If you live in the Northeast and walk in the woods.............

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Be CAREFUL!

I grew up in the mountains of Montana, and spent quite a bit of time in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. and one of the things we ALWAYS did during the summer was frequent tick checks to make sure they didn't dig in and possibly give you Lyme disease.

Well..............just heard on the nightly news that there is a rare tick born virus that seems to be spreading in the Northeast states, and it's called Powassan virus. It was first reported in the 50's, but the tick that originally carried it rarely bit people. Now? It seems that the virus has jumped to the deer tick (most common, and usually carries Lyme disease), and it causes death in 10 percent of the people infected, and in 50 percent of the people that live, they end up with some form of nerve damage.

And, it's faster than Lyme disease, so be careful out there and check yourself often.

Worse than Lyme disease: Severe tick-born virus has experts worried about possible spread

Be CAREFUL!

I grew up in the mountains of Montana, and spent quite a bit of time in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. and one of the things we ALWAYS did during the summer was frequent tick checks to make sure they didn't dig in and possibly give you Lyme disease.

Well..............just heard on the nightly news that there is a rare tick born virus that seems to be spreading in the Northeast states, and it's called Powassan virus. It was first reported in the 50's, but the tick that originally carried it rarely bit people. Now? It seems that the virus has jumped to the deer tick (most common, and usually carries Lyme disease), and it causes death in 10 percent of the people infected, and in 50 percent of the people that live, they end up with some form of nerve damage.

And, it's faster than Lyme disease, so be careful out there and check yourself often.

Worse than Lyme disease: Severe tick-born virus has experts worried about possible spread

The word is "borne", not "born".

borne
(bôrn)
v.
A past participle of bear1.
adj.
1. Carried or transported by. Often used in combination: current-borne plankton.
2. Transmitted by. Often used in combination: mosquito-borne diseases.

Or worse, you might meet up with a really angry Mrs. Clinton... :2up:

Do you have to politicize everything? I posted this as a warning for my fellow outdoors people who like to run around in the woods, not some political b.s.

And, if you know anything about ticks and the way they operate, you would know that this is a valid warning. Especially when it kills 10 percent of those infected, and 50 percent of the people who live end up with permanent nerve damage.

Oh yeah....................doctors also say there is no cure. The only thing they can do for you is to treat the symptoms and hope you live.

Be CAREFUL!

"The majority of cases are in Minnesota, New York, and Wisconsin, according to CDC data."

Shit... I live in WI, and love being outside. Haven't heard anything about this on the local news.

Be CAREFUL!

"The majority of cases are in Minnesota, New York, and Wisconsin, according to CDC data."

Shit... I live in WI, and love being outside. Haven't heard anything about this on the local news.

One of the reasons I posted it here. Shocked the crap outta me when I heard the story on the nightly news this evening. Scariest thing is that there is no cure, and all the doctors can do for you is treat your symptoms and hope you don't die.

Lyme disease scared me bad enough, and there IS a cure for that one.

Be CAREFUL!

Thanks I have lots of relatives in WI, I'll pass the word...

Be CAREFUL!

One of the reasons I posted it here. Shocked the crap outta me when I heard the story on the nightly news this evening. Scariest thing is that there is no cure, and all the doctors can do for you is treat your symptoms and hope you don't die.

I've had Lyme disease. Had the ring around the bite, hadn't even been out in the woods. Got a shot for it and that was it. This new stuff sounds pretty bad. I have a little over an acre of land half of which is woods. I mow around the edges of it along the road and brush trees as I go just to mow near them. I might quit doing that now. That's a good way to get a tick on you.

Be CAREFUL!

I always tic check my girl.

Be CAREFUL!

I've had Lyme disease. Had the ring around the bite, hadn't even been out in the woods. Got a shot for it and that was it. This new stuff sounds pretty bad. I have a little over an acre of land half of which is woods. I mow around the edges of it along the road and brush trees as I go just to mow near them. I might quit doing that now. That's a good way to get a tick on you.

You know, up until now, we didn't really need to worry much about it, because the ticks that carried it originally don't usually bite humans.

However............now that it has jumped vectors and the deer tick is now a host, it can be really bad, because deer ticks will feed on ANYTHING. Humans, dogs, cats, deer, birds, you name it, they will chomp on it.

I wonder if it will keep spreading due to animals migrating from area to area?

Or worse, you might meet up with a really angry Mrs. Clinton... :2up:

That doesn't even make any sense.
Wtf is wrong with you?

Some dipshits are so partisan that they have to politicize everything, even when it's a friendly warning to other people to try to keep them safe.

Sad, ain't it?

Pathetic.

The alert is much appreciated -- I'm in an area dense with both woods and deer, although somewhat south of the identified area. But we had virtually no winter this past season, which means ticks and fleas will have survived in bunches. Already picked one off my neighbor's white dog. But I have a black cat so I'll have to be vigilant.

Well, you know Pogo, when I see something on the news that I think others should know about, I like to start threads on it.

This one seemed to be particularly important, especially when you consider there is no cure.

Forum List

Back