Experts warn store prices will soar and shelves will be empty as greedy dockworkers strike over 80% pay raise

they are demanding that their pay is nearly doubled !! the union has turned down a generous pay raise offer !
The west coast longshoremen got a 32% increase in their last contract negotiations, and did not strike.

$39/hr for the top scale on the east coast is not really that great. If the reporting that they are demanding another $4 is accurate, I think that's reasonable. That's still less than a Boeing machinist earns.

The demand for no automation is a loser though. You just can't stop that. Automating the ports increases throughput, period. If they block that, at come point new facilities will be built by the shippers that use the newer technology. It's just a fact of life.

The west coast longshoremen got a 32% increase in their last contract negotiations, and did not strike.

$39/hr for the top scale on the east coast is not really that great. If the reporting that they are demanding another $4 is accurate, I think that's reasonable. That's still less than a Boeing machinist earns.

The demand for no automation is a loser though. You just can't stop that. Automating the ports increases throughput, period. If they block that, at come point new facilities will be built by the shippers that use the newer technology. It's just a fact of life.
they are demanding a near double increase in pay over the coming yrs .

God you sure hope the shit hits the fan huh? October Surprise?

But don't forget how Trump handled his crisis. He ignored covid like it was the dinner check.
They're doing this now because they know President Potato Head won't do shit about their strike! Think about what their demands are! At the same time they're saying "don't you dare replace us with automation!" they're demanding a 70% raise! I've got news for you, boys. Holding the nation hostage like this isn't the way to keep automation from happening. What it's going to do is make it quite clear that we NEED automation and the sooner the better!

Israel is bombing Gaza as we speak because Hamas terrorized them. Trump will not put pressure on Israel to stop the bloodshed. Republicans have publicly said make it a parking lot. At least Biden tells Bibi he's not happy with what he's doing. Now Iran's involved.

Is Biden at fault for that hamas terrorist attack at the concert?
Absolutely. He freed up the money for Iran to supply Hamas with the funding to carry it out.

Now, how does it feel to be informed for the first time in your life?

I'm not disagreeing with you on the production aspect.

But who is going to fire all of those people? Reagan fired the air traffic controllers en masse, but they were federal workers. As long as non-federal union workers are keeping the picket line moving, they cannot be fired.
First amendment right to assemble.
They also conducted an illegal strike.

they are demanding a near double increase in pay over the coming yrs .
It sounds like the union is asking for an increase of $5/hr per year for 6 years, the shippers offered $3, and the union president hinted they would agree to $4.

I think the major sticking point is automation.

All the hub blub over people making g $39 per hour, which isn't a high wage.
Please send me your address at the home. I'd like to send you a "Get Well" card as you recover from your delusional state.

That's $300 a day! I could have paid off my mortgage payment after 3 day's work. My current car payment in 2 days. What the heck are they spending all of that money on for unskilled labor?

And today the Air Traffic Controller's union is more powerful than ever. Controllers work an hour on and an hour off, make more than a Congressman, and retire at 56...
it is a highly stressful, highly skilled position that takes extensive training to accomplish. That is why they earn their pay, not bolting down containers to a truck trailer for 6-figure base pays.

How many thousands of people's lives depend on that ATC never f-ing up!

it is a highly stressful, highly skilled position that takes extensive training to accomplish. That is why they earn their pay, not bolting down containers to a truck trailer for 6-figure base pays.

How many thousands of people's lives depend on that ATC never f-ing up!
My brother was a controller (now retired). He hired on when Reagan fired the controllers. I've spent some time in Denver Center and Seattle Center and know the system.

He describes it as a hard job to learn and an easy job to do. I think that is pretty accurate.

Air traffic safety is not about super-smart people never fucking up. It's about a process that catches problems and deals with them before they become a disaster. For example- the moment separation is lost, the alarms go off and a controller is assigned to the problem aircraft. He only deals with that one airplane, and his only job is to get that plane routed back into shape. So mid-air collisions almost never happen. When they do, it's almost always aircraft that are not under ATC control.

Quality is always about process, not about people. People make mistakes- that is unavoidable. Good process recognizes that reality and accounts for it.

Forum List

Back