Is Trump's Wall Negotiable?

It's a serious question.

Illegal immigration has been a driving factor for his most fervent supporters, and much of their anger towards the Republican establishment has come from the GOP's willingness to cut a deal on immigration reform.

So if Trump changes his mind on the wall, what happens?

Trump will just say ........ I tried but they don't let me............ Now it's up to him to prove complete his promises.
Trump will use his Bully Pulpit...extensively.
And you damn well know it.

Give the man a chance. I’ve under estimated him for an entire year and was wrong twice. Lets see where we are in 2018 and if the have even bought half the land they need. The acquisition costs alone are going to be cost-prohibitive.

NOPE. Because illegal immigration happens at the airport. :lmao:

Last year alone about 482k over stay and violated their visa. This not a joke.

The idea that murderous thieves can enter though the window is no reason to not lock the door.

But you knew that.

YOu are just playing silly sophist games.

All 20+ millions?
Wrong.............. I am not a sophista nor play games. What I post are the reality. You are so fascinated with our borders to the south but you are neglecting to realize who are the biggest culprit.

Illegal immigrants who overstay visas almost never caught, feds admit

Immigration agents catch an abysmally small percentage of the illegal immigrants who arrived on visas but overstayed their welcome, authorities admitted to Congress Tuesday, describing a loophole that those around the globe are increasingly using to gain a foothold in the U.S.
At least 480,000 people overstayed their visas last year, adding to a backlog that’s reached some 5 million total, members of Congress said. But immigration agents launched investigations into just 10,000 of them, or about 0.2 percent, and arrested fewer than 2,000, less than 0.04 percent, saying the others don’t rise to the level of being priority targets.

The idea that murderous thieves can enter though the window is no reason to not lock the door.

But you knew that.

But paying millions of dollars for a door, for them to then enter through the window is crazy. Why not spend enough on the door and the windows together?

It is not credible that you are unaware that Trump has policies posted to deal with the "window".

You are dishonestly trying to attack a strong part of a better immigration policy that would be good for America.

Because of dishonest people like you, we never had a real nuanced and in depth, in detail discussion on the issue, AND NEVER CAN.

WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING AND DO IT NOW!!!

But you knew that.

All 20+ millions?
Wrong.............. I am not a sophista nor play games. What I post are the reality. You are so fascinated with our borders to the south but you are neglecting to realize who are the biggest culprit.

Illegal immigrants who overstay visas almost never caught, feds admit

Immigration agents catch an abysmally small percentage of the illegal immigrants who arrived on visas but overstayed their welcome, authorities admitted to Congress Tuesday, describing a loophole that those around the globe are increasingly using to gain a foothold in the U.S.
At least 480,000 people overstayed their visas last year, adding to a backlog that’s reached some 5 million total, members of Congress said. But immigration agents launched investigations into just 10,000 of them, or about 0.2 percent, and arrested fewer than 2,000, less than 0.04 percent, saying the others don’t rise to the level of being priority targets.

Your link and excerpt does not support anything you said.

1. It does not support your claim that the majority of illegals are visa overstays.

2. It does not support your claim that I am obsessed with the border.

3. It does not support your claim to NOT be dishonest.

My point stands.

But you knew that.

But paying millions of dollars for a door, for them to then enter through the window is crazy. Why not spend enough on the door and the windows together?

It is not credible that you are unaware that Trump has policies posted to deal with the "window".

You are dishonestly trying to attack a strong part of a better immigration policy that would be good for America.

Because of dishonest people like you, we never had a real nuanced and in depth, in detail discussion on the issue, AND NEVER CAN.

Trump has policies? Last I heard he had "suggestions" and "suggestions" were changeable based on the last person he spoke to.

I'm attacking a policy because it isn't a policy, it's a "suggestion", and there doesn't seem to be much credibility to it. I had a discussion on the wall months ago and used Israel's "wall" as an example.

It's not a wall, 90% of it isn't a wall, the rest is there to stop snipers. A wall is expensive, not only in building costs but in up keep costs. In the modern world a wall isn't necessary, we're not in the Middle Ages, we have technology that can do the job far better than a wall can.

The Wall, 10 years on: The great Israeli project | +972 Magazine

Israel's wall is on a 320 km border. It cost (so far) $2.6 billion. It costs $260 million a year in maintenance.

The US border is 3,201 km long, 10 times that of the Israeli border. So, even a fence like Israel's would cost perhaps $26 billion, plus cost $2.6 billion a year in maintenance.

Change this to a wall and what would the costs be? Take in other factors and perhaps you're getting rising costs all the way.

Wow, because of me there's never been a deep discussion. Fuck off, I'm one of the few people who have had an in depth discussion. Have you had one? Probably not. Has Trump had one? No fucking way. Don't come attack me when you're sitting in a glass house.

But you knew that.

Trump has policies? Last I heard he had "suggestions" and "suggestions" were changeable based on the last person he spoke to.

That talking point has exceeded it's expiration date.

I'm attacking a policy because it isn't a policy, it's a "suggestion", and there doesn't seem to be much credibility to it.

Plenty of details on his web site. And a lot of them will be very easily implemented.

I had a discussion on the wall months ago and used Israel's "wall" as an example.

It's not a wall, 90% of it isn't a wall, the rest is there to stop snipers. A wall is expensive, not only in building costs but in up keep costs. In the modern world a wall isn't necessary, we're not in the Middle Ages, we have technology that can do the job far better than a wall can.

Generations of failure prove otherwise.

Israel's wall is on a 320 km border. It cost (so far) $2.6 billion. It costs $260 million a year in maintenance.

The US border is 3,201 km long, 10 times that of the Israeli border. So, even a fence like Israel's would cost perhaps $26 billion, plus cost $2.6 billion a year in maintenance.

