Is Russell Wilson a HOFer?

The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that getting into the HOF requires a look at the entire career, not just five games.

You suggested that his numbers were actually because of the system and not because he's a really good quarterback. I suppose that's fair, but I can turn that right around on you and say, with the Broncos, he's a really good quarterback playing within a flawed system.

Look at Junior Seau. He didn't get into the HOF because of his stats with the Patriots or the Dolphins. He got into the HOF because of his performance with the Chargers. His post-Chargers numbers sucked in comparison, just as Russell's post-Seahawks numbers do now...
Wilsonā€™s numbers werent particularly HOF worthy in Seattle to begin with. His decline since getting to Denver and Smithā€˜s success since taking over in Seattle (if both continue) erode his case. Thatā€™s the point. If Wilson never leaves Seattle I donā€™t think this conversation happens. I will say his greatness seems more a media creation than the reality now that heā€™s in Denver and I look at his career more closely.

If you asked me that just last year Iā€™d have said yes, the only question was would he be 1st ballot or not, based on his career trajectory. But after seeing his play so far this year if he doesnā€™t turn it around thatā€™s in question. He looks terrible. If Russ retired today is he a HOFer? Heā€™s not top 20 is any qb stat. 1-1 in the SB and the Seahawks were a defensive run centric team.

IMO the answer is no. He has to get his play back in line with how he played in the past or I think he gets left out.
Totally agree.had this question been asked prior to his second Super Bowl against the cheatriots I would have said yes but ever sense then when he decided to be a stupid fuck and listen to Pete the cheat carrol whom I strongly suspect threw that game telling him to throw the ball down the middle no matter what,ever sense then when like the stupid fuck he is he listened to him,he has never been the same elite quarterback thst he was back then and has never looked the same sense then.he was a flash in a pan whose best years are behind him,no way should he be in the hof after that,he is classless to wanting to be the highest paid player in the nfl after being a major screwup in thst Super Bowl.total asswipe.

Last edited:
Wilson is a good quarterback IMO, but not a great one, especially when he is compared to the current crop of young as well as seasoned star quarterbacks.

And, if he doesn't turn things around in Denver, before this season ends, that will negatively impact his chances of getting into the HOF even more.

JMO.
Indeed,Justin herbert of the chargers already looks like he will be a better quarterback than Wilson will ever be,he unlike Wilson is looking like hof material.

I suppose if someone like Joe Namath can make it in on the strength of 1 SB win and a ā€œguaranteeā€, Russell Wilson stands a chance. I donā€™t think he deserves it though.
Especially sense he did not guarantee the Seahawks would beat the broncos.

I think it's more than just their presence; it's what they do. They communicate well. They basically become the alpha through their action. They raise expectations and basically let it be known that "Hey, this is what we gotta do to get better, and we're gonna do it."

Brady arrived in Tampa during the height of the pandemic, even before there were vaccines ready. And while it was controversial, he basically told the team's offense that they were going to start working together in the spring, even before training camp. He set the tone. He set the expectation. I'm sure that there were a lot of players who were quietly skeptical whether Brady still really had the stuff that made him great, even if they didn't say it aloud, but once he started working with the team, I think the team realized what made Brady the living legend. It's his work ethic, his leadership, his communication, his authenticity, his ruthless determination to win. People can see through people trying to be leaders, and people really leading.

I'm not saying Russell Wilson isn't trying or that he isn't a leader or can't find a way to course correct, but he's clearly not doing the things that instill confidence in the players or even the coaches around him and it's showing. Having one of his receivers throwing his helmet down and casually mentioning to members of the press "I could have walked in" isn't an accident. It's a shot at the guy, and while we're probably making a little more out of it than what was actually intended (probably just frustration and not really a personal dig at Russell, the man), it still says something: "So far, we're not convinced you're worth your price tag, bruh."

That was not the case with Manning. Not the case with Brady. Not the case with Montana when he left SF and went to KC in 1993, and people forget, there were games when they stunk up the joint. It didn't matter because they instilled confidence in the entire offense, and even the entire team that they had someone on the field who knew how to make the team better and how to win.
:thankusmile: :yes_text12:Justifiably Nobody has faith in Wilson anymore after his major screwup in his last Super Bowl.how can anybody want to play with someone like that who would be such a retard to listen to what his coach told him to do with the Super Bowl on the line? It did not take a genius to see the cheatriots were gasping for air and were getting run over by Lynch hopeless to stop him in thst fourth quarter.a great quarterback gives his coach the middle finger in thst situation and grows balls calling his own play by giving it to Lynch,none of the hawks players could believe that asinine call,had I been in Wilsonā€™s shoes no way in hell with the Super Bowl on the line do I listen to asshole carrol.

Last edited:
Especially sense he did not guarantee the Seahawks would beat the broncos.

I think that a big part of the reason why Namath went to the Hall of Fame was due to the fact that the Jets win in Superbowl 3 against the Colts was the first time that an AFL team won a Superbowl.

