"I'm Just a Middle-Aged House Dad Addicted to Pot"

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I hear all the time that pot isn't addictive. Is it denial ?

Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal. But marijuana addiction exists, and it almost wrecked my life.

AUSTIN, Tex. — My name is Neal, and I’m a marijuana addict.

A year ago I wouldn’t have said that, because it would have meant giving up marijuana. I would rather have given up breathing.

When I had my first cup of coffee in the morning, I pressed the little button on my vape pen, waited for the blue glow, took a huge inhale and then blew it into the mug so that I could suck in the THC and caffeine at the same time. Then I took another hit, and another. In the afternoons, I’d smoke a bowl, or pop a gummy bear, or both. At night, I got high before eating dinner or watching the ballgame. Maybe I’d stop getting stoned a little bit before bed, but what was the point? If I went to bed high, I could wake up high, too.

What a time for people to get stoned! Marijuana has left the counterculture, exploded into the mainstream and transformed into a multibillion-dollar industry. Cannabis is now an essential part of any hip wellness and beauty regimen. Netflix offers a marijuana-themed cooking show.

Cannabis should be legal. It has medical uses. Millions of people, most of them black and Latino men, have unjustly gone to jail for selling what should have been easily available in stores. States with the political courage to legalize it have seen their tax rolls bloom and have created thousands of jobs. Also, it’s delicious.

Opinion | I'm Just a Middle-Aged House Dad Addicted to Pot

Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal. But marijuana addiction exists, and it almost wrecked my life.

A year ago I wouldn’t have said that, because it would have meant giving up marijuana. I would rather have given up breathing.

When I had my first cup of coffee in the morning, I pressed the little button on my vape pen, waited for the blue glow, took a huge inhale and then blew it into the mug so that I could suck in the THC and caffeine at the same time. Then I took another hit, and another. In the afternoons, I’d smoke a bowl, or pop a gummy bear, or both. At night, I got high before eating dinner or watching the ballgame. Maybe I’d stop getting stoned a little bit before bed, but what was the point? If I went to bed high, I could wake up high, too.

What a time for people to get stoned! Marijuana has left the counterculture, exploded into the mainstream and transformed into a multibillion-dollar industry. Cannabis is now an essential part of any hip wellness and beauty regimen. Netflix offers a marijuana-themed cooking show.

Cannabis should be legal. It has medical uses. Millions of people, most of them black and Latino men, have unjustly gone to jail for selling what should have been easily available in stores. States with the political courage to legalize it have seen their tax rolls bloom and have created thousands of jobs. Also, it’s delicious.

No, it does not exist. Actual addiction brings physical consequences upon withdrawal. Alcohol addiction for example if interrupted can spur delirium tremens. Sugar addiction interruption can throw off the body's glucose balancing and lead to hypoglycemia or diabetes. A steady input of caffeine suddenly interrupted can produce headaches. Cannabis interruption spurs nothing.

Just because some clown misuses the word "addiction" that doesn't give him a peer-reviewed study. It's not "denial" it's more like a "crutch". "Poor me, it's not my fault, the addiction controls me and I can't do anything about it" kind of thing.

When I quit smoking (tobacco) 35 years ago my best psychological inspiration came from a friend who declared, correctly, "it's not an addiction --- it's a habit". That's a dramatic contrast, because a habit is something one can control, turn on or off. An "addiction" is an outside force.

Another sideshow issue. Aside from the question of whether ever greater public inebriation is a laudable goal, pot poses unique threats to children because of its pernicious availability, whether by second hand inhalation or its ingestion through food sources (including cookies/candy).

Of course you pot proponents won't touch this issue with a ten foot bong...

I Suggest that if you are smoking the stuff you get a lung test. You might have the beginning of COPD and can still be helped. This is unless you want to be tied to a tank of Ox, and a plastic hose up your nose. My Bro has to live like that 24/7 and will die in his sleep.

No, it does not exist. Actual addiction brings physical consequences upon withdrawal. Alcohol addiction for example if interrupted can spur delirium tremens. Sugar addiction interruption can throw off the body's glucose balancing and lead to hypoglycemia or diabetes. A steady input of caffeine suddenly interrupted can produce headaches. Cannabis interruption spurs nothing.

Just because some clown misuses the word "addiction" that doesn't give him a peer-reviewed study. It's not "denial" it's more like a "crutch". "Poor me, it's not my fault, the addiction controls me and I can't do anything about it" kind of thing.

When I quit smoking (tobacco) 35 years ago my best psychological inspiration came from a friend who declared, correctly, "it's not an addiction --- it's a habit". That's a dramatic contrast, because a habit is something one can control, turn on or off. An "addiction" is an outside force.

People with ADHD gets a reverse effect when smoking pot, when I smoke it makes me laugh, hungry and fall asleep in minutes, to them it wakes them up and they can function.

I Suggest that if you are smoking the stuff you get a lung test. You might have the beginning of COPD and can still be helped. This is unless you want to be tied to a tank of Ox, and a plastic hose up your nose. My Bro has to live like that 24/7 and will die in his sleep.

From cannabis? I doubt it.

weed can make one be psychologically dependent but it is not physically addictive like nicotine or opioids.

People with ADHD gets a reverse effect when smoking pot, when I smoke it makes me laugh, hungry and fall asleep in minutes, to them it wakes them up and they can function.