Change this to a wall and what would the costs be? Take in other factors and perhaps you're getting rising costs all the way.

If it gets to be too much, I will support letting Mexico only pay for a portion of it. Beyond that, our budget is heading for 4 trillion a year. Take all the money going to sanctuary cities and use for the Wall if it comes to that.

Wow, because of me there's never been a deep discussion. Fuck off, I'm one of the few people who have had an in depth discussion. Have you had one? Probably not. Has Trump had one? No fucking way. Don't come attack me when you're sitting in a glass house.

That is one of the ways this problem has been defended by it's proponents.

BUILD THE WALL. DEPORT THE ILLEGALS. SLAM THE EMPLOYERS. DO IT NOW.

But you knew that.

I'm attacking a policy because it isn't a policy, it's a "suggestion", and there doesn't seem to be much credibility to it.

Plenty of details on his web site. And a lot of them will be very easily implemented.

I had a discussion on the wall months ago and used Israel's "wall" as an example.

If it gets to be too much, I will support letting Mexico only pay for a portion of it. Beyond that, our budget is heading for 4 trillion a year. Take all the money going to sanctuary cities and use for the Wall if it comes to that.

Saying that a talking point has reached its expiry date is simply telling me you can't be bothered to debate. Fine. Here's what no debate looks like.

Dr. [Ben] Carson, an adviser who talks to Mr. Trump, said he didn’t expect the next president to build a wall on the Mexican border, a signature promise of the campaign. “What he really wants to do is secure the border,” he said. “And there are a variety of ways of doing that. And we’re going to make sure that that gets done. So you can rest assured that those principles will be followed, but it may not necessarily be the exact letter”​

Donald Trump’s Transition Team Reshaped

But you knew that.

Saying that a talking point has reached its expiry date is simply telling me you can't be bothered to debate. Fine. Here's what no debate looks like.

You know enough to be against the policy. I know enough to support it.

THus your claim that there are not enough "details" is an absurd dodge, nothing more.

Dr. [Ben] Carson, an adviser who talks to Mr. Trump, said he didn’t expect the next president to build a wall on the Mexican border, a signature promise of the campaign. “What he really wants to do is secure the border,” he said. “And there are a variety of ways of doing that. And we’re going to make sure that that gets done. So you can rest assured that those principles will be followed, but it may not necessarily be the exact letter”​

Ann Coulter had a great line recently.

She said that Trump's detractors "did not take him seriously, but that they instead took him LITERALLY."

While his supporters, "took him seriously, not literally."

I agree with Carson that the principles will be followed.

THat being said, I fully expected a serious Wall to be built.

If he does secure the border, it will be more than any previous president has ever done.

Why are you against securing the border?

It seems like Trump has been walking back from many of the things he's been saying over the past few months - from punishing women who have abortions to minimum wages to taxes to banning Muslims. Everything is a starting point for negotiations. And his supporters are all fine with that, it appears.

But what about the wall?

If Trump says the wall is negotiable, what will be the reaction of his most diehard supporters? Will they still say its OK because everything is negotiable?

It seems like Trump has been walking back from many of the things he's been saying over the past few months - from punishing women who have abortions to minimum wages to taxes to banning Muslims. Everything is a starting point for negotiations. And his supporters are all fine with that, it appears.

But what about the wall?

If Trump says the wall is negotiable, what will be the reaction of his most diehard supporters? Will they still say its OK because everything is negotiable?

But what about the wall?

I find the willingness to negotiate a balanced solution to America's problems refreshing..

Trump's pretty well walking back what the left wing news sources over inflated in the first place, punishing women more than they already are or banning all muslims ... only the left wing media and their true believers fell for that crap.

First of all:

This poster has not voted for decades. But in the next
election I will be 1st in line and vote for Donald Trump.

But this wall thing, it just sounds like a screwball idea.

Has anyone investigated the possibility of some type of electronic
surveillance system. That is probably also impractical and would
not work either. But at least it would not be as gawdy.

In re the rest of your message. Common sense and rational
thinking is never not a good idea.

But what about the wall?

WOW, you wall people started out sensible, increased border security, maybe wall. Trump said wall, OK, you supported him on that no problem. then people started to worry about costs and other problems created by a total wall the full length of our border. Trump said NO, I WANT MY WALL. & nothing less. people said can we modify this? Trump said NO NO NO, I want my wall don't care what it costs don't care will send military, will shut down the government, want MY wall. my people will back me till it gets done.
Problem, its all of Americas wall. any cost any problems it creates become all Americans wall. think the largest part of us are in favor of border security, but not shoot from the hip demands, lacking a clear defined plan forward.

WOW, you wall people started out sensible, increased border security, maybe wall. Trump said wall, OK, you supported him on that no problem. then people started to worry about costs and other problems created by a total wall the full length of our border. Trump said NO, I WANT MY WALL. & nothing less. people said can we modify this? Trump said NO NO NO, I want my wall don't care what it costs don't care will send military, will shut down the government, want MY wall. my people will back me till it gets done.
Problem, its all of Americas wall. any cost any problems it creates become all Americans wall. think the largest part of us are in favor of border security, but not shoot from the hip demands, lacking a clear defined plan forward.
Try reading the 2007 Secure Fence Act. The Stablishment signed into law a commitment to 700 miles of double fence barriers across the border.

WHERE THE HELL IS IT?

We were also promised a fence/wall in the 1984 deal on immigration reform, but never got it.

IF Trump gives us a 30' wall of steel and concertina along the top, he has my vote in 2020 no matter what else he might do.

I am sick of these professional politicians lying to us about everything we need while they then kowtow to corporations and give them tax breaks and sweetheart deals every which way the wind blows.

Forum List

Back