If Trump is impeached, why can’t the Senate trial start now?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Noah Feldman: If Trump's impeached, then why can't a Senate trial start now?

Trump has not been impeached, sorry libs.

“Call me old fashioned or naive, but I think my job is to explain what the U.S. Constitution actually means, no matter who likes it or doesn't. That led me to explain recently that under the Constitution as it was understood by the framers and as it still should be understood today, impeachment isn't complete when the House of Representatives votes to impeach.

Constitutionally, impeachment becomes official when the House sends word of that impeachment to the Senate, triggering a Senate trial.”

“Call me old fashioned or naive, but I think my job is to explain what the U.S. Constitution actually means, no matter who likes it or doesn't. That led me to explain recently that under the Constitution as it was understood by the framers and as it still should be understood today, impeachment isn't complete when the House of Representatives votes to impeach.

Constitutionally, impeachment becomes official when the House sends word of that impeachment to the Senate, triggering a Senate trial.”

Same reason a judge cannot start a trial as soon as the indictment is done. That is not how it works.

You keep trying to hard to pretend it did not happen, but it did. It is really not a big deal though, just let it go.

Same reason a judge cannot start a trial as soon as the indictment is done. That is not how it works.

You keep trying to hard to pretend it did not happen, but it did. It is really not a big deal though, just let it go.

Do you think Cruella will send the articles to the Senate?

Do you think Cruella will send the articles to the Senate?

Of course she will. She will do it when she is good and ready and thinks it will get the most press time. It would be terrible idea to do it over the holidays

Constitutionally ?where exactly does it say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that is your job? What idiot hired you to do that, cause you suck at your job.

That led me to explain recently that under the Constitution as it was understood by the framers and as it still should be understood today

Might wanna start then with the post immediately following your OP. Dood's clueless.

And speaking of the OP, nice strawman you got there. Would be a shame if something were to, y'know
----- "happen to" it. :Boom2:

Moscow Mitch is still trying to avoid having one.

It's apparently an uphill battle.

Why?

Because he isn't allowing the House to rule the Senate?

Moscow Mitch has used and misused every technicality and loophole he could find to further his political goals. Seems kinda childish and hypocritical for the right to whine about their opponent using the same tactics.

Why?

Because Mcconnel will violate his oath of office.
(rigged trial).
Every senator has constitutional obligation to be impartial.
rcsiykrspm741.jpg

Why?

No, because holding a trial would be a political disaster for the republican party.

The matter is moot til Nancy sends the paperwork to the Senate.

So far, she's seemingly holding them up because Mitch won't male the rules SHE wants.

It is NOT up to her, it is NOT up to minority Leader Schumer.

and, no matter WHAT the rules are eventually, the Democrats are going to need a minimum of 20 Republicans to vote to remove.

Do you see that happening?

Moscow Mi
rcsiykrspm741.jpg
tch is still trying to avoid having one.

Why?

Because Mcconnel will violate his oath of office.
(rigged trial).

How many Democrat senators do you think haven't already made up their minds?

How many Democrats in the House do you think were 'Impartial'?

Why?

No, because holding a trial would be a political disaster for the republican party.

The matter is moot til Nancy sends the paperwork to the Senate.

So far, she's seemingly holding them up because Mitch won't male the rules SHE wants.

It is NOT up to her, it is NOT up to minority Leader Schumer.

and, no matter WHAT the rules are eventually, the Democrats are going to need a minimum of 20 Republicans to vote to remove.

Do you see that happening?

i see Pelosi putting pressure on Moscow Mitch to promise a fair trial, and I see the fallout for the Trump supporters if he refuses to give a fair trial. Without a fair trial, Trump can't be exonerated.

No matter how much BS that is coming out of all this, I don't think either side in Congress really wants it to go to the full Senate. It's going to cost both the Reps and the Dems dearly. It's going to be a complete tossup and be very messy. Rump is dead in the water either way. And here is why.

If it doesn't get forwarded to the Senate, more information is going to keep coming in and be even more damning for Rump. But it gets the Senate Reps off the hook. They get to keep posturing even though they don't want that football in their court. Next year is election year. And when the Dems get down to one Candidate, He or She is going to have a miriad of ammunition that Rump has no answer to. But the Rep Representatives and Senators gets' to keep the support of the Rump Supporters so they can get reelected. There will be losses in the Senate for the Reps in the Senate and losses for the Dems in the House but both will still keep control of both houses like it is but it's going to be a bit tighter. No more slam dunks so that's a good thing. It's a win, win for all of them.

If the Impeachment goes forward to the Senate, Moscow Mitch can elect to file it in the deep dark recesses of his desk like he has many other things. But that's pretty much suicide for his career. Even though his career is toast as it is, he still thinks he has a chance to be reelected and stay Senate Majority Leader. Even if he's reelected, I don't believe that Rump will be a factor anymore and without Rump, Moscow Mitch will not stay Senate Majority Leader. There are some Republican Senators starting to speak out even now about many things. So Rump stays President but it's the same as if the articles were held by the House and not sent to the Senate.

Okay, now we get creative. Let's say the Articles are sent to the Senate and Moscow Mitch allows it to go to the full Senate Floor. Katy Bar the Door. Let's start out by saying, Rump will probably NOT be removed from office. But things get to be extremely messy at this point for the Republicans in both the House and the Senate. The Hearing is very formal. Only the information pertinent to the subject is allowed. Sorry, no Bidens, No Hillary, No Obama. Not even a mention of them. And if the Reps try and force that in, Chief Justice Roberts will have no choice but to hold that person in contempt and have them removed (at best). The list of witnesses will be introduced by both sides by the Senators but only those witnesses that pertain to the articles. I have no idea whom the Reps will include. They have been too busy with the "Hey, look over there" routine and that won't be allowed. But I already know the list of witnesses that the Dems will include and the biggest one will be Rudy. And if the Chief Justice will allow it, then Rudy will have ZERO option but to comply. If the Chief Justice deems it necessary, he has the support of the Supreme Court so that gets around more than 2 years of legal haggling. While Rudy cannot initially be made to talk about his dealings with and for Rump, he can be force to talk about his other dealings including with the other staff members and Ukrainian Government Officials along with allocation of funds. If anything is found amiss, the client attorney privilege is waived. Now, I won't go any further with this scenario but let's suffice to say, it's a friggin nightmare for everyone connected to it including all Dems and Reps equally. And Rump is still in office and still toast in Nove 2020. This is a nightmare for America. One that no one in the House or the Senate want's played out. The only two people that want it played out is Rump and Rudy who could give a rats ass about what's good for America or not.

Rump won't be removed from office until Jan 2021. But how he leaves is up for debate. Let's hope it's the first one and not the other two. It would be for the good of the nation if Rump were to go with a 4th option like Nixon did but that's just not in the cards.

Forum List

Back