If you remember, the AFL was generally considered to be second rate compared the NFL.

I remember that game like it was yesterday, and my dad and all of his buddies were watching the end in shock because they all placed good sized bets on Baltimore, and lost. A lot of people did. It was considered one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

Years later, I got to be good friends with John Mackey(RIP), who was the tight end for the Colts, and he told me that they were overconfident, because they believed that it was just "totally impossible" for an AFL team to beat them.

There are definately some players who made it to the HOF based on one event that changed NFL history.

And Namath is one of those players.

JMO

I think that a big part of the reason why Namath went to the Hall of Fame was due to the fact that the Jets win in Superbowl 3 against the Colts was the first time that an AFL team won a Superbowl.

If you remember, the AFL was generally considered to be second rate compared the NFL.

I remember that game like it was yesterday, and my dad and all of his buddies were watching the end in shock because they all placed good sized bets on Baltimore, and lost. A lot of people did. It was considered one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

Years later, I got to be good friends with John Mackey(RIP), who was the tight end for the Colts, and he told me that they were overconfident, because they believed that it was just "totally impossible" for an AFL team to beat them.

There are definately some players who made it to the HOF based on one event that changed NFL history.

And Namath is one of those players.

JMO

Agreed,yeah had that just been a normal Super Bowl played like five or ten years later after it was coined the Super Bowl I seriously doubt he goes into the hof because that was what mostly rode him to thst,his play on the field was nothing amazing that stood out from every other quarterback or anything.he was just average.

Post a list of all time great QBs where Namath is ahead of Rothlisberger. Iā€™ll wait.
You're conflating stats with impact.

I know Namath wasn't some great QB skills-wise, but all sports have moments in their history that deserve to be in the HOF.

Namath's guarantee is arguably one of, if not the, most notorious moment in NFL history. The HOF is a story of a sports history.

If you asked me that just last year Iā€™d have said yes, the only question was would he be 1st ballot or not, based on his career trajectory. But after seeing his play so far this year if he doesnā€™t turn it around thatā€™s in question. He looks terrible. If Russ retired today is he a HOFer? Heā€™s not top 20 is any qb stat. 1-1 in the SB and the Seahawks were a defensive run centric team.

IMO the answer is no. He has to get his play back in line with how he played in the past or I think he gets left out.
Was he ever in the World Series? I never heard of him

You're conflating stats with impact.

I know Namath wasn't some great QB skills-wise, but all sports have moments in their history that deserve to be in the HOF.

Namath's guarantee is arguably one of, if not the, most notorious moment in NFL history. The HOF is a story of a sports history.
Youā€™re conflating someone who ran his mouth with people who can actually play football at a HOF level. If Namath had been the reason they won that game you might have a point. Hell if heā€™d even been the reason they made it to that game you might. He threw 0 tds in that game and 3 the entire playoff run. In true Namath fashion he threw 4 picks during that playoffs though. Thereā€™s a better argument for the Jets having won that SB in spite of Namath than there is because of him. What youā€™re saying is that if the Jets defense hadnā€™t been so dominant in that game Joe Namath wouldnā€™t have made the HOF. Thatā€™s asinine

Youā€™re conflating someone who ran his mouth with people who can actually play football at a HOF level. If Namath had been the reason they won that game you might have a point. Hell if heā€™d even been the reason they made it to that game you might. He threw 0 tds in that game and 3 the entire playoff run. In true Namath fashion he threw 4 picks during that playoffs though. Thereā€™s a better argument for the Jets having won that SB in spite of Namath than there is because of him. What youā€™re saying is that if the Jets defense hadnā€™t been so dominant in that game Joe Namath wouldnā€™t have made the HOF. Thatā€™s asinine
I don't know what you're beef is with Namath.. but he is a center figure in NFL history, whether you like it or not. He's all over NFL History documentaries, does that eat at you?

I don't know what you're beef is with Namath.. but he is a center figure in NFL history, whether you like it or not. He's all over NFL History documentaries, does that eat at you?
Hes was a terrible QB who doesnā€™t deserve to be there? Pretty simple. Itā€™s not the HOF for players who ran their mouth and other people on their team delivered on their promise. If it were heā€™d be at the head of the line for induction. Heā€™s from my hometown. I wish he didnā€™t suck as an NFL QB. But he did.

Hes was a terrible QB who doesnā€™t deserve to be there? Pretty simple. Itā€™s not the HOF for players who ran their mouth and other people on their team delivered on their promise. If it were heā€™d be at the head of the line for induction. Heā€™s from my hometown. I wish he didnā€™t suck as an NFL QB. But he did.
Welp, you sound to me like the guy who says the Beatles aren't that good when most say whether you like them or not, their impact on music is unquestionable and all-time impactful.

I can't help ya brother.

Is he overrated? Yes. But because of his single offering, he's in the HOF in my book. It's a special exception.

Forum List

Back