Iowa students earn PE credits mowing lawns for elderly and disabled.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
One of the best ideas I've seen in awhile.
(Article is from 2019)
1597896533542.png

Forget dodgeball, soccer or other boring drills. One school is swapping out these traditional physical education activities for yard work.

Students at the Alternative Learning Center (ALC) in Dubuque, Iowa, can now receive physical education credit when they help senior citizens or people with disabilities with their landscaping needs. But those receiving help with their landscaping aren’t the only ones who benefit.

The school itself provides an alternative setting for junior and senior high school students who have struggled to succeed at more traditional schools.

(Article is from 2019)
View attachment 377197

Forget dodgeball, soccer or other boring drills. One school is swapping out these traditional physical education activities for yard work.

Students at the Alternative Learning Center (ALC) in Dubuque, Iowa, can now receive physical education credit when they help senior citizens or people with disabilities with their landscaping needs. But those receiving help with their landscaping aren’t the only ones who benefit.

The school itself provides an alternative setting for junior and senior high school students who have struggled to succeed at more traditional schools.

Trump was in Iowa and really helped out (not) after losing 40% of the corn crop.

Yeah... I actually have more pride in my state than I do my country. Fuck'n sad.

It actually is a more widespread reality than many will acknowledge, especially democrats. People care about their communities. Slight/attack their community and you will have an enemy for life. People aren't going to soon forget that Deplorables thing.

(Article is from 2019)
View attachment 377197

College of the Ozarks is the name of the university that allows students work their way through college for 15 hours a week labor. Basically an hour of class is paid for by an hour of service.

One school is swapping out these traditional physical education activities for yard work.

Students at the Alternative Learning Center (ALC) in Dubuque, Iowa, can now receive physical education credit when they help senior citizens or people with disabilities with their landscaping needs
They're full of shit with that, mowing some old duffer's lawn for high school school credit. Kids need to do that sort of thing after school and earn a little bit of pocket money for it.

Then they need to go back to school and take some classes in small engine repair and maintenance, for all those lawnmowers they're pushing around.

They're full of shit with that, mowing some old duffer's lawn for high school school credit. Kids need to do that sort of thing after school and earn a little bit of pocket money for it.

Then they need to go back to school and take some classes in small engine repair and maintenance, for all those lawnmowers they're pushing around.
That's a good point too.
But if the equipment is the school's and the work is on
school time , that would be good.

Otherwise , I see your point. In the late 60's, early 70's up in NE Ohio, I made some good money mowing, raking leaves and shoveling snow.

Trump was in Iowa and really helped out (not) after losing 40% of the corn crop.
And yet he's still going to win Iowa... You know why? Because Iowa people aren't stupid.

Edit: Well... We're ahead of the curve... We do have some stupid. Really stupid. But we're still ahead of the curve.

Forum List

Back