I Often Wondered & Now I Know!

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
I know goats & deer fairly well for sure but had always wondered if they can completely coexist with one another as I have never had goats & deer together @ the same time. I know that a nursing doe deer will care & nurse a dead does orphaned fawns(sometimes) as deer does have been seen with four or more fawns in tow, but deer are NOT capable(that I know of) of carrying/throwing more than three fawns. My question has been answered beyond my wildest expectations! Not only can they be compatible with one another a nursing doe goat can/will actually ADOPT a dead dear doe's fawn(s)! Considering deer are of the family Cervidae where goats are of the family Bovidae this is unbelievably good news to me! Fawns, kid goats don't live life without them!

I've had to punch a goat. Not a fan. Deer are cool.

I didn't punch it in the head, I punched it in the jaw. The expected outcome was realized and the owner was not mad at me.

Oh Geez. Yeah, that happened. They can be ornery. I laid it out and we left.

Last edited:
Deer adopted by people are pretty common. Not a fan of goats myself, even as food or source of cheese. Very destructive animals and obnoxious.

Deer hunting in the U.S.is pretty much a joke. They're fed like cattle and any drunk can just set up a blind near a feeder and some will show up. Stalking a corn feeder and calling it 'hunting' is ridiculous farce. But I do recognize the need to control the deer population.

Elk hunting in the wild is kosher.

Last edited:
Not surprising. We used to have a goat farm near us. It wasn't unheard of to see deer out in the fields with the goat herd. Herd animals aren't that really different behavior wise. Several years ago there was some south American antelope that was getting spotted regularly running around by itself at top speed in the city. People referred to it as a unicorn which increased everybody's interest in it. It eventually ended up taking up in a herd of cattle out in the country. They never would say where because of a fear it would be hunted by a trophy collector, but the farmer whose herd it took up with said he was fine with it staying among the cattle as it wasn't a problem for the antelope or the cows. Otherwise they would have had to captured it and put it in a zoo (or kill it).

I've had to punch a goat. Not a fan. Deer are cool.

I didn't punch it in the head, I punched it in the jaw. The expected outcome was realized and the owner was not mad at me.

Oh Geez. Yeah, that happened. They can be ornery. I laid it out and we left.
It always helps to imprint with the lil tykes as they are leaving the womb & entering into the world. Below is an image of my lil Pandora(Pandy) that I had to deliver surgically after her momma succumbed to wounds going into labor suffered from a wolf attack on the herd(ugly beyond belief). Under the circumstances I had no choice but to imprint with Pandy as I found myself suddenly cast into the role of a savior. She was a real sweetheart for sure! Below; Pandy laying on our neighbors lap @ about a month or so of age. Tragically Pandy's sister did not make it out alive. If U R ever out in the wild viewing wildlife & spot a wolf(s) please make sure "FOR ME" that U R viewing the wolf(s) through optics that are cross haired equipped & I'll do the same for you!

Attachments

• barn.JPG
    barn.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 11
It always helps to imprint with the lil tykes as they are leaving the womb & entering into the world. Below is an image of my lil Pandora(Pandy) that I had to deliver surgically after her momma succumbed to wounds going into labor suffered from a wolf attack on the herd(ugly beyond belief). Under the circumstances I had no choice but to imprint with Pandy as I found myself suddenly cast into the role of a savior. She was a real sweetheart for sure! Below; Pandy laying on our neighbors lap @ about a month or so of age. Tragically Pandy's sister did not make it out alive. If U R ever out in the wild viewing wildlife & spot a wolf(s) please make sure "FOR ME" that U R viewing the wolf(s) through optics that are cross haired equipped & I'll do the same for you!

How much is the pay for getting rid of nuisance predators? That's something I can do!

I couldn't just go out and kill a wolf indiscriminantly. A good friend of mine had a wolf for a couple decades and

her and my dog were the same age, and they loved each other. I mean they really loved each other.

Even after they both were fixed they'd still have sex and play and all that. And yes, she was a wolf.

That was a good dog.

Last edited:
Deer adopted by people are pretty common. Not a fan of goats myself, even as food or source of cheese. Very destructive animals and obnoxious.

Deer hunting in the U.S.is pretty much a joke. They're fed like cattle and any drunk can just set up a blind near a feeder and some will show up. Stalking a corn feeder and calling it 'hunting' is ridiculous farce. But I do recognize the need to control the deer population.

