Is there a possibility my accent would sound more local and be less noticably foreign if i lived in the USA?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Meade Skelton writes:

I can definitely hear your Austrian accent when you speak but you speak clearly so that's all that matters.

Morti asks

You have a pretty strong accent. It would take a lot for you to sound local. Newsmen here used to study the mid-west speech to try to get rid of a southern drawl or a Bronx accent. Watch some American movies and copy the way they sound. Pick a few sentences of a newscast and go over and over it until you sound like them.

You have a pretty strong accent. It would take a lot for you to sound local. Newsmen here used to study the mid-west speech to try to get rid of a southern drawl or a Bronx accent. Watch some American movies and copy the way they sound. Pick a few sentences of a newscast and go over and over it until you sound like them.
Thanks. Its interesting, i was not even aware how really "strong my accent is".

if i lived in the USA i would want to be "more American" not less, but i understand that some want to be less or strongly hyphenisid like strongly "afro american" with afro in bold, but i want to be "American". Do you think that is OWD* since "general americaness is associated with white christian protestants and english language"?

*OWD is short for off-white dillema, some guy invented that on another forum and it means you want to be white, or more white then you are, and such... you are a self-hater and wannabe...

I thought you were a love child spawned by a Nazi Officer whose family hid in theTyrol and pretended to be penniless itinerants .
Come on Morticia . Out with the truth .

Forum List

Back