Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

We crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us.

I don't doubt you crave those things. But you frankly have no idea what I crave or cling to.
What else is there? If you believe everything was created by the material world then those feelings you get are nothing more than electrochemical responses in your brain.

And again- you have no idea what I crave- you imagine you know what I crave- based upon your own personal experiences- but you have no way of knowing what I crave.

As far as things incapable of satisfying us- again speak for yourself. Many things satisfy me- from drinking the perfect pour of beer, smelling a wonderful rose, a glorious sunrise, seeing my child take her first step, seeing her graduate.

And as far as feelings being nothing more than electrochemical responses- well that is really what they are. As is- in my opinion- your belief in some diety.

I dropped acid one time. And I saw God. Truly I saw God while I was on acid- and then when I came down I realized it was just a boy with a boogy board.

Our brains are electrochemical machines- incredible electrochemical machines- that are affected by drugs and hormones and blood sugar and blood flow- I can marvel at our amazing brains without needing to give credit to some unseen hidden hand.
You crave material things because that’s all you believe exists. Even things like love are products of material things. There can be no lasting meaning because material things, even love and memories, are not permanent.

Therefore, earthly pleasure and satisfying earthy pleasure is all there is. Even things like caring for others is about satisfying earthly pleasure. You do these things for the pleasure it gives you. You don’t do these things because It is the right thing to do. In fact, there can be no concept of right or wrong.

Wow- I guess I hadn't really read your post before.

You really believe that people who don't have religion can't have moral values?

Prove that I have no concept of right or wrong since I don't believe in any fairy tales.

Prove your position.

This can be an interesting debate- and if you would prefer we can start a new thread devoted exclusively to that topic- "Can athiests have a concept of right or wrong- and related- do those who have faith in a religion have superior concepts of what is right or wrong?

We crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us.

I don't doubt you crave those things. But you frankly have no idea what I crave or cling to.
What else is there? If you believe everything was created by the material world then those feelings you get are nothing more than electrochemical responses in your brain.

And again- you have no idea what I crave- you imagine you know what I crave- based upon your own personal experiences- but you have no way of knowing what I crave.

As far as things incapable of satisfying us- again speak for yourself. Many things satisfy me- from drinking the perfect pour of beer, smelling a wonderful rose, a glorious sunrise, seeing my child take her first step, seeing her graduate.

And as far as feelings being nothing more than electrochemical responses- well that is really what they are. As is- in my opinion- your belief in some diety.

I dropped acid one time. And I saw God. Truly I saw God while I was on acid- and then when I came down I realized it was just a boy with a boogy board.

Our brains are electrochemical machines- incredible electrochemical machines- that are affected by drugs and hormones and blood sugar and blood flow- I can marvel at our amazing brains without needing to give credit to some unseen hidden hand.
You crave material things because that’s all you believe exists. Even things like love are products of material things. There can be no lasting meaning because material things, even love and memories, are not permanent.

Therefore, earthly pleasure and satisfying earthy pleasure is all there is. Even things like caring for others is about satisfying earthly pleasure. You do these things for the pleasure it gives you. You don’t do these things because It is the right thing to do. In fact, there can be no concept of right or wrong.

Prove that I have no concept of right or wrong since I don't believe in any fairy tales.

Prove your position.

This can be an interesting debate- and if you would prefer we can start a new thread devoted exclusively to that topic- "Can athiests have a concept of right or wrong- and related- do those who have faith in a religion have superior concepts of what is right or wrong?
You mean you believe in absolute morals? You don’t believe that morals can change depending on the culture or society?

Which by the way is condemning respect for people of faith which is a form of subordination of religion.

If that is the case, are you not guilty of subordinating my beliefs?
Your belief in the negative?

How exactly have I disrespected them? Have I called you any names? Have I said you were stupid for not believing in God? All I have done is question you?

All you have done is imply that atheism is subordinate to religion- that is what this thread is.

You are implying that my not believing in your fairy tales is inferior to your belief in your fairy tales.

That is what this thread is about.

As I point out over and over- I don't start threads proclaiming the superiority of atheism to faith- I don't feel a need to convince you of faith that you are wrong- or inferior.

You are one who starts these threads.

Not me.
No. I’m not. I am stating the truth. Atheists cannot prove a negative so the only way they can validate their beliefs in the negative is to criticize the beliefs of others. Is that offensive to you? Why?

See- this is where you 'true believers' so often mistake your religious faith for the 'truth'.

I don't have any need to prove anything. I have no need to prove that your god or goddess doesn't exist- frankly I am quite content with my position that i don't believe in any gods.

I don't start threads to validate my lack of belief- I respond to threads like yours- where you attempt to subordinate my position to yours.

I don't have a need to criticize your beliefs- other than in the context where I am responding to attacks by such as yourself who are trying to subordinate atheism to theism.

Remember again- you are the one who starts threads attacking atheism- I am not starting threads attacking religion.

Prove your position.

You mean you believe in absolute morals? You don’t believe that morals can change depending on the culture or society?
Not going to get distracted-

Do you really believe that people who don't have religion can't have moral values? Because that is what you said.

Prove your position.

Which by the way is condemning respect for people of faith which is a form of subordination of religion.

