im trippin out guys

In Texas, we do beef brisket as part of the BBQ palette. All other bbq regions give us hell for it too.

:auiqs.jpg:

The absolute hardest BBQ to get right!!

I gave up on briskets
Low heat for 14 hours and they still weren’t tender
I did them once and turned out great. It wasnt a full brisket though. It was only around 5 or 6 pounds or something

That ain't a brisket.
You need a 20 lb packer.
It's not unusual to spend 150 bucks for a nice brisket.
Hell,I'll drop 300 for a 20lb brisket in a mid grade Wagyu without blinking.
upload_2018-4-7_22-37-10.png

Some of you know i love to cook. Some of you know i love to bbq. Well, i finally got asked!
Someone i know got a spot at the local bbq cook off. Fairly decent competition.. around 50 or so entries.. anyways, they asked me to cook and represent them.. idk the rules or anything yet. I didnt say yes.. i said let me think.
But i am SO giddy! I will be using his grill which is about 5ft by 10ft with a kitchen and patio. Amazing set up. About a 10k dollar rig..
I have never cooked with a system like this but i fully believe i can do well.
Im so excited but nervous.. lol like a little kid
Give me support bitches!

You best get in some practice with that rig, it's not like cooking at home.

Said i can make anything as long as its cooked on a grill. Thinking about doing prjme rib smoked turkey grilled ceasar salad and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. But im not settled on it yet.
HereWeGoAgain you have experience with this.. would that be a good combo?

In Texas it's all about the meat.
You have brisket,chicken,ribs,sausage and sometimes a freestyle class.
The thing ya wanna win here is brisket.
The closest I got in a major cook off was 3rd in yard bird and 9th in brisket with 250 participants.

Some of you know i love to cook. Some of you know i love to bbq. Well, i finally got asked!
Someone i know got a spot at the local bbq cook off. Fairly decent competition.. around 50 or so entries.. anyways, they asked me to cook and represent them.. idk the rules or anything yet. I didnt say yes.. i said let me think.
But i am SO giddy! I will be using his grill which is about 5ft by 10ft with a kitchen and patio. Amazing set up. About a 10k dollar rig..
I have never cooked with a system like this but i fully believe i can do well.
Im so excited but nervous.. lol like a little kid
Give me support bitches!

You best get in some practice with that rig, it's not like cooking at home.

Exactly!!
It can take weeks to learn a stick smokers habits.

Have considered cowboy baked beans with pancetta but i dont have any cast iron pots :/
Cast iron cooking is a whole other art form. Cowboy baked beans is too big a dream for you right now. Stick with what you know for the competition. Jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon! Grilled turkey ceasar! Prime rib! Do it!!

Bet i would blow their minds with ground ribeye spaghetti hamburgers!
OldLady strollingbones ChrisL

Spaghetti hamburgers??? Now you are just getting scary. :D
Do you not remember my thread about it? They were awesome

:dunno: I've participated in a LOT of food threads here, but now that you mention it, I think I remember something about you wanting to experiment with spaghetti hamburgers. I still haven't figured out WHY yet. :eek:

you know their sorry asses are just doing shoulders

Pork shoulders are the easiest thing to BBQ no doubt.
Hell,my wife could do one.

Care to share your recipe?:5_1_12024:

It's really not that complicated.
Pick up a 5 to 6 lb. pork butt or shoulder.
Rub it down with you favorite pork rub,wrap tightly with saran wrap and put in the fridge overnight.
Get the pit to 225,I generally use a mixture of oak and pecan.
An hour our two into the smoke you need to spritz occasionally to help build bark.
I use a coke/apple juice mixture. Bring the internal temp to 190 to 195 ,wrap in foil and an old towel then place it in a cambro or ice chest for an hour.

Thats it other than a vinegar sauce and some coleslaw for your sandwich's.

And where is this happening?
TN my nig

Mm. This does me no good. Needs to be TX.But go break a leg, or cook one. Then eat it and if I’m ever in the Cumberland Gap I’ll hit ya up for grub.
You better! We would fuck this state up lol

Already have. Ever been to the Nashville sound in Johnson City?
Nope

Well don’t ever do it if you plan on making fun of Lenord Skenerd. You will likely get cut.

you know their sorry asses are just doing shoulders

Pork shoulders are the easiest thing to BBQ no doubt.
Hell,my wife could do one.

Care to share your recipe?:5_1_12024:

It's really not that complicated.
Pick up a 5 to 6 lb. pork butt or shoulder.
Rub it down with you favorite pork rub,wrap tightly with saran wrap and put in the fridge overnight.
Get the pit to 225,I generally use a mixture of oak and pecan.
An hour our two into the smoke you need to spritz occasionally to help build bark.
I use a coke/apple juice mixture. Bring the internal temp to 190 to 195 ,wrap in foil and an old towel then place it in a cambro or ice chest for an hour.

Thats it other than a vinegar sauce and some coleslaw for your sandwich's.

Texans go nuts over briskets and butts.

what size cast iron pot do you need? you pay the shipping each way cause i want my cast iron back....

TNHarley

It would probably be cheaper for him to just buy one. You don't need a super expensive one.
Beans have to be in the beanpot. It's not the pot, it's the years of gudge baked into the sides. It tastes better. Cast iron can work, as long as it's what you've been using right along, but up here, we use

upload_2018-4-8_10-58-44.png

I use my grandmother's.

Bet i would blow their minds with ground ribeye spaghetti hamburgers!
OldLady strollingbones ChrisL

Spaghetti hamburgers??? Now you are just getting scary. :D
Do you not remember my thread about it? They were awesome

:dunno: I've participated in a LOT of food threads here, but now that you mention it, I think I remember something about you wanting to experiment with spaghetti hamburgers. I still haven't figured out WHY yet. :eek:

TNHarley experimenting with spaghetti hamburgers?

Now that should be good.

:popcorn:

what size cast iron pot do you need? you pay the shipping each way cause i want my cast iron back....

TNHarley

It would probably be cheaper for him to just buy one. You don't need a super expensive one.
Beans have to be in the beanpot. It's not the pot, it's the years of gudge baked into the sides. It tastes better. Cast iron can work, as long as it's what you've been using right along, but up here, we use

View attachment 186847

I use my grandmother's.
Cast iron must be chosen carefully and seasoned carefully. Meanwhile, what you say is all very heartwarming. But your grandma didn't make Cowboy beans she made Yankee beans.:10:

Forum List

Back