I farmed for 40 years, and I grew sugar beets. Cruz.....

Sugar producers in the US had high duties, which ment sugar producers in cuba got sqeezed, which is why castro had a whole lot of anti american feeling to tap into

Care to elaborate? Because I don't think anyone knows what the fuck you are talking about...
Cruz claim that the sugar subsidy is paid for on the backs of the American taxpayer.
The sugar subsidy has a floor, as long as the price of sugar is above the floor there's no subsidy given. But if if falls below the floor it's subsidized, by tariffs from imported sugar.
Cruz made it sound like the public is getting ripped off by the unscrupulous.
The parent company of Idaho sugar is White Satin.
This sugar deal has always been a battle.
Cruz's sugar allegations come out of nowhere. Most people don't have a clue, or don't know what he's talking about. Or if he's just using the sugar subsidy as a whipping boy for all farm subsidies.
Most subsidies aren't really a subsidy. They just have floors in them.
But he does say his ancestory is from cuba which makes me wonder what his motives are.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate? Because I don't think anyone knows what the fuck you are talking about...
Cruz claim that the sugar subsidy is paid for on the backs of the American taxpayer.
The sugar subsidy has a floor, as long as the price of sugar is above the floor there's no subsidy given. But if if falls below the floor it's subsidized, by tariffs from imported sugar.
Cruz's sugar allegations come out of nowhere. Most people don't have a clue, or don't know what he's talking about. Or if he's just using the sugar subsidy as a whipping boy for all farm subsidies.
But he does say his ancestory is from cuba which makes me wonder what his motives are.

Do you know how to use the internet? Because I simply googled this "how much has been paid in sugar subsidies" and got the below answer from here:
Sugar Subsidies Are a Bitter Deal for American Consumers | Economics21

The program that supports the American sugar industry has many facets.
Most infamous is a subsidy program in which the U.S. Department of Agriculture gives loans to sugar farmers and allows them to repay those loans with raw sugar if sugar prices fall below 20.9 cents per pound.
This program functions as an effective mass purchase of sugar, which drives up prices for consumers and thus doubly subsidizes the industry.
The USDA then sells this sugar at a steeply discounted price to ethanol producers.
Last year the USDA spent $53.3 million on the program. Including the loans that could not be repaid, the government spent $171.5 million.

Please explain with LINKS your position that Cruz has no clue because YOU said so???

Do you know how to use the internet? Because I simply googled this "how much has been paid in sugar subsidies" and got the below answer from here:

Most infamous is a subsidy program in which the U.S. Department of Agriculture gives loans to sugar farmers and allows them to repay those loans with raw sugar if sugar prices fall below 20.9 cents per pound.
This program functions as an effective mass purchase of sugar, which drives up prices for consumers and thus doubly subsidizes the industry.
The USDA then sells this sugar at a steeply discounted price to ethanol producers.
Last year the USDA spent $53.3 million on the program. Including the loans that could not be repaid, the government spent $171.5 million.

Please explain with LINKS your position that Cruz has no clue because YOU said so???
Beat sugar is not used in ethonol production. Beat sugar in Idaho is strictly your normal sugar, and molasses.
I know because an ethonol plant is right here in burley As well as Amalgamated Sugar. One of the largest sugar processing plants in the world.
Pacific Ethanol Inc in Burley, ID | 2600 Washington Ave, Burley, ID | Superpages.com

Ethonol at this plant comes from corn railed all the way in from Nebraska.
but I am seeing more and more corn fields everywhere.

Like I said, the Beat sugar subsidy is paid for by tariffs, which the author of your article cleverly left out.
Also, sugar beats were grown years before this ethanol government "mandate" crap even came into existance, and has metastasize into what it is today..
The spike in sugar as well as other ethanol producing crops can be traced back to the "recent" invention of ethanol plants that are "government mandated".
Granted, farmers have benefited from ethanol production, and it has driven the price of food up, and ethanol has been a controversial subject among many. I myself have seen little value in the feds involvement in this. But it is what it is.
When I grew sugar beets ethanol from farm produce was not even really an invention yet.
This ethanol deal is fairly new.
SB's that Cruz votes on includes the ethanol mandate. And that mandate is 20 pct of all crops grown have to go to ethanol production.He's lumped all facets sugar production into one package
And I say you can't do that because it is multifaceted. To lump sugar "beat" growers in with the ethanol producers IMO is extremely unfair. We didn't ask for this, but we have benefited from it there's no denying

Last edited:

Beat sugar is not used in ethonol production. Beat sugar in Idaho is strictly your normal sugar, and molasses.
I know because an ethonol plant is right here in burley As well as Amalgamated Sugar. One of the largest sugar processing plants in the world.
Pacific Ethanol Inc in Burley, ID | 2600 Washington Ave, Burley, ID | Superpages.com

Like I said, the Beat sugar subsidy is paid for by tariffs, which the author of your article cleverly left out.
Also, sugar beats were grown years before this ethanol government "mandate" crap even came into existance, and has metastasize into what it is today..
The spike in sugar as well as other ethanol producing crops can be traced back to the "recent" invention of ethanol plants that are "government mandated".
Granted, farmers have benefited from ethanol production, and it has driven the price of food up, and ethanol has been a controversial subject among many. I myself have seen little value in the feds involvement in this. But it is what it is.
When I grew sugar beets ethanol from farm produce was not even really an invention yet.
SB's that Cruz votes on includes the ethanol mandate. And that mandate is 20 pct of all crops grown have to go to ethanol production.He's lumped all facets sugar production into one package
And I say you can't do that because it is multifaceted. To lump sugar "beat" growers in with the ethanol producers IMO is extremely unfair. We didn't ask for this, but we have benefited from it there's no denying

A) It is ethanol NOT ethonol!
B) it is Beet sugar ...NOT BEAT!

