Is it Reasonable to draw conclusions about a basketball game from the Box Score?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My channel options usually only allow me to watch one NBA game each night (assuming there is one), and if I have no interest in those teams I just don't bother, but I do look at the box scores every morning on ESPN, and often it seems like they tell the story of the game - one that is never printed by the sportscasters.

Take for instance the game yesterday between the Celtics and the SF Warriors. The Celtics blew them out by 52 points. A look at the box score reveals that Steph Curry only played 18 minutes. He was 2 for 13 from the field, 0-9 from beyond the arc. It looks like he was having a bad game, so they rested him and basically gave the game away. Also, in a phenomenon that pisses me off, Porzingis didn't play at all, and isn't mentioned in the box score at all. WTF?

Philadelphia beat Dallas by 4 points, with Dallas outscoring the 76er's by ten points in the fourth quarter. The big guns for Dallas - Doncic and K. Irving - had good games (Doncic had a nice Triple Double) - but Dallas' sixth man, Tim Hardaway, was 1-8, with an astounding two points. Can you say he caused the loss? Of course Embiid is still out...for the season...so any win is a plus for them.

It is surprising how often the Big Man on a team sits out and they seem to do as well as they do with him in the game. Maybe it should not be surprising since the guys on the bench are not so much weaker than those in the starting lineup.

Can you draw significant conclusions from the box score?

Why the NBA a regular season is worthless

The season is too long and teams are more interested in keeping their stars rested and healthy than winning regular season games

Forum List

Back