🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

If language shapes thought, then what of bilinguals?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Multilingualism: Johnson: Do different languages confer different personalities? | The Economist

"LAST week, Johnson took a look at some of the advantages of bilingualism. These include better performance at tasks involving "executive function" (which involve the brain's ability to plan and prioritise), better defence against dementia in old age and—the obvious—the ability to speak a second language. One purported advantage was not mentioned, though. Many multilinguals report different personalities, or even different worldviews, when they speak their different languages.

It’s an exciting notion, the idea that one’s very self could be broadened by the mastery of two or more languages. In obvious ways (exposure to new friends, literature and so forth) the self really is broadened. Yet it is different to claim—as many people do—to have a different personality when using a different language. A former Economist colleague, for example, reported being ruder in Hebrew than in English. So what is going on here?"

What is going on? Anyone have any personal experiences to share?

Tucson had a large Mexican and Native American population and influence. Its not at all unusual to hear people kids using two and even three languages in one sentence. Its fascinating to hear little tiny kids speak in multiple languages.

I volunteered in my g-kids classes for several years and there is a difference in how multi-language users see their world. Where we would see differences would be in computer labs. Its not that white kids are not smart, as smart as or not as smart as. And, an important variable is that white kids were more likely to have computers as home.

And yet, the kids who started kindergarten already speaking more than one language had an easier time with learning the "language" of computers.

I just hate the idiocy of "English only". Every other civilized country teaches their kids more than one language so that they are ready to compete on the world stage. We discourage learning a second language. Its another factor in the rw race to the bottom.

I grew up in Southern California and was around Spanish, although I never spoke it and took a lot of things for granted.

I was most fortunate to attend the Defense Language Institute to spend six months learning German and immersing myself in the culture and history of the country. When I reached the point of dreaming in German, I felt I'd crossed the barrier. After that, I spent three years in Wuerzberg, Germany and another three in Vienna, Austria. When in an American environment, I looked at things one way - when in the German/Austrian, I saw things differently.

Then, 24 years ago I met my wife and entered into a relationship where Spanish and Mexican culture play an important part in my life. I am certain that I see a lot of things quite differently from "average" Americans.

When in an American environment, I looked at things one way - when in the German/Austrian, I saw things differently..

How so, exactly?

Wow! What a tough question to answer.

Germans have a culture with strict rules based upon their historical beings. Americans are frowned upon as we seem to be prone to breaking such rules. Therefore, when engaging Germans on a personal level, I had to feel and act as they did.

Austria was easier as they are far less strict than their German cousins - I think they have more of an Italian outlook on things. I could almost be a bit more American with them.

When in an American environment, I looked at things one way - when in the German/Austrian, I saw things differently..

How so, exactly?

Wow! What a tough question to answer.

Germans have a culture with strict rules based upon their historical beings. Americans are frowned upon as we seem to be prone to breaking such rules. Therefore, when engaging Germans on a personal level, I had to feel and act as they did.

Austria was easier as they are far less strict than their German cousins - I think they have more of an Italian outlook on things. I could almost be a bit more American with them.

Sounds like you were adapting your behavior to the culture in which you found yourself, not seeing the world differently because of language.

Forum List

Back