Imagine police kicking down your doors to look for guns.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
In Baltimore, you don’t have to imagine.

Opinion | In Baltimore, Police Officers Are the Bad Guys With Guns

We spent the last two years reporting a book on the Baltimore Police Department’s Gun Trace Task Force, a once-celebrated police squad whose members were ultimately indicted on federal racketeering charges in 2017. We learned that a war on guns in Baltimore looks a lot like the war on drugs: It is a city waging war on its own citizens.

And it doesn’t work.

The war on guns, like the war on drugs, is primarily waged on poor people by small operations units that drive around in unmarked cars looking for trouble. They’re called jump-out boys or knockers, and they do not respond to citizen calls. Instead, they take away resources and credibility from the patrol officers who do. They do not solve homicides, and they often damage community trust, hampering the efforts of those who do solve homicides.

You can read the rest of the article, but let me put it this way. Guns are not the problem. Never have been. The problem is that the firearm is the scapegoat. But let’s focus on these get the guns off the street sweeps and police efforts.

Imagine you call the cops to report a robbery in progress, and they don’t show up. Imagine you call the cops to report an assault, and it takes hours before one shows up to write the report. The person who is robbing, and assaulting is never caught. So when the police show up wanting to know what you saw when a murder happened, what do you do? Do you put your neck on the line to identify someone, or not? If you live in that neighborhood you do not. The best the Baltimore police ever did on solving murders was 50%. Heads you get away with it, tails you get caught. Right now, the odds are about one in three. In other words, you are twice as likely to get away with the murder, as you are to get caught.

The illusion of “get tough” policing is that it is proactive and goes after the criminals. The reality is that it alienates the community, and it would alienate you too. Don’t pretend it doesn’t.

One of the reasons that Trump and his associates did not cooperate with the FBI was obvious. They knew the basis of the investigation was false. They knew that the Golden Shower file was a lie. So why help with someone who is obviously setting you up? The FBI became the enemy, by their own actions. The Department of Justice became the ones not to be trusted, by their own actions.

In those communities we are talking about the police are the enemy. They don’t get the murderers, they don’t get the robbers, they don’t get the people preying on the citizenry. They get the citizens, for trying to protect themselves the same way you and I do, by getting a gun. We’ve said it for years, the police will show up after the fact, and draw an outline around you. Otherwise, you’re on your own to defend yourself.

I can’t begrudge people doing what I believe is their God given Right.

We spent the last two years reporting a book on the Baltimore Police Department’s Gun Trace Task Force, a once-celebrated police squad whose members were ultimately indicted on federal racketeering charges in 2017. We learned that a war on guns in Baltimore looks a lot like the war on drugs: It is a city waging war on its own citizens.

And it doesn’t work.

The war on guns, like the war on drugs, is primarily waged on poor people by small operations units that drive around in unmarked cars looking for trouble. They’re called jump-out boys or knockers, and they do not respond to citizen calls. Instead, they take away resources and credibility from the patrol officers who do. They do not solve homicides, and they often damage community trust, hampering the efforts of those who do solve homicides.

You can read the rest of the article, but let me put it this way. Guns are not the problem. Never have been. The problem is that the firearm is the scapegoat. But let’s focus on these get the guns off the street sweeps and police efforts.

Imagine you call the cops to report a robbery in progress, and they don’t show up. Imagine you call the cops to report an assault, and it takes hours before one shows up to write the report. The person who is robbing, and assaulting is never caught. So when the police show up wanting to know what you saw when a murder happened, what do you do? Do you put your neck on the line to identify someone, or not? If you live in that neighborhood you do not. The best the Baltimore police ever did on solving murders was 50%. Heads you get away with it, tails you get caught. Right now, the odds are about one in three. In other words, you are twice as likely to get away with the murder, as you are to get caught.

The illusion of “get tough” policing is that it is proactive and goes after the criminals. The reality is that it alienates the community, and it would alienate you too. Don’t pretend it doesn’t.

One of the reasons that Trump and his associates did not cooperate with the FBI was obvious. They knew the basis of the investigation was false. They knew that the Golden Shower file was a lie. So why help with someone who is obviously setting you up? The FBI became the enemy, by their own actions. The Department of Justice became the ones not to be trusted, by their own actions.

In those communities we are talking about the police are the enemy. They don’t get the murderers, they don’t get the robbers, they don’t get the people preying on the citizenry. They get the citizens, for trying to protect themselves the same way you and I do, by getting a gun. We’ve said it for years, the police will show up after the fact, and draw an outline around you. Otherwise, you’re on your own to defend yourself.

Fucking disgusting and the police should be ashamed of themselves. As a retired Leo that’s just not acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it doesn’t work.

They've been doing that to pot smokers for decades.

and conservatives laughed!

I'll make a deal with you: you vote to legalize pot and I'll vote for you to keep your guns.

And it doesn’t work.

I'll make a deal with you: you vote to legalize pot and I'll vote for you to keep your guns.

What a loon. Show me in the Constituon where pot is a right

I figured you were a pothead

We've got politicians forcing their way into people's vaginas, so is this any surprise?

And it doesn’t work.

I am allergic to Marijuana. Legal or illegal I can not use it. I tried it once as a teenager. I also believe it should be legalized. The reason is obvious and simple. Freedom from Government. Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

And it doesn’t work.

