The G.O.P. prizes Black Republicans — as long as they don’t alienate white members

Here we see the white racist argument about voter suppression. Trump didn't unite anyone with any speech.

From the pedo man that you voted for. Remember, you voted for that racist.

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

This is the truth. Black Republicans can go as far as they want, just as long as they don't say something that makes whites feel uncomfortable. Such is why Byron Donalds has been able to move forward. Donalds is no spectacuar intellectual giant. But he gained great favor with Republicans when he repeated that tired black family and LBJ nonsense. He can't say that the white backlash since the Civil Rights Movement has been the probem because if he does that, he will lose any chance at a potential presidential run in 2028. And look what happened to Candace Owens when she decided to say something about white Jews.

The G.O.P. prizes Black Republicans — as long as they don’t alienate white members​

As the entire nation grapples with issues relating to race and racial inequality, all kinds of organizations—from churches to businesses to neighborhood associations—are trying to demonstrate their commitment to racial diversity in a way that does not alienate white stakeholders. The Republican Party is no exception, and, in fact, it has long struggled to project an openness to diversity. But presenting a diverse coalition of support has particular resonance in the wake of the Trump administration.

The public representation of Black Republicans has certainly shifted under Mr. Trump’s leadership of the party. The social media personalities Diamond and Silk replaced Michael Steele, the Catholic former chair of the Republican National Committee. Former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke was more relevant than General Colin Powell. Candace Owens supplanted Condoleezza Rice. Internet celebrities have taken the place of the legislators, military leaders and judges who used to stand as the “face” of Black Republicans.

The Black Republicans in my study often complained that concerns about their racial identity resulted in a skeptical embrace from their white Republican counterparts. They reported that white Republicans were eager to have Black representation in the G.O.P., but this eagerness came with a concern that Black racial identity would take precedence over partisanship. As a consequence, they felt they had to constantly prove their conservative bona fides, especially with respect to policies perceived as especially benefiting Black people.

Accordingly, the way that Black Republicans talked about race was critical in establishing their legitimacy with other Republicans. Invoking racism or discrimination as an explanation for racial inequality, they told me, was verboten because that was inconsistent with party rhetoric. Across the nation, I heard that white skepticism within the G.O.P. not only shaped how Black Republicans got to talk about their own racial identity but also structured how they framed conservative policies in relation to Black people.

Black Republicans also told me that their opportunities for advancement in the G.O.P. depended on sticking to the party’s dominant rhetoric on race. When the Republican Party embraces white grievance, articulates anti-Black policies and raises anti-Black voices, Black Republicans are less able to talk about Republican policies in ways that will uplift Black people. The Black Republicans who articulate ideas consistent with white grievance, or who work to undermine claims of racism, are given broad platforms within the party, even when those ideas are not particularly resonant with Black audiences.

This race-blind messaging is not necessarily representative of what all Black Republicans think, but it is what the primarily white leadership of Republican organizations wants to hear.

Once again the op regresses to the any black man that doesn’t think like me is an Uncle Tom trope. If they think like the op then they aren’t Republican and should they claim the monicker they aren’t going to advance in that group due to ideology not race.
Again, nobody gives a damn what a white conservatve who calls white liberals all kinds of names because they don't think like them, says about me calling blacks who repeat white supremacists beliefs Uncle Toms. Because thats what they are, and that is putting it kindly. So when black Republicans are promoted who are able to speak the truth instead of the white lie of colorblindness, they will not be called what they are.

From the pedo man that you voted for. Remember, you voted for that racist.

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
I voted for the man who wasn't charged by the DOJ for racial discrimination in housing.

The author is being too kind in his description of the situation OP.

I don't see a great difference b/w Black Republicans under Trump's regime than those before him.

It's just that under Trump, they're more offensive, unmasked and blatant about what they've always been.

That said, it's good this is becoming more known though.

True. Nothing has changed. Colin Powell was the company man for years, but when he chose to think independently and endorsed Obana, white republicans losttheir minds. These black Repubicans the paety pushes to the front would get cussed out by old time black Republicans like Frederick Douglass.

