I thought I'd go with another baseball question for y'all............

Just about the only black catcher I know of , Manny Sanguillén, of the Pirates.
Manuel De Jesus Sanguillén Magan (actually from Panama)

My dad took me to game 3 of this Series when I was 10....

Wow, that must have been exciting! I've never been to a World Series game. I was living in Phoenix when the D-Backs won the series in 2001, but the price of a seat, even in the nosebleed sections, was way too much for me. My dad was lucky enough to go to game 2 of that series, and got to see the D-Backs win AND Ray Charles sing "America the Beautiful". My dad's friend, who was pretty well off financially, got FOUR tickets for him and his girlfriend and and my dad and his. My dad took a few pictures, but their seats were pretty high up, in a nosebleed section. But he did get a couple pics of Ray Charles, unfortunately he was so high up, the singer could've been anyone. I was a LITTLE jealous, but I was happy for my dad and his girlfriend.

It blows my mind that between MLB games I've been to in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, NYC, Atlanta, and Ft Worth Texas (Arlington) at least 6 or 7 of those stadiums are gone now.

No kidding I remember driving along Atlanta and seeing the the stadium being built in the 1980s, now its gone

I was at the game in 74 when Hank took Babes record. Wild crowd, Some of them thar innerbreds didn't like it too much when a darkie took over.I was with a bunch from the Pagans MC out of VA. Coulda got weird if the Outlaws showed up. Law dawgs made them lose the colors before they could go in

Wow, I bet THAT was exciting! I didn't even watch the game live, but of course saw the replay of that historic home run, most likely on the news that night.

1) Buck Ewing

2) Mickey Cochrane

3) Roy Campanella

4)Joe Torre

5) Gabby Hartnett

Not in any specific order. All cool and great players
Thanks, Azog. I somehow forgot about Campanella! HE would be my #5 pick, which would drop Piazza to #6. And Joe Torre was a VERY good hitter for a catcher, he actually won the National League batting title in 1971 playing for the Cardinals.
I just checked Torre's numbers for 1971, and they're unbelievable. He led the league with an eye-popping .363 batting average, 24 home runs, and a league leading 137 RBI. He also had 230 hits, which I think has to be the most hits in a season by a catcher. He was the National League MVP, which he obviously deserved. What a season!
Here's something interesting. Torre IS listed as having the most hits in a season by a catcher, but for 1970, not 1971, with 203. And he's not even listed in the top 10 for 1971! This has to be because the stats are for when that player actually was the catcher, and obviously does NOT count the games they played at another position. I know Torre also played first base, so he must have played quite a few games there in 1971.
Joe Torre would have made a good wise guy, like Joe Pesci.
1586577551658.png

1586577419557.png

Wow, that must have been exciting! I've never been to a World Series game. I was living in Phoenix when the D-Backs won the series in 2001, but the price of a seat, even in the nosebleed sections, was way too much for me. My dad was lucky enough to go to game 2 of that series, and got to see the D-Backs win AND Ray Charles sing "America the Beautiful". My dad's friend, who was pretty well off financially, got FOUR tickets for him and his girlfriend and and my dad and his. My dad took a few pictures, but their seats were pretty high up, in a nosebleed section. But he did get a couple pics of Ray Charles, unfortunately he was so high up, the singer could've been anyone. I was a LITTLE jealous, but I was happy for my dad and his girlfriend.

It blows my mind that between MLB games I've been to in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, NYC, Atlanta, and Ft Worth Texas (Arlington) at least 6 or 7 of those stadiums are gone now.

No kidding I remember driving along Atlanta and seeing the the stadium being built in the 1980s, now its gone

I was at the game in 74 when Hank took Babes record. Wild crowd, Some of them thar innerbreds didn't like it too much when a darkie took over.I was with a bunch from the Pagans MC out of VA. Coulda got weird if the Outlaws showed up. Law dawgs made them lose the colors before they could go in

Wow, I bet THAT was exciting! I didn't even watch the game live, but of course saw the replay of that historic home run, most likely on the news that night.

Watch this.

Bluz. Come down some day and we'll go get a fried guapote up at Denny Martinez' place on Lake Nicaragua(3 hrs).He has a mini 'hall of fame' at the resort you'd get a kick out of.
Kinda like here but drier and flatter. Less jungle except on Ometepe island. More like an ocean than a lake. HUGE
150206130527-nicaragua-ometepeon-lake-nicaragua-exlarge-169.jpg

Watch this.

Wow...." A black man getting a standing ovation in the south..."
I watched this game but never heard that I guess. :auiqs.jpg:

You know back in the 70's I had 4 sports posters on my bedroom walls-- Hank Aaron, Wilt Chamberlain and Muhammad Ali. ...and the Vikings Purple People Eaters
who went on to piss me off by losing 4 super bowls.:mad:

Last edited:

Watch this.

Thanks very much for the post, bear.

Watch this.

Wow...." A black man getting a standing ovation in the south..."
I watched this game but never heard that I guess. :auiqs.jpg:

You know back in the 70's I had 3 sports posters on my bedroom walls-- Hank Aaron, Wilt Chamberlain and Muhammad Ali. ...and the Vikings Purple People Eaters
who went on to piss me off by losing 4 super bowls.:mad:

Now you get it and realize what hank did, he was a quiet man and just did works of love

Watch this.

I just watched it. Such a fantastic moment for not just baseball, but for all sports. Aaron is MY all-time home run king, and is my #2 best baseball player ever behind only, you guessed it, Babe Ruth. Thanks, again, for the post, bear.

Watch this.

I just watched it. Such a fantastic moment for not just baseball, but for all sports. Aaron is MY all-time home run king, and is my #2 best baseball player ever behind only, you guessed it, Babe Ruth. Thanks, again, for the post, bear.

You already know this but it goes with out saying the babe could kill a baseball being in the bar the morning. Before a game

Hank and the babe had the gift like no others, Barry, Sammy and Mark just used steroids to beat them..

Didn't half the crowd leave after the home run?

I'm not sure. A good question. Can you blame them if they did? They had just witnessed THE greatest moment in baseball history, the rest of the game would've been an afterthought. I believe it was a week night, many probably wanted to get home because they had to work the next day.

I'm not sure. A good question. Can you blame them if they did? They had just witnessed THE greatest moment in baseball history, the rest of the game would've been an afterthought. I believe it was a week night, many probably wanted to get home because they had to work the next day.

I checked, the game was on a Monday.

Forum List

Back