Idaho's taxpayers get to pay for inmates "reassignment" surgery

What absolute bullshit.

Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's surgery, court rules

A federal appeals court has ruled that the state of Idaho must pay for a transgender inmate's sex reassignment surgery. The state says it will appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Inmate Adree Edmo has been living as a woman for years, but has been housed in a men's prison, CBS Idaho affiliate KBOI reports. Deborah Ferguson, an attorneyrepresenting Edmo, said in January her client was at risk of self-harm if the surgery was postponed.

Edmo, 31, was diagnosed with gender dysmorphia in 2012. Ferguson argued that the state's refusal to provide the surgery was unconstitutional.

Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's surgery, court rules

Pathetic.

No amount of surgery will reduce the size of their bigger masculine bones.... big hands ... big feet....legs .........they are still men they will always be.

Who are they trying to fool. Sad.

Idiots.
And have periods/ give birth..

Exactly skye.

There is a diagnosable condition called gender dysphoria as you just referenced. So I guess the question becomes about what the best treatment is and if surgery for certain cases is the best possible testament. Should bipolar people get meds for their condition? Should somebody who is scared of the dark and gets panic attacks get a night light?

I personally probably wouldn't support gender reassignment surgery for inmates but I also have much to learn about this situation and the arguments used to rationalize it.

Just because some quack thinks its psychiatrically beneficial to give Sex Change operation doesn't mean that it is. Remember the psychiatric community thought so much of Lobotomies, that doctors were awarded the Nobel prize for the new surgery.
So what’s your point? Ignore the medical community?

When they are obviously goofy, yes, exactly.

They should be ignored.

Sex change operations aren't effective in making homosexuals feel better about themselves at all.
Who decides what qualifies with “obviously goofy”

Should they foot the bill for somebody who gets pregnant while incarcerated? How about somebody who breaks their nose or gets a tooth ache or needs antidepressants . Where do you draw the line?
So you saying prison guards are raping the inmates?
Where do you think I said that?
How else could inmates get pregnant?
Conjugal visits. What’s with the tangent? This has nothing to do with my point

I don't remember those with my wife..
Sucks for you

Your point ?
I didn’t make a point, I asked a question

What is your point, in asking this, of course I've examined the story.
I was asking because it is not an “of course” situation. Many people on this board react to headlines without any detailed knowledge of the situation. Since you know the details then what constitutional reasoning did you understand the judge to use for his ruling and what about that ruling do you disagree with?

I disagree taxpayers should ever have to foot the bill for someone who has decided they want to swap genders.
Should they foot the bill for somebody who gets pregnant while incarcerated? How about somebody who breaks their nose or gets a tooth ache or needs antidepressants . Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at elective surgery.
This guy wants to change his sex, let him pay for it.

Forum List

Back