How exactly have I disrespected them? Have I called you any names? Have I said you were stupid for not believing in God? All I have done is question you?

All you have done is imply that atheism is subordinate to religion- that is what this thread is.

You are implying that my not believing in your fairy tales is inferior to your belief in your fairy tales.

As I point out over and over- I don't start threads proclaiming the superiority of atheism to faith- I don't feel a need to convince you of faith that you are wrong- or inferior.

Not me.
No. I’m not. I am stating the truth. Atheists cannot prove a negative so the only way they can validate their beliefs in the negative is to criticize the beliefs of others. Is that offensive to you? Why?

See- this is where you 'true believers' so often mistake your religious faith for the 'truth'.

I don't have any need to prove anything. I have no need to prove that your god or goddess doesn't exist- frankly I am quite content with my position that i don't believe in any gods.

I don't start threads to validate my lack of belief- I respond to threads like yours- where you attempt to subordinate my position to yours.

I don't have a need to criticize your beliefs- other than in the context where I am responding to attacks by such as yourself who are trying to subordinate atheism to theism.

Remember again- you are the one who starts threads attacking atheism- I am not starting threads attacking religion.
I haven’t attacked you.

And you do criticize my beliefs every time you call them fairy tales.

Prove your position.

Do you really believe that people who don't have religion can't have moral values? Because that is what you said.

Prove your position.

I believe you don’t believe in absolute right and wrong. I believe your beliefs of right and wrong are morally relativistic.

I know you believe very strongly about right and wrong. Almost all humans do. It’s one of the reasons why I believe in God. Just because we don’t agree on what is right and wrong doesn’t mean God doesn’t exists. It is because you feel so strongly about them that I know God exists.

Not me.

I haven’t attacked you.

This thread implies that atheism is inferior to theism- and that is an attack on atheists- including myself.

Again- I don't have any need to prove anything. I have no need to prove that your god or goddess doesn't exist- frankly I am quite content with my position that i don't believe in any gods.

Prove your position.

Prove your position.

I believe you don’t believe in absolute right and wrong. I believe your beliefs of right and wrong are morally relativistic.

I know you believe very strongly about right and wrong. Almost all humans do. It’s one of the reasons why I believe in God. Just because we don’t agree on what is right and wrong doesn’t mean God exists. It is because you feel so strongly about them that I know God exists.

So you are refuting your previous statement?

ven things like caring for others is about satisfying earthly pleasure. You do these things for the pleasure it gives you. You don’t do these things because It is the right thing to do. In fact, there can be no concept of right or wrong.

Not me.

I haven’t attacked you.

This thread implies that atheism is inferior to theism- and that is an attack on atheists- including myself.

Again- I don't have any need to prove anything. I have no need to prove that your god or goddess doesn't exist- frankly I am quite content with my position that i don't believe in any gods.

No. This thread does not imply that. This thread implies you can’t make an affirmative case for atheism. That the only case that can be made for atheism is attacking the beliefs of others who believe in God.

Prove your position.

Prove your position.

I know you believe very strongly about right and wrong. Almost all humans do. It’s one of the reasons why I believe in God. Just because we don’t agree on what is right and wrong doesn’t mean God exists. It is because you feel so strongly about them that I know God exists.

ven things like caring for others is about satisfying earthly pleasure. You do these things for the pleasure it gives you. You don’t do these things because It is the right thing to do. In fact, there can be no concept of right or wrong.
No. I stand by that. That is the logical consequence of materialism.

In fact it is for that reason atheists are morally relativistic.

Not me.

I haven’t attacked you.

No. This thread does not imply that. This thread implies you can’t make an affirmative case for atheism. That the only case that can be made for atheism is attacking the beliefs of others who believe in God.
Are you really so blind as to not see that is indeed an attack on atheism.

Saying that I can only justify my lack in belief in any god implies I need to justify my lack of belief in any god.

Again- with the stamp collecting analogy- this thread implies that you cannot make an affirmative case for not collecting stamps. That the only case for not collecting stamps is attacking the desire of stamp collectors to collect stamps.

Atheists don't have to make a case for not believing in your fairy tales. It is as unnecessary as would be making a case for not collecting stamps.

I haven’t attacked you.

Saying that I can only justify my lack in belief in any god implies I need to justify my lack of belief in any god.

Again- with the stamp collecting analogy- this thread implies that you cannot make an affirmative case for not collecting stamps. That the only case for not collecting stamps is attacking the desire of stamp collectors to collect stamps.

Atheists don't have to make a case for not believing in your fairy tales. It is as unnecessary as would be making a case for not collecting stamps.
Then prove me wrong and make your affirmative case for your beliefs.

Prove your position.

Prove your position.

Great- then we are back to my previous challenge

Prove your position.

I haven’t attacked you.

Then prove me wrong and make your affirmative case for your beliefs.

Why would someone who doesn't collect stamps need to make an affirmative case for not collecting stamps?

Why do you believe that an atheist has any obligation to justify being an atheist?

Prove your position.

Great- then we are back to my previous challenge

Prove your position.

No. They can have moral values. They don’t believe moral values are absolute. So they can be anything a society decides.

Forum List

Back