Elk hunting in the wild is kosher.
"...pretty common"? With only 4% of the American public out hunting anymore, the "Deer Whispering Community" is rapidly taking over the deer population. When Dr. Melanie Butera & her husband Steve Heathman took in a dying half blind White-Tailed doe fawn from a deer farmer & nursed her back to health the Deer Whispering community was officially launched. "Dillie the Deer" won over America but when "Dillie Cam 24/7" came online it took our planet by storm. It looked like Dr. Butera, Steve & Dillie were being transformed into the "Mother, Father & Holy Dillie! When the news got out that the INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION had sent a message to Dillie's foster parents it caused an uproar that shot Dillie Cam 24/7 literally into outer space!!! Over a Million folks around our globe tuned into Dillie Cam with gift$ & praise abounding! The entire message from the International Space Station contained only two words; "Where's Dillie?"(See link below for full story on this)

I agree with the "farce" for sure! I also hunt deer but it's with berries of all sorts, rolled oats, PayDay's, honey roasted peanuts, melons, Fritos, pears, apples, peaches, grapes/raisins etc. No super exotics in my neck of the woods like those blisteringly beautiful Columbian Black-Tailed deer, just the more generic White-Tailed deer. We do have the more exotic Mulies about 15/20 miles north of me but I am both wise & humane enough to avoid pulling off a fawnnapping. I learned a looong time ago as a kid in Redland Oregon that one brings in the ENTIRE herd with the feed manger, befriends the head herd doe(Matriarchal society) & the herd is then on ones acreage in full force. The links below tell the story of deer fascination & Fawn addiction.

If ya got one more precious than this lil guy please send it MY WAY!

When the mob breaks into your house!

Heart stealer! A Piebald(SUPER RARE) fawn in distress desperately trying to flag down human for help!

Lil Buster! The Squirrel is unique among the Deer Whispering community as she fields 20+ drop dead gorgeous Mule deer in her herd, where most folks feature the more common White-Tailed deer. Here you will get to meet Baby Bently, Broken dEAR(U can't miss him!), Bev, Oscar & the rest of the herd including drop dead gorgeous Squirrel herself! Great vids/shorts & music! THIS IS A FIVE STAR SITE IN MY OPINION! If impressed PLEASE leave both thumbs up & positive feedback for this fox & her babies!

Dead nursing doe found @ night on road, fawn follows couple home, fawn is rescued, a day by day account of the life of a wild fawn but domesticated to only one couple. Husband sucked in now calls Bambi "son". Couple ends up with quite a herd of White-Tailed deer!!! This couple are as real as real can get like beautiful Americans! Give them a thumbs up please!

There's a bazillion other "wild deer but domesticated to only one person/family" vids on YouTube. Those fawns just anchor folks in their tracks then end up owning our minds. No way to resist them just too cute. Speaking of cute I included the below short for humor;

Bully Deer

Thanks for the reply, till next time!

Last edited:
"...pretty common"? With only 4% of the American public out hunting anymore,

340 million at 4% is almost 14 million hunters. We had a resident population of 132 million in the WW II era. In 1960 there were 180 million and 14 million hunters.

Every deer lease I know of is taken every year, and they're expensive. you're right the gross numbers have seen a decline, but we still have a lot out there.

Liked the videos. Deer are pretty cool critters.

340 million at 4% is almost 14 million hunters. We had a resident population of 132 million in the WW II era. In 1960 there were 180 million and 14 million hunters.

Every deer lease I know of is taken every year, and they're expensive. you're right the gross numbers have seen a decline, but we still have a lot out there.

Liked the videos. Deer are pretty cool critters.
I live between Deer Lake(Stevens county) & the town of Deer Park(Spokane county). The White-Tailed deer in this area mostly live on the crop farmers acreage(posted private property no hunting). Most of these herds subsist upon browse & oats & maybe some barley when planted. Pear & apple trees keep them happy also. During winter time on my way to & from work the farmsteads off the side of the road look like a soup kitchen for the poor. The deer are milling about the out buildings waiting to be fed. Some of the farmers have stored crops(from their harvest) of oats(best for deer) & probably some Barley plus the commercial feeds like MOBC/Deer feed & an assortment of mineral blocks(salt blocks). One can only imagine during the holiday season with the misses baking cookies overtime who a LOT of those cookies are going to!

In all reality the deer, @ least the deer in these parts are already, or are in the process of becoming family farm pets. With the ever higher cost of living due to g'ment debt spending folks don't have time to hunt them down, gut them, skin them, butcher them, wrap the cuts in butcher paper then load the cuts into the ole freezer, not to mention tanning the hides & the permit/license fees. Folks just stop @ Egger Meats in Deer Park & pick up their order of whatever, take the order home & load it into the freezer & it's DONE! The great part of it all is a FAIR AMOUNT of the meats come from local farmers so the $$$$$ spent is supporting folks in our local community!

The local White-Tailed deer make for great entertainment for the grand children when they are brought out to visit grandpa & grandma as well as great pets for the farmers & their families. Add in the GROWING Deer Whispering community & their viewing audience & the future of deer hunting looks to be not as much in demand as it once was. It's all too bad as the deer are over populating & spilling over into residential areas in the cities. Paranoid folks like the big city lefties would not have any idea if a deer was a carnivorous man eater or not, if they even knew what a deer was? This would no doubt lead to a call to the local animal control authorities(?) & a euthanized deer out of ignorance.

Take care D/S, till next time!

Forum List

Back