If I or a Non-American uses the American flag is it flattering or wrong and disrespectful?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
el cigala
Someone attacked me for using the american banner on Apricity, because im not American

I replied:
I feel affinity with the US, its values, and cultures. Thats why i use it. I feel a bit american, even if im not. I dont think this is forbidden.

I mean discussion is now and question whether its valid if i feel like a american eventhough im not, to use or its disrespectful and aproppriation? On one hand if you are a man you can be a woman if you feel so but if you are white you cant be black or it would be cultural aproppriation and racist. So what is my situation rather like?

Someone attacked me for using the american banner on Apricity, because im not American
I replied: I feel affinity with the US, its values, and cultures. Thats why i use it. I feel a bit american, even if im not. I dont think this is forbidden.
I mean discussion is now and question whether its valid if i feel like a american eventhough im not, to use or its disrespectful and aproppriation?

Feel free to use it. We have more to spare. It is no one's business what banner you like but you.
For the past few years, we have had people everywhere waving the Ukrainian and Palestinian flags just because they support the cause.

Just be respectful in its use. I wouldnt disrespect anyones flag even N Korea or Iran. I considered buying a Ukranian flag to show my support for their fight but decided.against it.

Not a problem at all. One of my American neighbors has a Jewish flag waiving to show support for our allies in Israel. On Columbus Day, the Italian flag will be displayed throughout America as we salute the Italian people.

No problem at all with foreign people displaying the American flag.

Forum List

Back