Iran, Turkey brace for face-off in Syria

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Driven apart by clashing regional interests, Turkey and Iran appear headed for a face-off in Syria, with Tehran explicitly opposing Ankara’s plan for a fresh military operation against Kurdish-held areas, wary of risks to its own posture in the region.

Turkey has failed to get a green light from the United States to press ahead with the plan, while Russia appears to be stalling. The Iranians, meanwhile, have sent militia reinforcements to two Shiite settlements northwest of Aleppo, not far from a key area in Ankara’s crosshairs, while trying to talk Turkey out from making the move — apparently with little success thus far. The Iranian foreign minister was expected to hold talks in Turkey on June 6, two days before a critical visit by Russia’s foreign minister, but the trip was cancelled due to what the Iranian press described as scheduling problems. An Iranian journalist who closely follows Turkish-Iranian ties told Al-Monitor that Tehran sent a military intelligence official to Ankara to convey its objections. Al-Monitor could not verify the claim independently. The journalist asked to remain anonymous.

The notion of rivalry has become an understatement in defining Turkish-Iranian ties. The rifts between the two neighbors have deepened amid an array of issues concerning Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Yemen, coupled with frictions over the sharing of transboundary waters and a seemingly uncontrolled stream of Afghan refugees to Turkey from Iran. The two sides have stood with opposing blocs in the government-formation impasse in Baghdad and wrangled for influence in Mosul, Kirkuk and Sinjar. Tehran has wooed the Shiite section of the Turkmen minority to divide Ankara’s main ally in Iraq. It has denounced Turkey’s pursuit of militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) on Iraqi territory, and Iranian-backed militias have attacked a Turkish base there amid Turkish accusations that Iran is covertly backing the PKK. Moreover, Ankara has moved closer to the Arab-Israeli axis emerging against Iran and reverted to pleasing the Saudis in Yemen as part of normalization efforts with Riyadh.

They are on a rocky road right now and it's all ego driven.

Read more: Iran, Turkey brace for face-off in Syria

Driven apart by clashing regional interests, Turkey and Iran appear headed for a face-off in Syria, with Tehran explicitly opposing Ankara’s plan for a fresh military operation against Kurdish-held areas, wary of risks to its own posture in the region.

Turkey has failed to get a green light from the United States to press ahead with the plan, while Russia appears to be stalling. The Iranians, meanwhile, have sent militia reinforcements to two Shiite settlements northwest of Aleppo, not far from a key area in Ankara’s crosshairs, while trying to talk Turkey out from making the move — apparently with little success thus far. The Iranian foreign minister was expected to hold talks in Turkey on June 6, two days before a critical visit by Russia’s foreign minister, but the trip was cancelled due to what the Iranian press described as scheduling problems. An Iranian journalist who closely follows Turkish-Iranian ties told Al-Monitor that Tehran sent a military intelligence official to Ankara to convey its objections. Al-Monitor could not verify the claim independently. The journalist asked to remain anonymous.

The notion of rivalry has become an understatement in defining Turkish-Iranian ties. The rifts between the two neighbors have deepened amid an array of issues concerning Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Yemen, coupled with frictions over the sharing of transboundary waters and a seemingly uncontrolled stream of Afghan refugees to Turkey from Iran. The two sides have stood with opposing blocs in the government-formation impasse in Baghdad and wrangled for influence in Mosul, Kirkuk and Sinjar. Tehran has wooed the Shiite section of the Turkmen minority to divide Ankara’s main ally in Iraq. It has denounced Turkey’s pursuit of militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) on Iraqi territory, and Iranian-backed militias have attacked a Turkish base there amid Turkish accusations that Iran is covertly backing the PKK. Moreover, Ankara has moved closer to the Arab-Israeli axis emerging against Iran and reverted to pleasing the Saudis in Yemen as part of normalization efforts with Riyadh.

"In the aftermath of the Second World War, Turkey made the historic choice of siding with the free world and the Western Bloc. This policy was led Turkey to become member of NATO on 18 February 1952. Since then, NATO has been the cornerstone of Turkey's defense and security policy."

One more issue for President Biden to attempt to tackle.

Would you consider it a concerted effort by America to encourage hostilities between some Nato country and Iran?

The US war against Russia is stalemating but we all should know that there is a plan in effect to make sure no cessation of hostilities can happen.

Some Nato country's direct involvement is needed in order to at least partially enact their article 5 against Russia, in a limited and cautious way.

Meanwhile, the Zionist regime is going nuts over not getting support for their war on Iran!

Would you consider it a concerted effort by America to encourage hostilities between some Nato country and Iran?

The US war against Russia is stalemating but we all should know that there is a plan in effect to make sure no cessation of hostilities can happen.

Some Nato country's direct involvement is needed in order to at least partially enact their article 5 against Russia, in a limited and cautious way.
America? I am shocked. SHOCKED! The US merely increased the odds.

The ME has been nothing more than a chess board for the US and Russia since England handed the reigns over. That said, how much prompting does Erdogan actually need with or without NATO or with or without Syria? None. Absolutely none. We are talking about a man that destroyed Turkey's "constitution" and did not bat an eye.

America? I am shocked. SHOCKED! The US merely increased the odds.

The ME has been nothing more than a chess board for the US and Russia since England handed the reigns over.
That at least is worth noticing. The Zionist regime is a willing pawn in the game, but is offered a reward by the US for playing America's game.

The trouble is now, Iran has become too powerful to trifle with. They can wipe the Zionist regime off the map i the name of Islam, and still get 72 virgins for every Iranian man.

That at least is worth noticing. The Zionist regime is a willing pawn in the game, but is offered a reward by the US for playing America's game.

The trouble is now, Iran has become too powerful to trifle with. They can wipe the Zionist regime off the map i the name of Islam, and still get 72 virgins for every Iranian man.
It's all worth noticing.

Let's put this another way. The only consistent friend the US has in that entire region is Israel. How Israel is treated, depends on which political party is in power in the US. I remind you that the US armed Iran and then Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, the US aided both Iraq and Iran during their war. The US can be very, very fickle.

Enough with the proxy wars.

It's all worth noticing.

Let's put this another way. The only consistent friend the US has in that entire region is Israel. How Israel is treated, depends on which political party is in power in the US. I remind you that the US armed Iran and then Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, the US aided both Iraq and Iran during their war.
I need no reminders. You do understand that you're talking to a Canadian?
Enough with the proxy wars.
America's proxy war with Russia doesn't need to be a part of this discussion.

I need no reminders. You do understand that you're talking to a Canadian?

America's proxy war with Russia doesn't need to be a part of this discussion.
I'm going to be honest with you Donald. I don't care where you are from.

America's proxy wars are the chess game.

I'm going to be honest with you Donald. I don't care where you are from.

America's proxy wars are the chess game.
Yes, but those wars can't be passed off as something else at the same time.

I think that at least you understand what's happening. In this age of nuclear weapons, there's a great equalizer that no country should be gambling with.

I look forward to hearing you take up an issue of interest to this forum.

Yes, but those wars can't be passed off as something else at the same time.

I think that at least you understand what's happening. In this age of nuclear weapons, there's a great equalizer that no country should be gambling with.

I look forward to hearing you take up an issue of interest to this forum.

This is a proxy war, Donald. I look forward to your education on these matters.

Forum List

Back