🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is there an increase in illegal marijuana sells in states where it is legal?

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Does anyone know of any kind of statistics showing if there is an increase in illegal marijuana in states where it is legal? With the cost of legal marijuana in the states that allow it I would think that the illegal market would pick up especially with more people using it because of the legal expensive marijuana being used so openly.

So because it's legal you're saying that makes the temptation more tempting to go ILLEGAL? :rofl:

I've never said to myself...beer is legal. So let me bypass that and skip on down to WV for some moonshine!

It's sales, and the only thing I've seen on is an interview with a southern CO sheriff, he hadn't notice any decline.

So because it's legal you're saying that makes the temptation more tempting to go ILLEGAL? :rofl:

I've never said to myself...beer is legal. So let me bypass that and skip on down to WV for some moonshine!
You can make your own beer, so you could grow your own pot. Tax free!

Does anyone know of any kind of statistics showing if there is an increase in illegal marijuana in states where it is legal? With the cost of legal marijuana in the states that allow it I would think that the illegal market would pick up especially with more people using it because of the legal expensive marijuana being used so openly.
it's only illegal if you enjoy it, no matter what state you are in.:cool:

12-5-16-COTW-234x200.png

December 5, 2016
Chart: Healthy markups for MJ strains with celebrity names

By Eli McVey

Celebrity-branded marijuana strains are commanding a premium in recreational markets by capitalizing on name recognition and sophisticated branding.

The average markup of a celebrity-branded strain versus its unbranded counterpart is approximately 24%, which often equates to $5-$10 more per eighth, according to an analysis by Marijuana Business Daily.

Ben and Jerry of Vermont were not available for comment.

Last edited:

Perhaps if you could buy it at a cheaper price it would be more luring. If you could buy your same beer at a much cheaper price many would do it.

I'd say yes here in mass . But that's cause legal dispenseries haven't been set up yet .

Why does any oppose legalizing it? What is their logic? Why is it their business?

. If that moonshine was 50 cents a jar instead of the way more expensive beer, then you might not make the drive, but you would be buying it by the case over the Internet if you could.

Report: Colorado Better Than Washington At Tamping Down Pot Black Market

The effect on crime seems to have been as one would predict. Colorado’s authorities reckon licensed sales—about 90 tonnes a year—now meet 70% of total estimated demand, with much of the rest covered by a “grey” market of legally home-grown pot illegally sold. In Washington licensed sales accounted for only about 30% of the market in 2014, according to Roger Roffman of the University of Washington. Washington’s large, untaxed and rather wild-west “medical” marijuana market accounts for a lot of the rest. Still, most agree that Colorado’s lower prices have done more to make life hard for organised crime.

The article points out that lot's of people may grow their own now too. This all is great news, if it means less people are being forced into crime, or situations with criminals.

The effect on crime seems to have been as one would predict. Colorado’s authorities reckon licensed sales—about 90 tonnes a year—now meet 70% of total estimated demand, with much of the rest covered by a “grey” market of legally home-grown pot illegally sold. In Washington licensed sales accounted for only about 30% of the market in 2014, according to Roger Roffman of the University of Washington. Washington’s large, untaxed and rather wild-west “medical” marijuana market accounts for a lot of the rest. Still, most agree that Colorado’s lower prices have done more to make life hard for organised crime.

The article points out that lot's of people may grow their own now too. This all is great news, if it means less people are being forced into crime, or situations with criminals.
. The problem with pot, is there haven't been long time impact studies to determine the cost benefits or negative impact on society.

Freedom is freedom. What people do in their backyard is their business. Soda has god awful effects on society too....but it shouldn't be banned.

doesn't seem marijuana use is highest in states where marijuana is legal

17 stoner states: Where's marijuana use highest?

. The problem with pot, is there haven't been long time impact studies to determine the cost benefits or negative impact on society.

actually there have.

and it seems there are fewer negative effects from marijuana than alcohol.

If it is cheaper, I'm sure it happens a lot.

That is from 2009.

doesn't seem marijuana use is highest in states where marijuana is legal

17 stoner states: Where's marijuana use highest?

They haven't even started taxing it as much as most "sins". The more they tax, the bigger the black market will become.

Colorado Lost $25,000,000 to The Black Market

Just a quick google search brought this up.

If it's cheaper, if it's the same quality, if it was in a nice neighbirhood, if it was your buddy....yes, you can turn any fact on its head with an if. But you're not going to find the same quality CONSISTENTLY on the streets. So even if it is cheaper you can't be sure.

They haven't even started taxing it as much as most "sins". The more they tax, the bigger the black market will become.

Colorado's 2015 Marijuana Tax Results: $135 Million, $35 Million Going to Schools - MARIJUANA POLITICS
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...5 Marijuana Tax, License, and Fees Report.pdf

Just a quick google search brought that up

Lost to the black market? They don't have jails in Colorado?

Forum List

Back