The huge dockworker strike. Here's what these unskilled laborers are demanding.

Pretty good pay for work a trained monkey can do.

To be sure, while I don't know all the jobs and work involved on a dock, the guys high up overhead on the big gantry cranes who lift the containers out of ships and stack them on the dock is a VERY highly skilled job of amazing skill, so, I bet you couldn't do it if your pants were on fire. You have to have literal SPOT-ON accuracy or very bad things happen, and you have to be QUICK about it too.

That said, I can see how computer automation could easily replace these guys.

But then, you can probably build a computer to do nearly every job! So let's replace all humans with robots and the only work left for people to do would be building and fixing machines, right? :cuckoo:

That is what they are striking for as well. NO Automation. I worked with the IBEW in the bay area at one time and got written up when the steward heard my ratchet wrench. I was written up for using a "speed wrench" instead of a combo because it was faster. SMH. Unions are well beyond their expiration date.

I doubt they will ever win the automation bid in a contract. I mean, there is an entire industry of engineers just drooling at the chance to design automated machinery for most everything now. Automation in food-processing, automation in car making, automation in steel production, it is only inevitable that they will automate ship loading and unloading, and, not only is this an essential right of a business to control its bottom line to improve its productivity, but this strike will almost certainly ACCELERATE their desire and need to automate things sooner after losing so much money over this strike.

Probably what these guys really ought to be doing is to start looking for jobs in other fields and just smell that the bloom is off the rose.

I've been 'sneered' at my entire career as a blue collar Admiral

I've turned it around to a $$$ in my pocket, doing my best Forest Gump as i do.....
View attachment 1021144

~S~
I was not addressing you, but the other poster's constant disrespect of those who don't get $75 an hour for their consulting job. Thanks for your input!

That is what they are striking for as well. NO Automation. I worked with the IBEW in the bay area at one time and got written up when the steward heard my ratchet wrench. I was written up for using a "speed wrench" instead of a combo because it was faster. SMH. Unions are well beyond their expiration date.
Their position is a loser. Automation is coming simply because it is far more efficient. What they should be negotiating for is training in maintaining the automated machinery. The simple fact is, EVERYTHING will be automated within the next 20 years. So, they either learn how to live with it, by adapting, or they cease to exist.

Operating multi-million-dollar container handling equipment is hardly a job for unskilled workers. Go climb up on one of those massive Crains. See if you can get it started without killing everybody close by, and then come back and talk about unskilled labor.
They are striking for less automation.

I doubt they will ever win the automation bid in a contract. I mean, there is an entire industry of engineers just drooling at the chance to design automated machinery for most everything now. Automation in food-processing, automation in car making, automation in steel production, it is only inevitable that they will automate ship loading and unloading, and, not only is this an essential right of a business to control its bottom line to improve its productivity, but this strike will almost certainly ACCELERATE their desire and need to automate things sooner after losing so much money over this strike.

Probably what these guys really ought to be doing is to start looking for jobs in other fields and just smell that the bloom is off the rose.
I retired from a 33 year career in industrial maintenance, manufacture, design. I have been watching the trend for A LONG TIME. It is inevitable and the more these employees clamor for more wages the harder industry will work to automate. McD's with their order kiosks is a fine example. Robotics is real and in wide use already in industry.

crippler Harold Daggett 3.jpg

Forum List

Back