It would have been nice to have a little while back when I was waking up with sore jaws from clenching my teeth all night from stress. But noooooooooo.....

It would have been nice to have a little while back when I was waking up with sore jaws from clenching my teeth all night from stress. But noooooooooo.....

Yea I have not smoked any in a few years, I wouldn't mind a joint right about now.

weed can make one be psychologically dependent but it is not physically addictive like nicotine or opioids.

Exactly. Matter of fact, when I finally decided to start smoking, I tried a small experiment.

If you were to drink a case of beer, every day, for a month, and then stop suddenly? You will go into DT's, which is the physical withdrawl from alcohol. And, people can actually die from them.

So, knowing that little factoid about alcohol, I decided to try the same thing with cannabis. I took a month (it was after I retired), and spent 30 days smoking morning noon and night. Then, at the end of the 30 days, I stopped suddenly to see if there was any kind of physical withdrawl. The only thing I noticed was that I wasn't stoned anymore, and there were zero physical symptoms from suddenly stopping.

Yes, cannabis can be mentally addictive, but then again, so can gambling, shopping, running, people (its called codependency), etc.

But, it is NOT physically addictive.

Exactly. Matter of fact, when I finally decided to start smoking, I tried a small experiment.

If you were to drink a case of beer, every day, for a month, and then stop suddenly? You will go into DT's, which is the physical withdrawl from alcohol. And, people can actually die from them.

So, knowing that little factoid about alcohol, I decided to try the same thing with cannabis. I took a month (it was after I retired), and spent 30 days smoking morning noon and night. Then, at the end of the 30 days, I stopped suddenly to see if there was any kind of physical withdrawl. The only thing I noticed was that I wasn't stoned anymore, and there were zero physical symptoms from suddenly stopping.

Yes, cannabis can be mentally addictive, but then again, so can gambling, shopping, running, people (its called codependency), etc.

it's been 18 1/2 years since i had a cigarette ( smoked for 26 years) & i know if i took one puff - even now - i'd be hooked again. i enjoy cannabis but have never had any kind of withdrawal.

it's been 18 1/2 years since i had a cigarette ( smoked for 26 years) & i know if i took one puff - even now - i'd be hooked again. i enjoy cannabis but have never had any kind of withdrawal.

That is because cannabis is not physically addictive in any way shape or form.

And yeah, I hear you about the cigarettes. I've been off of them for several years now, but I know if I have just one, I might end up a pack a day smoker again.

Interesting little side note................When I quit smoking cigarettes, I took up my bicycle again. And, for a couple of months, I noticed the effect that smoking cigarettes had upon my bicycle riding, namely that my wind and O2 uptake was down from where it had been, but after I'd been away from cigarettes for a month or so, it started to go back up, until it is where it should be, at around 99 percent (I'm in my mid 50's).

During that time, even though I had quit cigarettes, I still continued to smoke cannabis. Interestingly enough, cannabis has no adverse effects on my bike riding.

And yeah, I hear you about the cigarettes. I've been off of them for several years now, but I know if I have just one, I might end up a pack a day smoker again.

Interesting little side note................When I quit smoking cigarettes, I took up my bicycle again. And, for a couple of months, I noticed the effect that smoking cigarettes had upon my bicycle riding, namely that my wind and O2 uptake was down from where it had been, but after I'd been away from cigarettes for a month or so, it started to go back up, until it is where it should be, at around 99 percent (I'm in my mid 50's).

During that time, even though I had quit cigarettes, I still continued to smoke cannabis. Interestingly enough, cannabis has no adverse effects on my bike riding.

i remember an interview with ozzy osbourne. he was a heroin addict & a cigarette smoker & said it was harder for him to quit smoking than it was to quit shooting up.

i remember an interview with ozzy osbourne. he was a heroin addict & a cigarette smoker & said it was harder for him to quit smoking than it was to quit shooting up.

It would probably be the same though if it was legal like cigarettes, imagine everywhere you go you could pick up a gram of heroin or Cocaine like smokes?

So this worse case scenario didnt end with multiple DUIs or a fatality car accident? He didnt hit his wife or kids in a drunken rage? No detoxing process?

You heard it here folks, even the worst case of weed addiction is super mild!

It would probably be the same though if it was legal like cigarettes, imagine everywhere you go you could pick up a gram of heroin or Cocaine like smokes?
So, you can't smoke in stores, restaurants, in the park, in schools, in hospitals, or around kids --- so exactly where do people smoke? And if tobacco wreaks one's lungs, wouldn't the same hold true for pot. And if Pot is so good, why not just ingest like an aspirin????

Any addiction is a personal issue, And should be kept to oneself.
Marijuana does not benefit millions of people in anyway, That being said it should be a personal choice.
Just like gun control the government needs to stay out of personal lives at all costs.
I personally see no difference between marijuana and tobacco, it’s amazing how the two are treated so differently... lol

So this worse case scenario didnt end with multiple DUIs or a fatality car accident? He didnt hit his wife or kids in a drunken rage? No detoxing process?

You heard it here folks, even the worst case of weed addiction is super mild!
True, marijuana is not at all harmful to some people, but it is extremely harmful to other people.
It should be a personal private thing

Forum List

Back