Immortality: Uploading Human Mind to Computers?

The ambitious mission of replicating the human brain onto a computer and achieving immortality.

You or your mind wouldn't be immortal. A copy of your mind would be.

Think of it as cloning. If I got a clone and die the next day, I would still be dead but my clone would be alive. I think that's an important distinction.

• Banned
The ambitious mission of replicating the human brain onto a computer and achieving immortality.

Think of it as cloning. If I got a clone and die the next day, I would still be dead but my clone would be alive. I think that's an important distinction.

Put it another way; could the mind continue (somewhere out there) with out the physical body?

The future won't require this, you will have artificial limbs that will do that for you. Robotic heart, robotic liver, kidney. whatever is failing on you. I suppose you will live for as long as your plasma remains fresh, but your brain can remain in place.

I'm sure some of the super wealthy are already considering this even as the science isn't nearly there yet. I have no doubt, that the future will allow people to live for much longer than we live today. Only if you have the means of course, which will bring to life an entirely new desperation for success beyond just living comfortably.

Until then, I hope people have dignity in death and in their Faith. There is nothing more humbling than the prospect of mortality.

The future won't require this, you will have artificial limbs that will do that for you. Robotic heart, robotic liver, kidney. whatever is failing on you. I suppose you will live for as long as your plasma remains fresh, but your brain can remain in place.

I'm sure some of the super wealthy are already considering this even as the science isn't nearly there yet. I have no doubt, that the future will allow people to live for much longer than we live today. Only if you have the means of course, which will bring to life an entirely new desperation for success beyond just living comfortably.

Until then, I hope people have dignity in death and in their Faith. There is nothing more humbling than the prospect of mortality.

• Banned

No more reproducing? Rutting season over? The cuttlefish mating ritual finished?

Where’s the fun in that?

No more reproducing? Rutting season over? The cuttlefish mating ritual finished?

Where’s the fun in that?

Bicentenial Man is a great movie. Variations of those questions are addressed. If you haven't seen it, you should.

It's kind of an antonym to your thread topic.

Where’s the fun in that?

Bicentenial Man is a great movie. Variations of those questions are addressed. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Is it on Netflix?

Where’s the fun in that?

Is it on Netflix?

I believe it is.

The idea of an artificial brain has been around for a long time. The hard problem is to try to replicate consciousness. Many argue that most more complex animals have consciousness. It might be easier to start with an animal and work up. "Dog years" would have a different meaning.

The idea of an artificial brain has been around for a long time. The hard problem is to try to replicate consciousness. Many argue that most more complex animals have consciousness. It might be easier to start with an animal and work up. "Dog years" would have a different meaning.

Are the brain and the mind different entities?

Put it another way; could the mind continue (somewhere out there) with out the physical body?
Yes, it's called the afterlife

Absolutely

Many think the brain is the mechanism and mind is an emergent phenomenon. There are studies of people with brain injuries who are blind, but will duck at an object thrown at them. Look up "blind sight". Or a person who lost all hearing but will obey orders that they don't "hear". They will confabulate reasons for their behavior. They are aware of their behavior but are oblivious to the reasons for their behavior -- ie. consciousness.

A consciousness is not the physical structure the creates it. If you are speculating about a technology that could replicate such a thing, then imaging it to be able to gradually replace the physical structure that support the Mind, is not much of a leap.

5 years seems very unlikely for it though. I'm not even sure what the building blocks you would need for such a task would be.

One way of looking at it is that the brain is the hardware in which the mind (software) resides. But it probably is not quite that simple.

Forum List

Back