I miss DOS

no. screwing around for hours to load everything into hi or extended mem so i could squeeze everything out of the 640k of conventional memory to get the newest wing commander to run.

screw you config.sys
screw you autoexec.bat
screw you mscdex.exe
screw you mouse.bat
screw you himem.sys

You have point there but couldn't DOS just be upgraded to treat all memory the same? I don't think it is a problem with the command prompt but more of a problem with lack of development for the OS.
all versions of ms-dos were limited to 640k of conventional memory. i do think 6.0 made the ems/xms better, but that might just be poor recollection.
I do remember doing all of that shit for Wing Commander. That is why Wing Commander on SUperNES was better.
blasphemy!

Why couldn't they just make DOS use all of the memory just like they did for windows95? It just seems like a development issue.

Colbert was talking about DOD computers last night. The computer that controls all of the US's nuclear codes and missiles is an IBM built in 1976.

'Da fuq?
I cant imagine that is true.

I didn't think it could be true either but it is. The DOD uses a computer that uses 8" floppy discs to control our nuclear arsenal.

Report: US Defense still uses floppy disks in nuclear program
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that possibly being true. I was in the military and my background is in the IT field. i've worked with the DOD on projects and their systems are more than just up to date.

Sometimes reliability becomes an issue with upgrades. Do you remember how well Windows 7 worked but then it stopped working when they upgraded everything? That could happen with the nukes so they leave it as it is. I hate to see "Would you like to reinstall" window appear during a time when we have to use them. It is a miracle computers don't accidentally crash right when we need them the most such as having to launch the space shuttle.
Pretty sure the systems used to control the nukes is Unix based.

Yeah I'm not buying it. You dont have to run it on an old system to keep the it off the internet. All you have to do is set up a private network with no access to the internet. In order to get to the internet the traffic needs to be routed and assigned an IP address from IANA. You set up two or more servers and back up using your private network and then take a copy and place it in an offsite storage facility.

Yeah I'm not buying it. You dont have to run it on an old system to keep the it off the internet. All you have to do is set up a private network with no access to the internet. In order to get to the internet the traffic needs to be routed and assigned an IP address from IANA. You set up two or more servers and back up using your private network and then take a copy and place it in an offsite storage facility.

I'm just posting articles.

The military uses 256 bit encryption so I think their comms are secure. But, human beings have a way for figuring out how to beat any system over time. Keeping computers disconnected from the internet and instead on an intranet is a good first line but all it takes is one person with a usb drive, or 8" floppy in this case, to load malicious content into a system as happened with Stuxnet.

I'm just posting articles.

The military uses 256 bit encryption so I think their comms are secure. But, human beings have a way for figuring out how to beat any system over time. Keeping computers disconnected from the internet and instead on an intranet is a good first line but all it takes is one person with a usb drive, or 8" floppy in this case, to load malicious content into a system as happened with Stuxnet.
That wasnt directed at you. it was more the guy in the article.

For a system like that I would bet they were using something that would take longer to crack like 4096 bit encryption. I cant imagine all the checks and double checks they would have on access. Of course every security systems weakest link is the human element.

Why not jump into the Linux world if dicking around in the terminal floats your boat? It where the real geeks live.
i'm on a Ubuntu machine right now.
While I actually like icytweasle he's a Linux devotee and (based on his postings) anything else is just plain crap. He's kinda like Blei with his anti-Linux, pro Windows rantings and the Apple Mac acolytes that pretend Mac can do no wrong.
It takes all kinds....... :lol:

Why not jump into the Linux world if dicking around in the terminal floats your boat? It where the real geeks live.
While I actually like icytweasle he's a Linux devotee and (based on his postings) anything else is just plain crap. He's kinda like Blei with his anti-Linux, pro Windows rantings and the Apple Mac acolytes that pretend Mac can do no wrong.
Why are you lying? I question people when they come here and lie about operating systems. I find they usually have an ax to grind. I've used OSX and Windows from 3.11 to XP. I see no need to pay for what I can accomplish with Linux and for some bizarre reason that just knots up the panties of some people big time. That is not my problem!

Why are you lying? I question people when they come here and lie about operating systems. I find they usually have an ax to grind. I've used OSX and Windows from 3.11 to XP. I see no need to pay for what I can accomplish with Linux and for some bizarre reason that just knots up the panties of some people big time. That is not my problem!
I'm not lying, I said "based on your postings", at least what I've read. You may not mean it that way but it's how you come across, you appear to be what I said you are.

I'm not lying, I said "based on your postings", at least what I've read. You may not mean it that way but it's how you come across, you appear to be what I said you are.
I stated my experience with Windows and exaggerated nothing and never said OSX was crap, never recall saying anything against it beyond the software isn't free and I no longer need it. You put your own personal bias into the posts.

I stated my experience with Windows and exaggerated nothing and never said OSX was crap, never recall saying anything against it beyond the software isn't free and I no longer need it. You put your own personal bias into the posts.
Sure thing there Sparky...... :thup:

Poster: I have a problem with_______, you: Linux.......... Poster: I have a problem with______, you: Linux.

Last edited:

Poster: I have a problem with_______, you: Linux.......... Poster: I have a problem with______, you: Linux.
Fuck you, you fat asshole. You couldn't back up your shit. No doubt the same in real life!

Fuck you, you fat asshole. You couldn't back up your shit. No doubt the same in real life!
Touched a nerve....... :lmao:

You're a lying shitstain. The nerve was all yours, fat boy.

Yet I'm not the one calling you names........ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i 'use' ubuntu on older machines i still have a use for.

but right now i'm really into playing with raspberry pi's. jut got my hands on some zeroes. jammed one inside an old nes cartridge, now i have access to every nes, genesis, and snes game made.

i built a kodi machine out of a pi 3 - those are fun little beasts.

but i do suck at the terminal stuff. feels like i'm back in the dos days working with it - which does oddly have its own appeal

Yet I'm not the one calling you names........ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
You're just a lying asshole that can't back up his shit. That a preference for you for some reason.

i 'use' ubuntu on older machines i still have a use for.

but right now i'm really into playing with raspberry pi's. jut got my hands on some zeroes. jammed one inside an old nes cartridge, now i have access to every nes, genesis, and snes game made.

i built a kodi machine out of a pi 3 - those are fun little beasts.

but i do suck at the terminal stuff. feels like i'm back in the dos days working with it - which does oddly have its own appeal
I've got Kodi on an android box and watch most of my TV on it. It's not as fast as the Roku 3 but they have some hot programmers or something.

Forum List

Back