So consequently I really don't have much confidence in any of your comments because if you can't even spell correctly then how do you have any smarts enough
to talk about "subsidies"?
Plus you have NOT provided any links to prove that ETHANOL comes ONLY from corn!

But a growing number of U.S. sugar beet farmers, in part, exasperated by the heavily-regulated sugar industry, are now hoping to give corn a run for its bioenergy money.
Farmers view “energy” beets as a potential advanced biofuel feedstock. Credit: Maynard Helgaas, Green Vision Group

By converting sugar from so-called non-food-grade “energy” beets into commercial-quality ethanol and biochemicals, these farmers eventually hope to take a significant chunk of corn’s existing U.S. ethanol market.

Garden variety sugar beets have long been farmed in the upper Midwest, parts of the Intermountain West, and California for conversion into table-quality sweeteners. However, both entrepreneurs and farmers in California, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Minnesota and North Dakota are all warming to the idea of growing these venerable tubers solely for their bioenergy content.
Ethanol from Energy Beets: A Viable Option?

Now look at this chart that I found simply using the INTERNET????
Is $242 million in Sugar Beet Subsidies real or not???

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 11.47.25 AM.png

United States Sugar Beet Subsidies || EWG Farm Subsidy Database

I thought that was an odd comment as well.

A) It is ethanol NOT ethonol!
B) it is Beet sugar ...NOT BEAT!

So consequently I really don't have much confidence in any of your comments because if you can't even spell correctly then how do you have any smarts enough
to talk about "subsidies"?
Plus you have NOT provided any links to prove that ETHANOL comes ONLY from corn!

But a growing number of U.S. sugar beet farmers, in part, exasperated by the heavily-regulated sugar industry, are now hoping to give corn a run for its bioenergy money.
Farmers view “energy” beets as a potential advanced biofuel feedstock. Credit: Maynard Helgaas, Green Vision Group

By converting sugar from so-called non-food-grade “energy” beets into commercial-quality ethanol and biochemicals, these farmers eventually hope to take a significant chunk of corn’s existing U.S. ethanol market.

Garden variety sugar beets have long been farmed in the upper Midwest, parts of the Intermountain West, and California for conversion into table-quality sweeteners. However, both entrepreneurs and farmers in California, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Minnesota and North Dakota are all warming to the idea of growing these venerable tubers solely for their bioenergy content.
Ethanol from Energy Beets: A Viable Option?

Now look at this chart that I found simply using the INTERNET????
Is $242 million in Sugar Beet Subsidies real or not???

View attachment 54465
United States Sugar Beet Subsidies || EWG Farm Subsidy Database

I've never denied susidies for the sugarbeet industry in all my comments. I would never know the exact amount at my level of the game.What Im saying is that imported sugar is tariffed, and "those" tariffs are used in the subsidy.

As far as the internet goes. I was getting out of farming about the time the internet was starting
The chart showed no subsidies prior to 2000. I don't know if that is true. I was always under the impression when I was growing sugarbeets that there was a floor.
If the price of sugar was above the floor there would no need of the subsidy.
But I was under the impression that even prior to 2000 I was receiving a subsidy.

btw: Im 65 I haven't grown beets since I was 50. I grew sugarbeets from 1974-1990

in the farm year 2014 there was an over production of beet sugar, and for the first time
Pacific ethanol bought some sugar from amalgamated (white satin) sugar here in Burley.
But the corn is imported because the growing season isn't long enough for that type of corn here in Idaho.Seems rather hokey to import corn all the way from nebraska by rail to here. The railroad has an agreement with the city that they'll only deliver during certain hours so it don't tie up traffic in the mighty metropolis of Burley Idaho
On another note. I know several of the employees that work at the ethanol plant and they say gasoline prices have to be above a certain level for them to operate profitably.
And I know that must be true because the plant shut down when the price of gas dropped below about $1.60 gallon. And didn't run for about 6 months.

food prices have definitely gone up since the ethanol mandate You said in your article sugarbeet growers are migrating to ethanol. That doesn't surprise me, if that's where the money is
There's an old farm saying ,'It seems one facet of agriculture doesn't prosper except at the expense of the other."

I don't know where your coming from, whether you don't like subsidies, or you're a hard core Cruz fan didn't like my comment.

Cruz skipped over one of the most heavily subsidized industries ,energy, and attacked Sugar. Funny how he leaves stuff out. Like when he said his father fled torture in Cuba. He forgot to point out that the reason his father was tortured was that he was a soldier in Castro's army.

Forum List

Back