Interesting facts

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
We don't know what our own galaxy looks like. Because of our location in the Milky Way, we can't directly observe much of what's in it, let alone what it looks like as a whole. We 'guess' based on what other spiral galaxies look like, but have never directly imaged our own home galaxy.

The actual appearence of our own home galaxy may forever be like the inner goings on of black holes and remain unknowable for all time. Or until Andromeda crashes into the Milky Way and makes that moot. :)

In addition to infinitely large (can always add more or another unit to a colleciton of units,) there's also infinitely small (can always take a unit away,) infinitely hot (oddly enough since heat is molecules moving more and more rapidly, yet despite lightspeed being the max, there's no theoretical max to heat.)

Conversely, some things we think are real aren't. Now that it's pool seaosn once again I hear a lot of people exclaiming how cold the pool is. Yet cold doesn't literalyl exist. When you measure something's temperature you're measuring how much heat is presence. You can't measure how much heat isn't present or holw much cold is present. In the same way, darkness doesn't exist tiehr. Light being a measurement of how many photons there are. Darkness would be the complete lack of photons but that's not easy to do without extraordinary effort and engineering.

Delta, if your English skills weren't so bad, I would suggest you try to get a job as a science teacher.

We don't know what our own galaxy looks like. Because of our location in the Milky Way, we can't directly observe much of what's in it, let alone what it looks like as a whole. We 'guess' based on what other spiral galaxies look like, but have never directly imaged our own home galaxy.

The actual appearence of our own home galaxy may forever be like the inner goings on of black holes and remain unknowable for all time. Or until Andromeda crashes into the Milky Way and makes that moot. :)
Well well ....... aren't you a rank slop jar full of weird and wonderful tidbits of the strange and unearthly. Reading your posts are well worth the price of admission.

Well well ....... aren't you a rank slop jar full of weird and wonderful tidbits of the strange and unearthly. Reading your posts are well worth the price of admission.

Watch a lot of tv. :)

Have you read recently about the galaxy consisting of huge waves that hinder the attempts to get good pictures of it? I'll see if I can find the article and post it for you.

Have you read recently about the galaxy consisting of huge waves that hinder the attempts to get good pictures of it? I'll see if I can find the article and post it for you.

Saw something on phys.org yesterday about gravity waves or lensing. But didn't read it.

Delta, if your English skills weren't so bad, I would suggest you try to get a job as a science teacher.

Like moany writers, my English skills are excellent. But while I write extremely well, my talents do not include editing, proofreading, or typing. :)
Go to a community college and take a writer's class that emphasizes practical skills like this. I learned all these skills while I was a major in journalism. You might try that.

Saw something on phys.org yesterday about gravity waves or lensing. But didn't read it.
Ripples in the Milky Way - Sky Telescope

Like moany writers, my English skills are excellent. But while I write extremely well, my talents do not include editing, proofreading, or typing. :)
Go to a community college and take a writer's class that emphasizes practical skills like this. I learned all these skills while I was a major in journalism. You might try that.

I believe in propriety. Not gonna put a professional editor out of work taking their job. :)

I believe in propriety. Not gonna put a professional editor out of work taking their job. :)
I take it you're in the ranks of the permanently unemployed.

I take it you're in the ranks of the permanently unemployed.

Unofficially retired. Don't have to work again if I don't want to. Investing isn't that complicated ;)

Have some things I wanna do professionally, just not in any great hurry. Have some book ideas. At least one would probably be better published posthumously. ;)

Name all the dinosaurs you can. Was 'Brontosaurus' one of them? Doesn't exist.

Forget Extinct The Brontosaurus Never Even Existed NPR

"Apatosaurus (right, opposite a Diplodocus skeleton at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh), is what paleontologist Othniel Charles Marsh actually found when he thought he'd discovered the Brontosaurus.

It may have something to do with all those Brontosaurus burgers everyone's favorite modern stone-age family ate, but when you think of a giant dinosaur with a tiny head and long, swooping tail, the Brontosaurus is probably what you're seeing in your mind.

Well hold on: Scientifically speaking, there's no such thing as a Brontosaurus.

Even if you knew that, you may not know how the fictional dinosaur came to star in the prehistoric landscape of popular imagination for so long.

It dates back 130 years, to a period of early U.S. paleontology known as the Bone Wars, says Matt Lamanna, curator at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh."

more at link.

Who knew? Thought it was one of em :)

Forum List

Back