SAT prep books. I'd suggest Princeton Review and/or Barrons. Princeton Review has a lot of good tips and the like, Barrons is very rigerous. As well, the College Board offers a book entitled "5 Real SATs" or something. It contains actual SATs to practice and grade so you can see where you need improvement. I'd start practicing this summer and take the test in January. As well take the PSAT in November or whenever it is. Study for it like you would the SAT. If youget above a 210-220, then you'll probably be eligible for National Merit Scholarship. Thats $2000+ and a big boast to your chances just for getting up early on a Saturday. The key is to prepare, preferably starting in July.

2. Character/Personal Qualities- DON'T EVER GET SUSPENDED, for that matter, NEVER GET IN TROUBLE, nothing will hurt you for the Naval Academy like a suspension. If you don't drink, don't. If you do, hid it very, very, very well. Besides that, be as good a person as you can. Hold the doors for teachers, be respectful, all that kind of stuff. You'll have an easier time and you'll get a better letter of recommendation from the person you ask come senior year. It'd be really great if you could win some sort of school or community character award to show Annapolis how great you are.

3. Grades- According to the College Board, 65% of Annapolis students had a 3.75 GPA or greater, only 16% where in your bracket. Now, if you have done something to make up for that great, but the easier option is to pull those grades up. You have to get all those grades up to A. Try to pull at least a B in Chem. I personally hated Chemistry, but if you put in the hours studying, then you can probably do it. Another thing, taking AP, IB, honors or "harder" classes in general is imporant. Getting an A in AP US History says a lot more then an A in regular US History. Don't go all out though, only take as many APs as you can. Ultimately, for Annapolis, I feel pulling all As in non-APs is better than low Bs and Cs in APs (Still, if you can do it, take the AP). Your going to have to study a lot. Remember don't just do the required, "graded" homework (Which you will ALWAYS be doing) also do the extra stuff and make sure you know the material for the test.

ECs- except for the essays and grades, this is probably the most important part of your application. You need to find something you really like and get really involved in it. Preferably, this thing will be 3-5 things in which you can obtain leadership positions and piossibly national recognition. Here are a few examples
Sports- if you want to apply to Annapolis, your probably already doing this. If not you better join a team next year to prepare for the physical test. Remember a varsity letter looks a lot better than JV2 soccor. Aim for the top. Practice everyday, on weekends, and especially during summers. Thats when you get ahead of the people who don't prepare. Do 2-3 sports per year as well. For the Academy, I'd did crew, wrestling, and cross country.
Community Service- Very good for showing good personal qualities. Find an organization you like, work with them on something significant, not just shuffling papers. Aim for a couple hundred hours by senior fall. I believe I had around 800 hours by then and knew people with over 1200 but 150-200 is adequate.
Politics- does your school have a Young Republican club? Yes? Good join and participate as much as possible. I figure that since you post here, your interested in politics so this would be good. If your school doesn't hasve a YRC, found it and make it big. A really good time to do stuff would be next election fall (2006).

I'll finish later

Abbey Normal said:
Luckyyyyyy!

Sail away with me honey
I put my heart in your hands
Sail away with me honey now, now, now
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now

Crazy skies all wild above me now
Winter howling at my face
And everything I held so dear
Disappeared without a trace
Oh all the times I’ve tasted love
Never knew quite what I had
Little darling if you hear me now
Never needed you so bad
Spinning round inside my head

Sail away with me honey
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now

I’ve been talking drunken gibberish
Falling in and out of bars
Trying to find some explanation here
For the way some people are
How did it ever come so far

Sail away with me honey
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now
Sail away with me honey
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now

Semper Fi said:

Nope. Go for Annapolis. Contact your Congressman or Senator now. State your intentions and be respectful toward him or her. My sister-in-law recieved her appointment this way. She formed a relationship with Sen. McCain through his office. Her grades were nominal, but she impressed the hell out of him. He gave her a letter of appointment. Also, If you have any enlisted personel in your immediate family, retired or active, it helps. The big thing is Congressional appointment. Get to know your Rep or Sen.

Semper Fi said:

Despite what onthefence says, the answer is yes. While fewer than a dozen people each year, typically fewer than choose special forces, choose to cross branches, graduates from one academy may choose to join a branch other than the official branch of the academy. According to a lecture piece I got at the academy, of the class of 2000, 5 chose to switch branches, 2 to the Air Force, 2 to the Army, and one to the Coast Guard.

The real question is why would a true jarhead even think of attending Hudson High? :p

Hobbit said:
Despite what onthefence says, the answer is yes. While fewer than a dozen people each year, typically fewer than choose special forces, choose to cross branches, graduates from one academy may choose to join a branch other than the official branch of the academy. According to a lecture piece I got at the academy, of the class of 2000, 5 chose to switch branches, 2 to the Air Force, 2 to the Army, and one to the Coast Guard.

The real question is why would a true jarhead even think of attending Hudson High? :p

Cool, I learned something today. I thought your service contract to attend was for the Academy's specific branch. Learn something new everyday.

Semper Fi said:
No, I'm a sophomore. For another month anyway. Right now my GPA is I think 3.4 or so, cumulative. My grades for this semester are 4 A's, 1 B, and 1 C. Though hopefully it'll be 5 A's and 1 C by the end of the year (the C is in chemistry which might as well be called hyroglyphics).

The reason I think I may not be admitted is my grades, I haven't taken the SATs or PSATs or aany college admission test yet, but my brother seems to think I may do good on those.

