Iron Mike Tyson Can Fight In Confined Spaces

I agree with your last line. These heavyweights are huge nowadays. Fury, 6'9-Wilder and Joseph 6'7. Tyson was 5'11 220 when he fought. He was short, but he was not small. That's a thick man.

You are right, I met Mike some years back prior to his first fight against Evander Holyfield, because an old amateur teamate and friend of mine named Tommy Brooks actually trained Holyfield for their first fight, and as you probably recall, Holyfield kicked Mike's ass.

Tommy invited me to come to Vegas prior to the fight to the weigh in.

Tyson looked like he was 5 feet wide....lol.

But truthfully Evander actually looked bigger than him at the weigh in.

Not in the modern era. Hell, even Ali was in the 230's, and he was considered small. In the 80s and 90's, Tyson was small for the HW division.

Actually, Ali began his career weighing under 200 and matured to 212 as his prime weight around 5 years into his career, and in the latter part of his career, he hovered closer to about 218 to a little over 220 in good shape.

He only came at 230 or more a couple of times when he didnt train and was way out of shape.

But he was 6"3 so he carried the weight comfortably.

Here is a link that details every one of his fights including how much he weighed for each fight.

Tyson was small by today's standards especially in stature, at 5'10.
Weight wise, he hovered around 215-220.
Based on the size of today's heavyweights, is why I said that I see the need for an additional division.

Last edited:
You are right, I met Mike some years back prior to him fighting Evander Holyfield, because an old amateur teamate and friend of mine named Tommy Brooks actually trained Holyfield for their first fight, and as you probably lprobably recall, Holyfield kicked Mike's ass.

So Tommy invited me to come to Vegas prior to the fight to the weigh in.

Tyson looked like he was 5 feet wide....lol.
But truthfully Evander actually looked bigger than him at the weigh in.
Holyfield was no small brother. What was he 6'3 220? That's a linebacker.

Holyfield doesn't get his propers. He is one of the great fighters of all time.

Actually, Ali began his career with his weighing under 200 and matured 212 as his prime weighr and in the latter part of his career he hovered closer to about 218 to a little over 220 in good shape.

He only came at 230 or more a couple of times when he didnt train and was way out of shape.

But he was 6"3 so he carried the weight comfortably.

Here is a link that details every one of his fights including how much he weighed for each fight.

Tyson was small by today's standards especially in stature, at 5'10.
Weight wise, he hovered around 215-220.
Based on the size of today's heavyweights, is why I said that I see the need for an additional division.

Ali actually was a light heavy who went up wasn't he?

Ali actually was a light heavy who went up wasn't he?

He won the light heavyweight gold medal at the 1960 Olympics. However, he turned pro as a professional at about 190 pounds and the light heavy maximum weight limit was 175, and still is to this day. As I'm sure you know, that was why the boxing commissions added a cruiserweight division, because if a guy weighed 190 pounds he had to kill himself training to get down to 175, and then if he fought larger heavyweights, 190 was too small to effectively fight a larger heavyweight who was well over 200.

When he won the gold medal, he was only 18 years old, so naturally he filled out more before turning pro.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
He won the light heavyweight gold medal at the 1960 Olympics. However, he turned pro as a professional at about 190 pounds and the light heavy weight limit was not over 175. When he won the gold medal, he was only 18 years old, so naturally he filled out more before turning pro.
I can see that. I used to wrestle and cutting weight sucked. I did better when I didn't cut weight.

I can see that. I used to wrestle and cutting weight sucked. I did better when I didn't cut weight.

I tried working out with wrestlers in high school as a sophomore, and some of those guys really tortured themselves cutting weight.
Their workouts were brutal.
I always thought that putting on the gloves was far easier.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
View attachment 634169

Appears some guy got obnoxious with Iron Mike and he punched him out on a flight.

They used to say Mike Tyson could win a fight in a phone booth because of his technique.
Well this was pretty close to that.

Sources close to Tyson told TMZ Sports that the man was "extremely intoxicated" and that Tyson reportedly told him to 'chill' before the incident turned violent.
On Thursday, a Tyson representative said that the passenger threw a water bottle at Tyson while he was in his seat and that's what provoked the boxer.
The asshole looks Russian... And Iron Mike probably said "Don't meth with my theats" multiple times, and then pounded him!

And not Will Thmith thtyle, Mike Tython thtyle!!!

Probably bit his ear off too! The asshole deserves it! I love Tyson! I love Holyfield just a little more!

Last edited:
shit... now I have to watch the fight again, for the hundredth time... thee you tomorrow...

Last edited:
Every article says thats what happened, so i assume its true, though we know how terrible reporting is these days.
wait a minute, so if I get into a fight with your boy Mike Tyson, and he beats me up on a plane, does this mean you and me can't be bros anymore? :(

wait a minute, so if I get into a fight with your boy Mike Tyson, and he beats me up on a plane, does this mean you and me can't be bros anymore? :(
Ill still be your bro, but i will mock you for it every chance i get.

View attachment 634169

Appears some guy got obnoxious with Iron Mike and he punched him out on a flight.

They used to say Mike Tyson could win a fight in a phone booth because of his technique.

Sources close to Tyson told TMZ Sports that the man was "extremely intoxicated" and that Tyson reportedly told him to 'chill' before the incident turned violent.
On Thursday, a Tyson representative said that the passenger threw a water bottle at Tyson while he was in his seat and that's what provoked the boxer.
Looks like Mike aint got it any more. 25 years ago a flurry of punches, bare fisted, and that dork would have been a mess

I just listened to the greatest story of being empowered. By Evander Holyfield (my fav boxer ever). In and interview with Mike Tyson. It's very long, but it is worth the watch!

View attachment 634169

LOL... I saw that on the 'News' the other Night..

I'm not one to condone violence, but you are bugging a man who is trapped on a plane with you. Regardless of who it is, such persistent harassment could be perceived as a threat. I suppose the police and courts will have to decide as it appears he went to the cops.

Why would someone choose to knock on that door? Unless he had a motive or was not right of mind or emotion it doesn't make much sense.

This is so 2022 though...
To me it is a clear case of self-defense. It takes a whole lot of stupid to light a stick of dynamite, and continue to hang on to it until it explodes and relieves you of having a hand or arm blown off. And even the best judge in the world knows there is truth in the adage that "you can't fix stupid." People see a Maxine Waters telling her constituents to stalk and harrass other government employees, and they think at their level, anything goes. The mistake Congress made was approving a prejudiced House Speaker who puts herself on a pedestal and other Americans of conservative persuasion in a cold dungeon. Nancy Pelosi should have impeached Maxine Waters on the grounds of treason against a sitting President, members of his cabinet, and the entire staff. Nancy Pelosi views herself as the President, the House Speaker, and the Supreme Court. She is paranoid and acid, and her oath of office requires better of her than being a horrific partisan who is dividing the entire nation with her abuse and overstepping of her powers in a manner that weakens the Union that was established so a kingpin nor an oligarchy situation would never arise. Nancy Pelosi single-handedly convinced me that the feminine movement was not just a mistake, it has been a catastrophe under her whip she uses to enslave her minions (fellow Democrat Congresspersons) to her will, carved out by her former being a card-carrying communist which should have rang bells when she was selected to win a Congressional seat in the United State House of Representatives. No light of freedom ever was lit in a communist establishment. Down with evil people who provoke others with abuse of power. What Nancy Pelosi has done with her power is on a par with Bill Clinton's tendency to rape women who don't want to be raped.

Forum List

Back