If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor

I wouldn't mind that. Sell all my possessions, donate the proceeds to the poor, hook up the camper to the Jeep - and hit the road.

That's pretty much where I see my life headed any way, and it doesn't bother me a bit. My kids are all on a solid road to success. Nothing could make me happier, nor wealthier.

I wouldn't mind that. Sell all my possessions, donate the proceeds to the poor, hook up the camper to the Jeep - and hit the road.

That's pretty much where I see my life headed any way, and it doesn't bother me a bit. My kids are all on a solid road to success. Nothing could make me happier, nor wealthier.

I could totally deal with it. I could live in a tent for that matter. I love the woods. Love camping. I don't mind camping in freezing weather either. I'd have to convince my other half. Doubtful that is happening.

Last edited:
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Who said that? Do you know?

Many people. I don't know who said it first.

Edit to add:

Looks like it's generally attributed to Voltaire. From wikipedia:

The phrase is commonly attributed to Voltaire whose moral poem, La Bégueule, starts[1]

“ Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

(In his writings, a wise Italian
says that the best is the enemy of the good)
”

Last edited:

I could totally deal with it. I could live in a tent for that matter. I love the woods. Love camping. I don't mind camping in freezing weather either. I'd have to convince my other half. Doubtful that is happening.

LOL funny you should say that. When we moved to the city some years ago, we narrowed our housing choices to two properties. One of which backed a wooded ravine and creek. The other, in a fairly crowded neighborhood.

Daughter and I favored the latter. Mrs. H., anti-social nature-girl, loved the home with the back-door nature.

So I made her a deal. I said "once the daughter is out of college, we'll move to a Reservation and live in a teepee".

She may hold me to that. And that's fine with me. :thup:

I'm going to die broke and destitute. And that's exactly how I want it.

For in nothing, I will have everything.

When Christ made this statement He was talking to a man who was rich and thought he could "work" his way into Heaven. Christ knew that the man loved his possessions more than Him; thus, the bold statement. The rich man was unwilling to comply.

So, instead of trying to find fault in what Christ said it's better see the wisdom in the lesson.

At least Christ gave the man an option. Under Obama we're all forced to give everything we have.

Yeah, cuz with Obama's edicts, when you disobey you get punished somewhere down the road.

Then again, I feel like disobeying Christ carries similar implications.

Hell, anyone?

In all fairness, there's just as much brimstone behind Christian morals as there is behind Leftist morals.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Who said that? Do you know?

Many people. I don't know who said it first.

Edit to add:

Looks like it's generally attributed to Voltaire. From wikipedia:

The phrase is commonly attributed to Voltaire whose moral poem, La Bégueule, starts[1]

“ Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

(In his writings, a wise Italian
says that the best is the enemy of the good)
”

That explains it! Voltaire was an atheist. I have a mentor who used to quote Voltaire alot. I thought it sounded familiar. The update is he quotes someone else now! :eusa_angel:
Hanging out with a Believer is like walking around a slippery bank surrounding the deep waters. Eventually you're going to slide in! The outcome is inevitable given enough time.

LOL funny you should say that. When we moved to the city some years ago, we narrowed our housing choices to two properties. One of which backed a wooded ravine and creek. The other, in a fairly crowded neighborhood.

Daughter and I favored the latter. Mrs. H., anti-social nature-girl, loved the home with the back-door nature.

So I made her a deal. I said "once the daughter is out of college, we'll move to a Reservation and live in a teepee".

She may hold me to that. And that's fine with me. :thup:

You never know what the future holds! It could be a real adventure!

It is a bold statement, to a rich man who asked what he needed to do.

it was not a general commandment though. It's what the rich man needed to do. If Christ asks the rest of us to do so as well, we will need to do it. But until then it's about as applicable to the rest of us as the command to Noah to build the ark or the command to Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.

Let us instead be willing to follow the commands the Lord has given to us and if He asks for that, let us be prepared to do it. If He asks for something else, let us do that instead. We should be free with our property to the furthering of the work.

I can't help but see the Irony.

Americans today hate Muslims but support profit over humanity.

Yet Aaron created the Golden Calf when Moses was gone talking to GOD.

For those who don't know, Muslim is the Religion of profit and Christianity is the religion of good will.

"I can do it" is broken in diets. Christianity is more than diets.

You go first, sweetie.

Yep, non-Christians used to self-righteously tell me to "sell your possessions and give to the poor". The only problem was, I was poor and didn't have anything to sell.

They never appreciated the irony of it.

That's crazy weird how Poor Territories are more flooded with Christians!

When Christ made this statement He was talking to a man who was rich and thought he could "work" his way into Heaven. Christ knew that the man loved his possessions more than Him; thus, the bold statement. The rich man was unwilling to comply.

So, instead of trying to find fault in what Christ said it's better see the wisdom in the lesson.

At least Christ gave the man an option. Under Obama we're all forced to give everything we have.

Yeah, cuz with Obama's edicts, when you disobey you get punished somewhere down the road.

Then again, I feel like disobeying Christ carries similar implications.

Hell, anyone?

In all fairness, there's just as much brimstone behind Christian morals as there is behind Leftist morals.

Clearly Obama's "edics" are things like hydration which most Americans don't get. Mostly the drunks that can't spell ethics.

HOW DARE THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION tell people to drink more water. They are out of control. All good advice is out of control, right?

Hubby and I have decided that if it comes to that with the owner of this house asking us for it back, then we plan to buy a small RV or van, get a tent, a hibachi, ice chest, pile the dogs and cat in the back and take off. With a laptop and a small generator for a small tv so we can watch dvds now and then or play pogo games on the laptop. Can't afford rents here and I am sick of roommates.

PMH gets my nomination for Worst Noob of 2014.

He's remarkably unread, that's for sure. Thinking you're a Christian certainly demonstrates he doesn't think much either.

Hubby and I have decided that if it comes to that with the owner of this house asking us for it back, then we plan to buy a small RV or van, get a tent, a hibachi, ice chest, pile the dogs and cat in the back and take off. With a laptop and a small generator for a small tv so we can watch dvds now and then or play pogo games on the laptop. Can't afford rents here and I am sick of roommates.

Sorry.

The Bible isn't "If it comes to that"

The Bible directly states to give your money to he poor and follow Christ.......It's never been an "If it comes to that" statement.

PMH gets my nomination for Worst Noob of 2014.

He's remarkably unread, that's for sure. Thinking you're a Christian certainly demonstrates he doesn't think much either.

Who is PMH kiddo. I'm guessing you don't know but want to de-rail the conversation at all costs.

I doubt anyone THINKS they are a Christian if they are in doubt. It requires Faith.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back