i have a 2k telescope. I never use it. A crime or just wasted indulgence?

I bought a badass telescope some years ago. All you have to do is level it and program what you want to see and it auto finds it. I haven't used it in years but I sit on my deck regularly and stare up at the stars.
I've loaned it out to my neighbors multiple times and they bring it back saying it was too hard to use.

I've got to the point I just sit back in the chair/couch and just enjoy looking up at the stars.

I feel like it's just a pile of cash wasting away but for some reason I can't bring myself to sell it. I feel like I might miss the once in a lifetime opportunity to "see" something.
While it is pretty damn accurate it does require some "fine tuning" and as you all know I'm usually trashed on my extended days off. So wtf....

Should I try to sell it considering it's old tech or hang on to it for that once and a lifetime glance?

It is pretty old and while it is digital and self locating im sure its old tech by now.

Thoughts?
I'm betting you have an old Meade or Celestron goto alt/az. They are dime a dozen. If you really need the money, sell it on Astromart you'll get some money for it, or you could actually try using it and enjoy the Messier and other deep sky + Moon and planets.
I think it is a Meade. Haven't had it out in eons so it's not the money. I bought it at the Discovery Channel store cause my kids wanted it. Those days are long past now.

I bought a badass telescope some years ago. All you have to do is level it and program what you want to see and it auto finds it. I haven't used it in years but I sit on my deck regularly and stare up at the stars.
I've loaned it out to my neighbors multiple times and they bring it back saying it was too hard to use.

I've got to the point I just sit back in the chair/couch and just enjoy looking up at the stars.

I feel like it's just a pile of cash wasting away but for some reason I can't bring myself to sell it. I feel like I might miss the once in a lifetime opportunity to "see" something.
While it is pretty damn accurate it does require some "fine tuning" and as you all know I'm usually trashed on my extended days off. So wtf....

Should I try to sell it considering it's old tech or hang on to it for that once and a lifetime glance?

It is pretty old and while it is digital and self locating im sure its old tech by now.

Thoughts?
There is no law against expensive paper weights.

Thoughts?
I'm betting you have an old Meade or Celestron goto alt/az. They are dime a dozen. If you really need the money, sell it on Astromart you'll get some money for it, or you could actually try using it and enjoy the Messier and other deep sky + Moon and planets.
I think it is a Meade. Haven't had it out in eons so it's not the money. I bought it at the Discovery Channel store cause my kids wanted it. Those days are long past now.
Well, if you sell it, you might want to collimate the optics. I could tell from your picture of the star that it looks WAY out. Will give much better views.

Thoughts?
Well, if you sell it, you might want to collimate the optics. I could tell from your picture of the star that it looks WAY out. Will give much better views.
I took that picture with my Note 10 lol

I've got one I use rarely. Normally only when I go up into Canada/Minnesota and the light pollution isn't so bad, or if there is some weird cosmic event going on.

Mine was similar in that there was a learning curve. Once I pushed through that, though it was pretty simple.

My advice is to use the damn thing. Take a day and learn it. It's worth it and like anything else, once you get it figured out it's easy. You won't get shit for it used, a fraction of the value so unless you can offload it for a good buck I'd keep it.

About the only thing I ever look at is the moon, and an average pair of binoculars are good enough for that. As for scopes you have drive out to Marfa or Big Bend for decent photo quality focus, and even the gas flares from the criminal over-production being burned off can make a clear night total shit in some areas, so I never bought one. Looked at a 16" Cassegriniain(sp) once, but wimped out.

i have a pair of binoculars that need to set on a tripod because of its weight.....i am able to see Saturn and its rings.....

Forum List

Back