If You Say You're Not A Surveillance Company, You Really Are A Surveillance Company

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
President Candidate Wannabe Sheryl Sandberg has proclaimed that Facebook is not a surveillance company. That's about as credible as Google's abandoned motto "don't be evil".

Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, believes Facebook is a surveillance operation. Facebook’s chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg begs to differ.

Facebook has apologized for user data being misused. But is it a friendly social network or, as the NSA whistleblower contends, a data-mining service for advertisers? Sandberg said it’s the former. Speaking on NBC’s CMCSA, -1.39%“Today” show, Sandberg told interviewer Savannah Guthrie, “I don’t think that’s true and I don’t think that’s fair. Facebook at its core is a sharing service. We are not sweeping up data. People are inputting data. People are sharing data with Facebook.”

Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg says the company is not a surveillance operation

If you put info online anywhere it is there for any to snag up. Pretty simple really. If you want to keep things private don't share it anywhere online.

Facebook has apologized for user data being misused. But is it a friendly social network or, as the NSA whistleblower contends, a data-mining service for advertisers?

It's both. They're not mutually exclusive. The former is the carrot to hold out to gain users, and the latter is the underlying motivation. Just as television is "home entertainment" and simultaneously a mind-numbing propaganda machine designed to sell zombies shit they don't need. Both are true, depending on from which end you're looking.

BTW the new name is "Fecesbook".

Facebook has apologized for user data being misused. But is it a friendly social network or, as the NSA whistleblower contends, a data-mining service for advertisers?

It's both. They're not mutually exclusive. The former is the carrot to hold out to gain users, and the latter is the underlying motivation. Just as television is "home entertainment" and simultaneously a mind-numbing propaganda machine designed to sell zombies shit they don't need. Both are true, depending on from which end you're looking.

BTW the new name is "Fecesbook".

God bless FB and FB stock
Good gardens do require a certain amount of 'feces' or rotting waste to grow but too much and the ground gets too hot and it won't grow diddly squat.

If You Say You're Not A Surveillance Company, You Really Are A Surveillance Company
I see. Well, that's a good trick to know about....The way to be something one wants to be is to say that one is not that something. Yes, I can see how that works...NOT!

If you put info online anywhere it is there for any to snag up. Pretty simple really. If you want to keep things private don't share it anywhere online.

Eric Schmidt?

Faceborg takes info that people don't agree to share. The latest revelation about them trying to access PHI is beyond the pale.

Forum List

Back