• no

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Well? If so why?

It should be. Access to basic healthcare regardless of one's ability to pay should be essentially the same as one's access to a basic education regardless of one's ability to pay. We already have the latter.

What does "equal access" mean? Does it mean that we should have equal access to medical care like those in Congress who opted out of Obamacare?

Does it mean that we can be turned down for medical treatment so long as everyone is turned down for the same thing?

Stop being obtuse.

"Poor treatment of vets is an epidemic in the US, and has been since I can remember" is now the stupidest statement of the week.

My government healh care as a young child, on active duty, and from the VA has all been excellent.

I think many, if not, most veterans would rate their care at 4 or 5 on a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being the lowest.

Depends on where you live. Some countries have written it into their Constitutions. Guess it's a right there.

We are guaranteed a right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". It could be argued that it falls in there somewhere.

Was it a slow news day that the "is healthcare a right" "go to" had to be gone to? This is the "is it raining where you are" question.

Actually, the Constitution says "life, liberty and property." You're quoting the Declaration of Independence. And property means you have the right to your own property, not someone else's property

Whenever the word 'right' is used, raise your feet. In a civilized society, nation, having access to healthcare make sense on so many levels there is no need to use words when actions cover the topic. Language and ideology make some people stupid, time we thought about life in another way than the contemporary American world of dichotomous nonsense used only to divide.

"The map above shows the top 10 healthiest states in gold color....Vermont, once again, ranked as the number one healthiest state in America, followed by Hawaii, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Minnesota.

Among the least healthiest were Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana, and at the bottom of the list, Mississippi.

The report cites successes in preventable hospitalizations, occupational fatalities, air pollution, infectious disease, premature death, cardiovascular deaths, cancer deaths, high school graduation, and violent crime.

Among troubling challenges were children in poverty, lack of health insurance, immunization coverage, and low birth weight."
New Report on America's Health Rankings Indicates Progress But Troubling Challenges | HelpingYouCare®

http://cdnfiles.americashealthrankings.org/SiteFiles/Reports/Americas-Health-Rankings-2012-v1.pdf
Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

"So consider: elderly people of limited means in the United States who are dependent on Medicare for their basic well-being—there are tens of millions of them—are rather clearly “vulnerable people.” Why, then, is it not equally problematic when a powerful congressman, Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, advocates effectively eliminating the program that benefits these vulnerable people, indeed, keeps them alive? “Hatred,” after all, is not the issue as Waldron says, and no one, I assume, thinks Rep. Ryan “hates” the elderly or the poor. He may simply be stupid, or in thrall to an ideology, or defective in empathetic capacity, or beholden to special interests; whatever the explanation, it is clear that his proposals, if enacted, would eventually result in elderly people in need being unable to afford essential healthcare." Brian Leiter review of 'The Harm in Hate Speech' by Jeremy Waldron, Waldron on the Regulation of Hate Speech by Brian Leiter :: SSRN

I've started a thread on Medicare in the Healthcare forum, essentially asking posters how many of their elderly relatives they'd be able/willing to support if Medicare disappeared.

Only one has had the courage to respond, and he responds with utter fatalism.

The self-absorption is fascinating.

For the richest country in the world, we should have all of our citizens guaranteed at least a basic level of healthcare. That much should be a right of all Americans.

"This equality of men by nature, the judicious Hooker looks upon as so evident in itself, and beyond all question, that he makes it the foundation of that obligation to mutual love amongst men, on which he builds the duties they owe one another, and from whence he derives the great maxims of justice and charity... Every one, as he is bound to preserve himself... by the like reason, when his own preservation comes not in competition, ought he, as much as he can, to preserve the rest of mankind"
-- John Locke; from 'Second Treatise on Civil Government' Ch. 2

Depends on where you live. Some countries have written it into their Constitutions. Guess it's a right there.

We are guaranteed a right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". It could be argued that it falls in there somewhere.

Was it a slow news day that the "is healthcare a right" "go to" had to be gone to? This is the "is it raining where you are" question.

Actually, the Constitution says "life, liberty and property." You're quoting the Declaration of Independence. And property means you have the right to your own property, not someone else's property

Oh the irony of you CONSTANTLY accusing others of reading comprehension issues...

I didn't say I was quoting our Constitution. I said other countries had it in theirs.

I said that we are guaranteed life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as an inalienable right.

For the richest country in the world, we should have all of our citizens guaranteed at least a basic level of healthcare. That much should be a right of all Americans.

Explain to me exactly why.

That being the case, every American is entitled to a good job whether qualified or not. And a house whether or not they can afford it. And three full meals each day - meaning they have the right to come into YOUR home and eat YOUR food.

The ONLY rights guaranteed by the US Constitution is that everyone should have an equal CHANCE. If they don't take advantages of the opportunities available, IT IS THEIR LOSS, NOT YOURS - OR MINE!

That's what you leftists/progs will never understand because your entire life, you have been given everything and have never had to WORK for anything. :blowup:

If asked to prove that, you could, right?

I can give you a perfect example of someone who has never earned ANYTHING, has never had a productive job, and has done everything possible to cover up his own background so that no one seems to know what his college transcripts say.

images

The moonbat messiah has been given everything, including the office of POTUS. He doesn't deserve it, he didn't earn it, he got it through absolute fraud. He is the epitome of a libturd that has never earned anything and would flat line a polygraph if asked if he deserved it.

You don't have a right to force other people to doctor you. So no, it's not a right.

No, it is a need rather than a right.
Depending on the affordability, a country may support or provide healthcare for its citizens.

Well? If so why?
I think healthcare is a right. I think high functioning societies need to provide healthcare for everyone in some way or another. I think healthcare is a as fundamental as clean water and police services, however in the modern age we have been duped into turning it into a luxury. We provide healthcare to prisoners and to POWs exactly because it is a vital service. The reason healthcare has become so expensive is because we have made incentive for it to get expensive, there is no reason for private sellers to facilitate lower prices because people will pay through the teeth to be healthy and to survive. I would argue that every man alive would give away every cent to stay alive, we have allowed greed to take advantage of all of us. There was a time where a person could be sick and be cared for based upon higher reasons than money, but Americans are trained to perceive healthcare as a luxury. We however have not been trained to see the military in the same light, even though it is more likely you die from illness than a foreigner.

I think America have plenty of private industry to ensure a very strong capitalist basis, changing one critical industry into a non for profit, public system would not destroy the vast market that exists outside of the healthcare niche. I also think there still should be private options, furthermore I think the new system should be opt out and paid for through income tax.

Oh the irony of you CONSTANTLY accusing others of reading comprehension issues...

I didn't say I was quoting our Constitution. I said other countries had it in theirs.

I said that we are guaranteed life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as an inalienable right.

You said "we are guaranteed a right to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.' " Which is in the Declaration of Independence. You are saying you think the Declaration of Independence is what exactly then? It's not the Constitution, but it guarantees rights?

that's just stupid. You should have stuck with that you don't have reading comprehension, that's better than that you think the Declaration of Independence "guarantee(s)" a right to health care

You said "we are guaranteed a right to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.' " Which is in the Declaration of Independence. You are saying you think the Declaration of Independence is what exactly then? It's not the Constitution, but it guarantees rights?

that's just stupid. You should have stuck with that you don't have reading comprehension, that's better than that you think the Declaration of Independence "guarantee(s)" a right to health care

Life is listed as an inalienable right...exactly as I stated, Hack.

Forum List

Back