Is violence regional or religious?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
On several threads recently where people have been (often rightly) condemning Islamic violence, I have been surprised to find that many of the same posters were not aware of - or terribly interested in - violence occuring in neihbouring countries.

It seems that Islamic violence grabs a lot more headlines than violence perpetrated against Muslims.

Alongside this, we also need to consider that there are only really three countries with large Hindu populations, and only eight which are largely Buddhist. By contrast, there are 40 countries which could be considered Islamic - making it difficult to compare the real prevalence of violence across the different religions.

But if we consider recent violence by region, we could come up with something like this:

West Africa:

Cote D'Ivoire (Christian vs Islam), Nigeria (Christian vs Islam), Mali (Islam) Liberia (Christian) Sierra Leone (Christian) Guinea Bissau (Christian).

East Africa

Somalia (Islam) Sudan/Darfur (Islam vs Christian) Kenya (Christian)

Central& South Africa

CAR (Christian) DR Congo (Christian) Rwanda (Christian) Burundi (Christian)

Asia

India (Hindu) Sri Lanka (Buddhist vs Hindu) Philippines (Islam vs Christian) Cambodia (Buddhist), Pakistan (Islam) .

Middle East

Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq (all Islam)

Elsewhere

Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia (all Christian)

Islam: 13 out of 40 Muslim Countries 32%
Christian: 16 out of dozens 20% or so
Hindu: 2 out of 3 66%
Buddhist: 2 out of 8 25%

Hence, my feeling is that conflicts are more often regional than religious.

This list of conflicts is not complete, of course. It's an overview.

I think your list is skewed to show Christianity as in the majority.

The truth is that most revolutions/rebellions/etc are currently under the auspices of Islam and no amount of Redneck Liberal efforts can change the facts.

On several threads recently where people have been (often rightly) condemning Islamic violence, I have been surprised to find that many of the same posters were not aware of - or terribly interested in - violence occuring in neihbouring countries.

It seems that Islamic violence grabs a lot more headlines than violence perpetrated against Muslims.

Alongside this, we also need to consider that there are only really three countries with large Hindu populations, and only eight which are largely Buddhist. By contrast, there are 40 countries which could be considered Islamic - making it difficult to compare the real prevalence of violence across the different religions.

But if we consider recent violence by region, we could come up with something like this:

West Africa:

Cote D'Ivoire (Christian vs Islam), Nigeria (Christian vs Islam), Mali (Islam) Liberia (Christian) Sierra Leone (Christian) Guinea Bissau (Christian).

East Africa

Central& South Africa

Asia

India (Hindu) Sri Lanka (Buddhist vs Hindu) Philippines (Islam vs Christian) Cambodia (Buddhist), Pakistan (Islam) .

Middle East

Elsewhere

The history of christianity is filled with blood and the sword, it has been defanged and declawed for the most part , although their are still remnants of nutters out their, the same has to be done to Islam

you should go ask a Muslim that question...let us know how it turns out

another hate religion thread...oh goody

The truth is that most revolutions/rebellions/etc are currently under the auspices of Islam and no amount of Redneck Liberal efforts can change the facts.

If so, it is not deblierate - which conflicts should be added or omitted?

If so, it is not deblierate - which conflicts should be added or omitted?

Your entire approach to the question makes no sense Saigon.----perhaps
you can work on it. -----design the study

West Africa:

East Africa

Central& South Africa

Asia

Middle East

Elsewhere

I agree with you. Further, I think people use religion and even when it might appear you have a religious conflict, it really is not. I think the Israeli Palestinian conflict is a perfect illustration of that. I think about Iran under the Shah versus the present regime. The religion of Iran and its people did not change, but the attitude of the government towards Israel did. I think it has very little to do with religion, and much more to do with nations claiming positions of power within the region.

Last edited:

West Africa:

Cote D'Ivoire (Christian vs Islam), Nigeria (Christian vs Islam), Mali (Islam) Liberia
(Christian) Sierra Leone (Christian) Guinea Bissau (Christian).

East Africa

Central& South Africa

Asia

Middle East

Elsewhere

I agree with you. Further, I think people use religion and even when it might appear you have a religious conflict, it really is not. I think the Israeli Palestinian conflict is a perfect illustration of that. I think about Iran under the Shah versus the present regime. The
religion of Iran and its people did not change, but the attitude of the government towards Israel did. I think it has very little to do with religion, and much more to do with nations
claiming positions of power within the region.

you two should get together more----you can both say nothing and then
AGREE with each other of the nothing you said

Try a bit harder, Saigon----I suggest that you address individual issues
rather than come up with a WORLD VIEW ---based on "percentages"
That Percentage stuff does not always work out when dealing with a
WHOLE PILE of different issues and populations. In fact stats
(percentages---etc etc-) do MAKE SCIENCE --SCIENCE----but you need
a model from which to work ----some THEORIES to prove or disprove

always remember----two standard deviations-----<<< very important---
I forgot why

Rosie -

My point here is that many conflicts - and I am tempted to say most - are not based on ideology or even politics - they are simply based on the lust for power. This happens more often in poorer countries than wealthier ones.

I'm not convinced religion plays a major role.

Rosie -

My point here is that many conflicts - and I am tempted to say most - are not based on ideology or even politics - they are simply based on the lust for power. This happens more often in poorer countries than wealthier ones.

I'm not convinced religion plays a major role.

OH ok I agree. I am not convinced that religion
plays THE MAJOR role in most of them either. I believe
that the real issue under discussion is "CULTURAL PROPENSITY"
to violence. I do believe that religious ideology plays a major
role in shaping cultures and the reactions of those societies
to "SITUATIONS"

Forum List

Back