Again, nobody gives a damn what a white conservatve who calls white liberals all kinds of names because they don't think like them, says about me calling blacks who repeat white supremacists beliefs Uncle Toms. Because thats what they are, and that is putting it kindly. So when black Republicans are promoted who are able to speak the truth instead of the white lie of colorblindness, they will not be called what they are.
I’m Moron 2
Aptly self named

This is the truth. Black Republicans can go as far as they want, just as long as they don't say something that makes whites feel uncomfortable. Such is why Byron Donalds has been able to move forward. Donalds is no spectacuar intellectual giant. But he gained great favor with Republicans when he repeated that tired black family and LBJ nonsense. He can't say that the white backlash since the Civil Rights Movement has been the probem because if he does that, he will lose any chance at a potential presidential run in 2028. And look what happened to Candace Owens when she decided to say something about white Jews.

The G.O.P. prizes Black Republicans — as long as they don’t alienate white members​

As the entire nation grapples with issues relating to race and racial inequality, all kinds of organizations—from churches to businesses to neighborhood associations—are trying to demonstrate their commitment to racial diversity in a way that does not alienate white stakeholders. The Republican Party is no exception, and, in fact, it has long struggled to project an openness to diversity. But presenting a diverse coalition of support has particular resonance in the wake of the Trump administration.

The public representation of Black Republicans has certainly shifted under Mr. Trump’s leadership of the party. The social media personalities Diamond and Silk replaced Michael Steele, the Catholic former chair of the Republican National Committee. Former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke was more relevant than General Colin Powell. Candace Owens supplanted Condoleezza Rice. Internet celebrities have taken the place of the legislators, military leaders and judges who used to stand as the “face” of Black Republicans.

The Black Republicans in my study often complained that concerns about their racial identity resulted in a skeptical embrace from their white Republican counterparts. They reported that white Republicans were eager to have Black representation in the G.O.P., but this eagerness came with a concern that Black racial identity would take precedence over partisanship. As a consequence, they felt they had to constantly prove their conservative bona fides, especially with respect to policies perceived as especially benefiting Black people.

Accordingly, the way that Black Republicans talked about race was critical in establishing their legitimacy with other Republicans. Invoking racism or discrimination as an explanation for racial inequality, they told me, was verboten because that was inconsistent with party rhetoric. Across the nation, I heard that white skepticism within the G.O.P. not only shaped how Black Republicans got to talk about their own racial identity but also structured how they framed conservative policies in relation to Black people.

Black Republicans also told me that their opportunities for advancement in the G.O.P. depended on sticking to the party’s dominant rhetoric on race. When the Republican Party embraces white grievance, articulates anti-Black policies and raises anti-Black voices, Black Republicans are less able to talk about Republican policies in ways that will uplift Black people. The Black Republicans who articulate ideas consistent with white grievance, or who work to undermine claims of racism, are given broad platforms within the party, even when those ideas are not particularly resonant with Black audiences.

This race-blind messaging is not necessarily representative of what all Black Republicans think, but it is what the primarily white leadership of Republican organizations wants to hear.

Well sure bub. We would not want a black, racist commie like you as a member. Doesn't that make a smidgeon of sense to you?

I would not want to be a filthy commie dem. Do you think the reps should have lots of black, racist commies in their base?

corn.jpg

I voted for the man who wasn't charged by the DOJ for racial discrimination in housing.
/——/ White Liberal NY democRATs wanted to live in segregated buildings. NYC was run by democRATs. It was Trump along with every other landlord who was sure. DJT opened his golf course to Blacks.
Get your facts straight.

/——/ White Liberal NY democRATs wanted to live in segregated buildings. NYC was run by democRATs. It was Trump along with every other landlord who was sure. DJT opened his golf course to Blacks.
Get your facts straight.
Bullshit.

We blacks who are sane, will never be part of a party that sees any positives in any part of Jim Crow.

Bullshit.
/——-/ I lived in NY in the 1970s. I was there, were you?
A look back at post-WWII New York City reveals the collusion of the dominant institutions of U.S society that made a concerted effort to keep African Americans both separate and unequal.

/——-/ I lived in NY in the 1970s. I was there, were you?
A look back at post-WWII New York City reveals the collusion of the dominant institutions of U.S society that made a concerted effort to keep African Americans both separate and unequal.
Bah, blah, blah. There was no excuse for what Trump did. I don't need your ink to know what America did. Your link shows why reparations are in order.

Forum List

Back