My brother applied for the Coast Guard Academy and the Air Force Academy, and got rejected for both. He is way more competant academically than I am, complete with AP classes and moderate SAT scores.

Semper Fi, I got letters of acceptance from both West Point and Air Force, and the only reason that Annapolis didn't send one is because I have bad eyesight, and they are (or were) limited to 35% of applicants who could have worse than 20/20 vision. Let me tell you my path to acceptance:

1. I took the PSAT as a sophomore. I scored in the top 3% nationwide, with a very high math score. This got me in the National Merit Scholar running, and that's how the academies started getting interested in me. Now, I excel at test taking, and if you do too, then I advise that you take the PSAT ASAP. Then go take the SAT ASAP.

2. Grades. I had a 3.45 GPA when I graduated, but only a 3.3 when applying to college (I had straight A's my last semester of high school). What's more important than an ultra-high GPA is what courses you take. Sign up for every advanced course you can get into and do well in.

3. Physical activities. I was one of the few who was not a letterman in high school. However, I did JV basketball and wrestling. I was not extremely athletic, but if you are, go get a letter in something.

4. Extracirricular activites. Go volunteer with someone. I did a couple of different volunteer activities, I participated in a couple of school clubs, plus I had an after-school job. These kinds of things show that you are well-rounded. Find a couple that you are interested in and go do them.

5. Leadership. Leadership in anything - job, club, sports - is huge. If you are a team captain, Eagle Scout, etc., it's huge.

Hope this helps. And yes, as Hobbit said, if you go to West Point, you can get a Marine commission, but they do those on a one-for-one swap; in other words, someone from Annapolis needs to want to join the Army. You will also need to be towards the top of your class.

Mr.Conley said:
2. Character/Personal Qualities- DON'T EVER GET SUSPENDED, for that matter, NEVER GET IN TROUBLE, nothing will hurt you for the Naval Academy like a suspension. If you don't drink, don't. If you do, hid it very, very, very well. Besides that, be as good a person as you can. Hold the doors for teachers, be respectful, all that kind of stuff. You'll have an easier time and you'll get a better letter of recommendation from the person you ask come senior year. It'd be really great if you could win some sort of school or community character award to show Annapolis how great you are.

While this is great advice, I've got to share a story about my cousin. On a dare as a freshman in Abeline, TX, he shimmied up the school flagpole and planted someone's tightey-whiteys on top. The principal suspended him for a week. When my cousin subsequently applied to Annapolis, he had quite a bit of explaining to do. But, he did get in, and is now a LtCmdr in the US Navy.

... that we read in school. The school's attempt at wanting me to enjoy reading and want to read make me not want to read at all. If they would just let us read books we would like to read, a lot smarter people would be produced.

Instead we read about racial issues. And that's it. The main character of the books we have read are never white, and rarely Christian. It's fine to integrate all ethnicities, including white Christians. I would like to read my Tom Clancy books, and my Micheal Savage books, and then great works of literature-in that order, not books on a black man's struggle in the 20th century.

I think I know what they are trying to do though. They want us to feel sorry for the minorities, but them forcing us to sympathize plants a seed of detest for the other races, and that's true, if a student has any free-thinking mind at all.

Which brings me to my next point. In my English class, everyone claims to be thinking "outside the box," where in reality, they are not. A student can say, "Yeah, I think racial minorities, African Americans (NEVER blacks), and women should get government hand-outs because they are people too." And the teacher gives them an A. I go the other way and say, "Well isn't that not equality to give blacks and women government hand-outs and not the whites? That goes against all the teachings and preachings of civil-rights movement leaders, and they would be apalled to hear you say that," or something like that. Yeah, I get a lot of wierd looks. They can't deny that I'm right though.

That's not what pisses me off though, what pisses me off is that the students claim they are thinking outside the box, which is what THOUSANDS of others and politicians have been saying for generations.

Hey, if Dan is allowed a quarterly rant, I should be able to too! :dance:
I wonder what became of this budding scholar ^^^^^^.

The military hates White people. No White person should join. You just get sent off to fight wars for Israel and multinational corporations. Then when you come home physically and mentally broken you're dumped on the street like yesterday's trash.

... that we read in school. The school's attempt at wanting me to enjoy reading and want to read make me not want to read at all. If they would just let us read books we would like to read, a lot smarter people would be produced.

Instead we read about racial issues. And that's it. The main character of the books we have read are never white, and rarely Christian. It's fine to integrate all ethnicities, including white Christians. I would like to read my Tom Clancy books, and my Micheal Savage books, and then great works of literature-in that order, not books on a black man's struggle in the 20th century.

I think I know what they are trying to do though. They want us to feel sorry for the minorities, but them forcing us to sympathize plants a seed of detest for the other races, and that's true, if a student has any free-thinking mind at all.

Which brings me to my next point. In my English class, everyone claims to be thinking "outside the box," where in reality, they are not. A student can say, "Yeah, I think racial minorities, African Americans (NEVER blacks), and women should get government hand-outs because they are people too." And the teacher gives them an A. I go the other way and say, "Well isn't that not equality to give blacks and women government hand-outs and not the whites? That goes against all the teachings and preachings of civil-rights movement leaders, and they would be apalled to hear you say that," or something like that. Yeah, I get a lot of wierd looks. They can't deny that I'm right though.

That's not what pisses me off though, what pisses me off is that the students claim they are thinking outside the box, which is what THOUSANDS of others and politicians have been saying for generations.

i agree a 100 per cent!

Forum List

Back