I am allergic to Marijuana. Legal or illegal I can not use it. I tried it once as a teenager. I also believe it should be legalized. The reason is obvious and simple. Freedom from Government. Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

Regardless it's not a Constitutional right. Gun ownership is

And it doesn’t work.

Regardless it's not a Constitutional right. Gun ownership is

What was the purpose of the Constitution? It wasn’t written in ancient legal language. It was written in plain and simple English for the era. It was always intended to insure that the abuses suffered by the Colonists were never endured by the following generations. The line from Mel Gibson’s Patriot comes to mind. It is just as easy to have a Man’s rights trampled by a Congress of 3000 one mile away, as it is for a single King to do so from 3000 miles away.

The purpose was minimal Government, the absolute least we could get away with for some organizational control. Yet, each generation wanted to get a little more control. To stop someone from doing something they didn’t like. When we decide we don’t like something, we start looking for imaginary loopholes to pass a law to stop it. The Constitution did not give Congress, or the Executive Branch the authority to regulate any kind of drug, or medication, or anything else. But by God they got busy right away with the Tax Stamp for Alcohol. They called it Interstate Commerce, which is mentioned. It is interesting that the first challenge faced by the new Government was the Whiskey Rebellion. The people thought they were free. Free to do as they damned well please without someone telling them no, or demanding fees to allow them to do what they wanted.

But let’s talk about Marijuana. The war on drugs costs a fortune every single year. And we have not made a single dent in it. The Conservative Principle should be to live, and let live. You do what you want so long as you don’t cause me any harm. We learned the lesson on Prohibition, but we seem stubbornly determined to ignore the lesson, and the evidence before us. I blame the Puritans. Their punishment fixation has turned us into a nation of regulators. We’re going to regulate everything. Because you shouldn’t be allowed to do anything I don’t like.

If you ask me about any issue, my answer is always the same. I come down on the side of personal freedom. As long as you harm none, do whatever the hell you want to. But when you harm another, I believe you should face punishment.

And it doesn’t work.

Like they did in New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina.

And it doesn’t work.

Certainly one has the right to consume anything one wants. You do not have a right to eat anything that is spelled out in the Constitution. So the government could tell you it's illegal to ingest anything but plain oatmeal and it wouldn't be unconstitutional would it?

And it doesn’t work.

Like they did in New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina.

Yes. And it was wrong then too. Police Begin Seizing Guns of Civilians

I wonder why people don’t understand, that the entirety of the Bill of Rights is absolutely vital. You can’t water down one part, without harming another part as well. So you take away some folks Second Amendment Right, it doesn’t matter, except that that limit is then used as an example of what the Government can do, to limit the 4th, 5th, or 6th Amendment. Sure we can deny them a lawyer, we deny them guns too don’t we?

And it doesn’t work.

Ok, where is the bible did god hand out that right or guns themselves.

And it doesn’t work.

Ok, where is the bible did god hand out that right or guns themselves.

The God given right is self defense. Here is a link which I could at best paraphrase for you. Instead I will just post the link.

What does the Bible say about self-defense?

Using those principles as a foundation, the definitive work on just wars, and just uses of force was the work of St Augustine. Then again, St. Augustine is still studied for philosophical questions like what is a just law?

As for the Gun, Pfui. You know it isn’t mentioned but weapons are. But even with the weapons Christians are called upon to use restraint and wisdom. The idea that it is a last resort.

We've got politicians forcing their way into people's vaginas, so is this any surprise?
1295180.png

Nope....preventing the killing of a baby has nothing to do with a vagina...in fact, it keeps doctors from putting scissors and needles into the Vagina to kill the baby...the exact opposite of what you posted...

They may get away with that in poor areas, but in more affluent areas no way.

But let’s just break down some of the things you can do with your vagina that you can’t do with a gun:

• Carry them on an airplane. You don’t need to check your vagina with the luggage.
  • Concealed? In many places, you can’t conceal your weapon. Ladies, are prepared to walk around with your vaginas out in the open?
  • Interstate travel: You can drive across state lines – all of them – with your vagina safely between your legs without having to fill out any paperwork.
  • You’re not required to pass a background check to get a vagina – but given how many single mothers we have now, that might not be a bad idea.
  • If you‘re arrested in your home, the media isn’t going to report that you were “armed with an assault vagina.”

But let’s just break down some of the things you can do with your vagina that you can’t do with a gun:

• Carry them on an airplane. You don’t need to check your vagina with the luggage.
  • Concealed? In many places, you can’t conceal your weapon. Ladies, are prepared to walk around with your vaginas out in the open?
  • Interstate travel: You can drive across state lines – all of them – with your vagina safely between your legs without having to fill out any paperwork.
  • You’re not required to pass a background check to get a vagina – but given how many single mothers we have now, that might not be a bad idea.
  • If you‘re arrested in your home, the media isn’t going to report that you were “armed with an assault vagina.”

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it doesn’t work.

The thread premise is a lie, it also fails as both a hasty generalization fallacy and slippery slope fallacy – nothing more than rightwing demagoguery and sophistry.

Only a tiny percentage of officers were involved in illegal activities – activities neither sanctioned by the city nor authorized by statute; that a Baltimore police sergeant was subject to criminal prosecution is proof of that.

This thread is yet another example of how dishonest and reprehensible most conservatives are.

Forum List

Back